Too much reflected light in multi-use room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Too much reflected light in multi-use room?

I have a front room that I partially redid as a HT, but I wonder if this hybrid family room/home theater can ever be successful. I think the biggest negative is that I went with a (too light for HT) light green (plus mural on the left wall as you face the screen). I haven't painted the ceiling yet but I was thinking of making it look like what you would see if you laid down in a bamboo forest and looked up.

I mounted the screen off center on its wall in an effort to completely cover the window when it is down.

I guess my reason for posting is to ask for alternatives to dark colors on walls/ceilings. I'm thinking about trying a screen with a smaller angle of reflection (like the DaLite High Power).

So, what do you think? Do I have to repaint the walls/ceiling dark colors and live with a very dark family room? Would a different screen material make much difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-05 07.38.29.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	164169   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-05 23.39.17.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	164177   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-15 12.35.43.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	164185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
HP screen material is off the market for now.
It would not help much anyway, I have the older 2.8 Gain HP screen.
You need No ambient light and NO reflected light within 5' of your screen. This is physics and unless you want to spend a boat load of money on a specialty screen that can help with this, the only thing to do is fix the issue.

Take a look at my living room.
The ceiling is permanent but I put up wall treatment each night to use the projector. The wall treatment is held in place with magnets, take about 2 minutes to install and 1 minute to remove and fold up..
Some pictures during Living Room update

Day time

Night time

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have seen some amazing HT projects on this site, but with the given limitation of wanting the room to function as a "normal room" most of the time and used as a HT room when you want it to...your solution is quite elegant.

I may stop by the fabric store at lunchtime today.

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmfla View Post
I have seen some amazing HT projects on this site, but with the given limitation of wanting the room to function as a "normal room" most of the time and used as a HT room when you want it to...your solution is quite elegant.

I may stop by the fabric store at lunchtime today.

Thanks for the response.
You want triple black velvet. SY fabric online sells it a for less than joann but it is not as good as the Joann Royalty 3 for hanging. Sign up at the Joann website for email coupons, they do a 50% off about once a month.. sometimes a 60% off. Their velvet just went up from $14.99 to I think 19 but it is still worth the extra if you want to hang it.
PM me with any questions but that link as comments under the photos once you click the thumbs.. not a full how-to, but explains most..
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went ahead and painted my ceiling! It went from dingy white (white ceiling not painted in years) to a beautiful dark blue green matching the dark tones in my mural. I will post some pics this evening but I doubt they will be able to capture the subtle color variations which I achieved with a small foam roller.

The screen was mounted so close to the ceiling I was getting a ton of reflected light lighting up the room and washing out the screen. Just painting the ceiling made a big difference as I'd say the room light was reduced approx. 50%.

Funny thing is, my wife did not notice the change for 2 days! Finally she said "You painted the ceiling"...and she liked it.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some shots of the room with the darker ceiling.
They were taken with my cell phone camera so they are not the best representations, but I think you can see the difference from the shots posted above. These were shot during the day so there is substantial light in the house in general. The darker ceiling has reduced the reflected light considerably.

I really like the pattern I got using a foam roller. I had planned on this just being the first coat but the resulting "cubist" pattern really looks good so I may just keep it like it is.

The area just to the right of the screen still has light coming in between the blinds. I decided to fill in that area with the darker color as well and will define this as two or three trees.

I realize my efforts pale in comparison to what some of you have done, but I'm trying to sort of do a stealth home theater. When it is not in use it still works well as a family room.

I've got some screen material samples coming in the mail so I hope to find a screen material better suited to my environment. I want to meet half way instead of totally altering the space to work with my current screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-21 17.27.59.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	174394   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-21 17.24.48.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	174410   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-21 17.18.45.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	174418   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-21 17.26.02.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	174426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-21 17.18.10.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	174434  

Name:	2014-07-21 17.18.55.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	174442  
Boomassiv likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

A friend pointed out that matte paint would have been better...and I agree...but it was really a spontaneous paint job so I used paint left over from the mural. It was latex satin. If all I had had was gloss I definitely wouldn't have used that!

I now have samples coming from both Stewart and Da-Lite.

I wonder about those who have the black screens that are mounted on the wall as opposed to pull down or electric screens that are up when not in use. The black screens seem to be excellent for dealing with ambient light which make them great for multi-use rooms, but on the other hand, having a huge black object taking up much of a wall seems like it would not be aesthetically optimal. As far as I know, the black screen material is not available in pull down or electric screens, and if it is it would probably be way out of my budget.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the SI black diamond with 1.4 gain and it is very goog with ambient light. I also added light blocking window shades to make the room dark when desired. The screen color is more of a silver/grey.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmfla View Post
The black screens seem to be excellent for dealing with ambient light which make them great for multi-use rooms, but on the other hand, having a huge black object taking up much of a wall seems like it would not be aesthetically optimal..
Don't tell that to Samsung.. and the few folks that will drop $120,000 for a big TV. No, I did not type an extra zero..
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...able-pre-order
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You could use two conventional 60" Roller Blind Assemblies and resurface it with Sy Triple Plush Black Velvet and mount them high on the left side Mural Wall and the right side short wall....and Pull down / Retract them as needed.

