AVS Forum banner

Ways to watch TV using a media player wifi streaming device or similiar

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kalvin-Amber Daniels 
#1 ·
My main goal is to use a device to watch TV on the big screen (Netflix, amazon, hulu, etc//including local or national TV channels) using the internet only.
I just recently found out about XBMC (and still learning) which is a possible option for a compatible device.
Are there better/more reliable options than XBMC?

Will a Comcast cable card (if I decided to go the cable TV route) work with Samsung GX-SM530CF Cable Box and if XBMC can be installed on the player itself?
Using a Ceton Echo – Windows Media Center Extender, do you already have to have cable TV through a provider and does it connect to a computer to reach its full capabilities? (Apologies as I am a WMC n00b)
A Roku could be an option but it lacks XBMC.
Amazon fire TV could be an option as it DOES support XBMC.
Could a chromecast or CX-919 stick support XBMC?

Perhaps the GX-SM530CF might be my best option if it supports XBMC or similar.

Devices I currently own that are possible options to stream:
Chromecast
CX-919 Android 4.1.1 OS RK3188 HDMI stick
Various android smartphones
Kindle fire tablet
Vizio 60" TV model E601i-A3
Laptop computers

Does anyone have suggestions or other options or can you provide your personal home setup to stream TV over the internet?
Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Miller,

I'll take a shot. Although I think you'd have better luck outside of the general theater construction section of the forum....

What about networking you're TV and using the native apps? The vizio site for your model of TV shows amazon, netflix, and hulu in the picture....could be native and the easiest way to set that portion up. A long cat6 cable between the TV and the router would give you a stable connection. (Assuming you have high speed internet access.)

As for XBMC, we've been using it at our house for about 2 years and really like it. Have it running on a dedicated HTPC. I believe the Frodo release supports live TV provided you have a tuner installed in your PC. You could pick up the basic networks with an antenna connected to your tuner and wouldn't have a monthly bill for local channels. We don't stream too much general TV from the internet. We stream amazon prime on occasion, Hulu plus, youtube, etc...but the TV has apps for all of that.

Best of luck sir...please keep us posted.

#3 ·
Well as for the roku route your right I don't belive it supports xbmc. However it does support Plex if you care to look into that. I use plex in my home and love it however really I only use it for digitally streaming already owned content like movies and such. As for TV as in live TV have you concidered a digital antena to get you your locals? Also there is something called HD Prime and there is even a forum here dedicated for it. Basically it uses a cable tuner card and allows you to send live tv to any pc and (I believe) smart tv. However I have not tried to use it myself. And yea DJearl is right as for any newer TV will come with apps that would give you your youtube, hulu, netflix stuff so a digital antena to fill in the locals would be good. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for TV distrabution in my basement as well as I'll have a projector, as well as at least 2 other HD TV's setup.

#4 ·
Looking at your equipment, I would recommend an Amazon Fire Tv.

I have it and it runs xbmc flawlessly. I've never had an issue with it.

I installed xbmc and made it replace the home launcher so when you turn it on it goes straight to xbmc (with an option to go back to amazon stock)

pretty cool and at $100 I think its the best option. I live by the fire tv and will recommend it to anyone looking to stream or have xbmc on tv.

Also, might be worth it to note that I have it probably 50 ft. from the router through walls and it streams just fine on wifi.

Also with the kindle fire tablet I think it'll be easy to mirror cast your tablet to your tv via the Amazon fire tv.

Just my $0.02, Good luck!

#5 ·
I think you really need to decide your true objectives before a real recommendation can be made.

When most people want to just use internet for their TV viewing, it means they want to cancel their cable or satellite subscription, yet you are considering paying Comcast for television service to get a cable card...why wouldn't you just use that service that you're paying for?

There are ways to do things, but it would be a huge PITA if you're going to pay Comcast anyway. If you're paying Comcast, just use their feed. Get a Roku or Amazon Fire or AppleTV for Netflix, Hulu, etc., but don't waste your time running XBMC to try and get what you're already paying Comcast for.

An antenna is the easiest way to get your local channels if you don't want to pay Comcast. TiVo or a ChannelMaster DVR+ are great ways to add DVR functionality to your antenna.

Most legal apps (ABC, ESPN, HBO, etc) require a cable or satellite subscription to login and view the content, and not all subscriptions will get you into all the apps.

Are you looking for easy, cheap, free, quality, what?

#6 ·
Thank youeveryone for your suggestions. I do notcurrently have Comcast cable TV, I just wanted to find out if a cable cardwould work with the GX-SM530CF. I amcurrently deployed and have not yet gotten a chance to test anything outyet.

What I amthinking about doing is use a HDHomerun Plus to stream local channels from anantenna, use a Amazon fire TV for my main TV for XBMC and other apps, use PMCon my desktop PC (along with USENET, Sickbeard and/or sickrage, etc) andfinally install XBMC (and plex) on all applicable devices.

What do youthink?

I am currentlyusing powerline but does anyone have any experience with MoCA adapters and canprovide feedback?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.