WaterBottle's Modest Media Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WaterBottle's Modest Media Room (fixed)

Hello everyone. I lurk on the forums alot and you guys have given me a ton of inspiration for my room. I've been working on it for a while, but it is finally getting close to where I am satisfied. Comments are welcome.

Also, I apologize for the image quality. I forgot to take decent pictures before I moved everything out of the room, so I only have a couple of phone pics of the pre-painted walls. For the "after" pics, I tried to get good shots, but unfortunately the light is pretty poor in the room. One thing I will definitely be changing is the new ceiling fan/light that I installed, as it is does not allow for nearly enough light for my tastes. I do have a decent camera (Canon T3i), but I'm limited in terms of lenses (50mm 1.8, kit 18-55 IS, and 8mm aspherical fisheye). So, I can choose between a 1.8 aperture with (extremely) narrow field of view and shaky hands, a (relatively) narrow field of view with no shaky hands, or a wide but distorted field of view with poor aperture and iffy image quality. Long story longer, I wish I had better pics and will try to upload better ones once I change the ceiling fan and/or get a better wide angle lens.

Room
  • Size: 13' x 12' x 8'
  • Throw: 12' from screen wall to projector lens
  • Paint: Sherwin Williams Emerald Matte
  • Paint Colors: Attitude Gray SW 7058 for the non-screen walls and ceilings and Rock Bottom SW 7062 for the screen wall
  • Light Control: There is one window, controlled with a dark bluish-gray blackout drape from JCPenney. I went with the darker paint and it made a world of difference compared to the beige walls I had before. Also, I have a big piece of velvet that I drape over the front of the TV when we watch movies to prevent glare from the side. Also, all of the pictures were taken while it was full daylight outside. So, the combination of the paint and the drape are doing a pretty good job of eliminating ambient light.

Furniture
  • Couch: Ikea Kivik sofa in Dansbo dark gray
  • Under Screen Stand: Ikea Lack (no feet)
  • TV Entertainment Center: Ikea Expedit entertainment center w/gray cube inserts from Target
  • Bookshelves: Ikea Billy w/ glass doors for books and blu-rays, Expedit w/ gray cube inserts from Target for projector stand
  • Rug: Dark bluish-gray from Ikea

Video
  • Projector: Epson 5030 UB. This is my first projector, and I have been very satisfied with it to date. Before I got it home, I was worried that the image would be less than sharp and that the blacks would not be dark enough. Those turned out to be unfounded worries, and the projector has been as good as the reviews and forum posts led me to believe.
  • Screen: Elite Screens ezFrame R120WH1 - 120" in CineWhite. This screen is a definite weakpoint in the system. The screen would be ok, but it has some faint markings right in the middle. It is not a problem unless we are watching a scene in which that area of the screen is white or very light. You can see the markings when the projector is off but it's very faint. With the projector on it becomes more pronounced.
  • TV: Vizio E601i-a3 - 60" LED TV. This is a decent budget TV with a few quirks that bother me occasionally (terrible remote, poor cable input locations). But the image quality is good for a $900 TV.
  • Monitor: HP 2511x - 25" LED monitor
  • Source 1: PS4. I plan on upgrading to the Oppo BDP 103D in the next couple of years. I am very interested in the potential benefit of the Darbee component with a projector.
  • Source 2: PC (Antec P280, Intel 3770, 16GB RAM, 1TB WD Black, 240GB Intel 530 SSD, EVGA 560 Ti)

Audio
  • Receiver: Pioneer SC-1323-K. I'm not 100% sold on this receiver, as it has a somewhat tinny sound and the menus are not that great (although I haven't owned a receiver with great menus). I shouldn't complain about the non-warm sound, as there were ample posts on the forums about it, all of which I ignored. So...I may be upgrading this at some point. I would also like a receiver with 3 HDMI out.
  • Front Speakers: KEF Q700 (2 for front surround). These speakers are fantastic. I ended up ordering them from accessories4less for about $450/each (supposedly open box) and they have been well worth it. Two channel music is very good.
  • Center Speaker: KEF Q600C. Also very good, caught it on sale on Amazon for $460 so I went with it over the Q300C. I ended up having to sacrifice matching colors on the fronts and center, as I wanted to keep costs down and those were the colors that were on sale. I typically keep the center channel covered in a piece of velvet anyway to keep reflections down.
  • Surrounds: Two Onkyo surrounds that I've had for a while, not sure of the model. My next upgrade will be to add two KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers.
  • Sub: BIC America F12. I like this sub but I feel like it lacks clarity and sometimes sounds muddy.
  • Headphones: HiFiMan HE-400 and Sony Pulse Elite Edition. For anyone thinking about headphones, the HE-400s are probably the single most impressive piece of my system in terms of value. They aren't cheap ($300-$400), but that is pretty affordable in the realm of high-end headphones.

Sonyad and Epyon415 like this.

Last edited by WaterBottle; 07-05-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Last edited by WaterBottle; 07-05-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Last edited by WaterBottle; 07-05-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

And here are a couple of shots of the prior paint:

Last edited by WaterBottle; 07-05-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-05-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the issues with the pics, I had trouble getting them to show up in the thread. I hope that is now fixed
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 209
For that size room, that is AWESOME and rather inspiring. If I didn't need an office more than a mini-theater I'd totally copy what you did here.

If you get a chance share your equipment list!

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very Good looking Projector, I'm thinking of upgrading mine from the Optoma hd131xe, I just might go with the epson. The picture is very clear.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
For that size room, that is AWESOME and rather inspiring. If I didn't need an office more than a mini-theater I'd totally copy what you did here.

If you get a chance share your equipment list!
Thanks for the kind words. The equipment list is at the top before the pics.

I did have to concede a little bit to get everything to fit the way I wanted it to, and desk space was ultimately something I had to reduce. Basically I found a narrow desk at Ikea that would fit in the closet. I put the computer, monitor, and receiver in the closet and everything worked out. I've actually come to like the small space for my computer desk. I have found that it does two things: 1) forces me to keep my desk neat, since I don't have much space and 2) reduces distractions because I'm literally in a closet.

The only thing lacking is a decent small chair for the desk. I'm making due with a kitchen chair, but I'm on the lookout for a small and lightweight chair to use.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great setup! I love KEF speakers, I bought my dad a set several years ago (also from accessories4less) and they sound really good. For low light photography situations nothing beats a tripod. You can pick one up super cheap on Amazon and you'll be surprised how often they come in handy.

I don't want FOP, *********! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbalove1982 View Post
Very Good looking Projector, I'm thinking of upgrading mine from the Optoma hd131xe, I just might go with the epson. The picture is very clear.
Thanks. The picture is sharper than I had imagined it would be and it is very bright. Due to the brightness and my short throw distance, it really brings out the flaws in my screen.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Fantastic! Modest was a very accurate description and I think your room is the staple for most entry level HT enthusiasts! If my modest basement build turns out half like yours did I will be a happy man. Good job and great looking setup!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Fantastic! Modest was a very accurate description and I think your room is the staple for most entry level HT enthusiasts! If my modest basement build turns out half like yours did I will be a happy man. Good job and great looking setup!
Thanks for the compliment, good luck on your basement.