Yes...a Flat Green would have been far better, but at this conjecture I would suppose at most you get some slight "glare" during a showing, but not overtly reflected light.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
first off, that is an awesome looking room in general. I love the peacefullness of it. Not ideal for a theater, but just cool in general.
If you want to keep the theme going for normal use, I would just do some type of draperie or fabric as mentioned above and just retract when not in use to hide it a little.

Again kudos on the room though. It looks awesome!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
first off, that is an awesome looking room in general. I love the peacefullness of it. Not ideal for a theater, but just cool in general.
If you want to keep the theme going for normal use, I would just do some type of draperie or fabric as mentioned above and just retract when not in use to hide it a little.

Again kudos on the room though. It looks awesome!
Thanks! I just don't have the house for a dedicated theater room unless I start rearranging walls and raising ceilings. My initial set-up was in a larger room in the middle of the house. Facing the screen, there is a large window to the left, the entryway with glass doors to the right, massive light coming in from the back of the room, and even glossy white tile on the floor. I had a WilsonArt Designer White laminate as my screen. I liked the way it looked as an object on the wall but there are just too many different light sources to contend with to make that room work.

I am hoping that with a few tweaks to the current room along with a better projector and a screen painted with Silver Fire 2.5 that I will at least come close to what I want.

Last edited by rpmfla; 08-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Take a look at my living room.
The ceiling is permanent but I put up wall treatment each night to use the projector. The wall treatment is held in place with magnets, take about 2 minutes to install and 1 minute to remove and fold up..
Day time

Night time

Very clever.

But, I can't figure it out - does your system drop down off the ceiling leaving no black velvet on the ceiling (first ~5ft from screen)? I've looked at the Living Room Theater Update pics and still cant figure it out.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Zaius View Post
Very clever.

But, I can't figure it out - does your system drop down off the ceiling leaving no black velvet on the ceiling (first ~5ft from screen)? I've looked at the Living Room Theater Update pics and still cant figure it out.
Thanks
Nope, that is my black hole.. stays there.. you get used to it fairly fast.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Evolution of a family room/home theater

Ok, made some significant changes to the space (see pics in first post above) and I'll post a few pics here of the changes. I had trouble getting a pic with the screen down and the lights off (which is really a good thing...it means the space is darker). I think there are pics above showing the screen down before I made these changes.

The changes I've made are an attempt to split the difference between a dedicated theater and a multi-use family room. I'm pretty happy so far, but I still need to get rid of the ratty old off white carpet the house came with and install a nice medium brown wood floor.

1. I painted the ceiling a dark blue-green which goes with the darker tones in the mural.
2. I bought an inexpensive electric HC Gray screen which works well with some ambient light.
3. I installed a box to hide the screen housing and put a bamboo forest scene along it. The image is surrounded by 1/8" glow in the dark gaffers tape, 1/2" of blue green masking tape, and an inch of black felt tape (top and bottom of the mounting board. The glow in the dark tape is subtle but when I first turn the lights off, lower the screen, and turn the projector on it provides a nice light frame around the pic which you can just barely see in the dimming light.
4. I had an old bamboo screen that I wasn't using so I painted that blue green and mounted it to the right of the screen to hide the screen's power cord and control unit. It also serves to add a larger dark area the the right of the screen when it is down, improving the perceived projected image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-05 20.25.39.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	252498   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-06 12.13.32.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	252506  
Old 09-16-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

New pics and vid

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms7zjdh8f6...23.33.mp4?dl=0

This is the first time I've tried linking to a dropbox file...hope it works.

The vid shows the room during the day with the screen dropping down and the projector coming on. The only things left to do are to replace the ratty carpet with a wood floor and hang another painting on the right wall.

When I first put the "valance" up I thought it was a bit too busy and competed with the mural too much, but the room is never really brightly lit (except for when I turned on all the lights for the one photo attached here) so it really isn't to busy. I framed the image with glow in the dark gaffer's tape (about 1/8" wide) and then blue green gaffer's tape. The top and bottom of the valance (a 10" x 12' pine board) is lined with black felt tape. The glow is only noticeable for a few minutes after the room is darkened for a film, but it is a cool added touch that I'm glad I did.

The vertical element I added to the right of the screen is an old brown bamboo screen that I had in storage and painted blue green to go with the room. It functions to hide the projection screen cord and also to add more dark space around the screen to give the projected images more punch. It works beautifully for both functions, plus it works very well as an accent to the vertical "trees".

Oh, and I finally got around to mounting my all-in-one touch screen pc on the wall.

I'm very happy with the room now and really like spending time in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-12 13.07.57.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	265186   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-05 20.25.39.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	265194  

Last edited by rpmfla; 09-16-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added more details