Advice on putting a/v components in a closet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
pre-wiring for a/v and a/v in coat closet

Hi there new here, great site with lots of good information!

I am looking to put my tv over my fireplace and have a clean look with no wires. I would like to build shelving into the downstairs coat closet around the corner, 10 ft behind the couches, and wanted to make sure I am on the right track. I plan on running a long HDMI cable from the tv to the closet, along with wiring the closet with appropriate HDMI, coax, speaker wire, power, etc. I plan on placing the following components in the closet:

Cable or directv box
Blue ray player
Modem and router
Receiver
Room for future expansion (security system or home automation crap)

I plan on installing these to the wall for shelving:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/ShelfTrack-...812/100194576/

http://t.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-...853/100040392/

http://t.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-...300/100172347/

I also am looking for IR options for the remote (maybe a programmable Logitech or something as long as it's not too pricey). I came across this when I was searching here to help with the IR range and directional problem, but does it physically need to be wired from near the tv to the closet??

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Prod...geGallery/9895

Considering cooling, the house has central a/c, but this would be a coat closet off of the garage. Would it be sufficient to put a fan above or below each shelf blowing/pulling air up? Would I need an additional exhaust type fan up top to exhaust the hot air maybe into the garage?

I want to keep this as simple and clean as possible. I would definitely like to keep the closet door closed, and that complicates remote usage (closet is situated about 10feet behind the couches and a good 30 feet from the tv) as well as keeping components reasonably cool.

I am looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or changes that I should consider while removing popcorn and running wiring to the closet, as well as IR options (rather not do RF and get too complicated) and cooling considerations. Does my plan make sense or am I going off in the wrong direction?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tuff guy; 07-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Tuff - You might check out the harmony ultimate with the hub. It'll let you control your devices over IR, bluetooth, and wifi. Pretty cool stuff. If that's too pricey you might consider the Harmony 650. If you have 8 devices or less and go with the IR repeater the 650 should work fine. I tend to favor logitech remotes.

You'll need good airflow into the closet to keep things running at a decent temperature. If it gets too hot you could trim the top/bottom of the door a little to increase air flow. One other thing to consider is how you'll access the back of the components. A sliding shelf or a cart on wheels might be something to consider to make any adjustments down the road a little easier.

I'm confused too.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok so I ordered the following:

50 ft 3.5 mm cable for IR extender
IR extender
50ft HDMI cable
50ft cat 6 cable (in case I need to do hdmi over Cat 6 due to previous hdmi cable not being up to par)
250 ft speaker wire
50ft RCA mono subwoofer cable
HDMI wall plates

Can you tell me if I overlooked anything? Attached is a screenshot of the exact items I ordered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.2 KB, 7 views)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page