1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickTheGreat

post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Which one.... Lcd or projector?

My 65" plasma took a dump (don't ask, sore subject) and I will be saving up to buy something new at the end of the year. My budget would be $2000 and that's even pushing it.

My front room has pretty good light control and we mostly watch movies at night. Almost everything we watch will be from my htpc blu-ray back ups, blu-rays and standard dvds. I don't have cable so we don't casually watch tv or just have it on in the background. The absolute biggest I could go is 100" and after having a 65", I couldn't go any smaller. Our seating distance is about 11'. I don't care about having a smart tv, my internet will never be fast enough to stream anything good so that's not an issue. 3-d is kinda cool but not an absolute must. Our tv in our bedroom is a 120 refresh rate and I don't see any issues with motion so that would be good enough. I know black levels will never be as good as my plasma but I do like good picture quality ( well, $2000 good anyway) All the audio will be handled through my Denon so that's not important.

So what would be better for my situation, a front projector or something like a 70" sharp? I'm not too keen on having to replace bulbs and run a long hdmi cord in my attic but I will.

Speaking of bulbs, is there a reason they haven't developed a front projector that uses an LED light source that doesn't get hot and burns out so fast? (Edit: cool, I guess they did!!!)

Last edited by agent8; 07-17-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I prefer my cheap $349 SVGA projector to my Sharp 70 inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	165425  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm a projector guy, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be my primary TV. I don't like to turn it on for brief periods of time. But a TV, I might turn on for 5 minutes to check the weather or something.

But size does matter
jayn_j likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have a tv in the bedroom for all my wife's dramedy movies, my roku stuff and stuff I don't mind watching in bed. I am kinda thinking about a projection now. I have been looking and I see that the led projectors do not have near the lumens than a conventional projector does. Are they measured the same? What is the cut off if you can't completely control the lighting for an acceptable picture?
Anything else I should look for? Name brands? Is there anything just around the corner that I should wait for?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
In my basement, I have 7 100 watt (old style) bulbs within 8 feet (total of 12 100 watt bulbs/lights projecting down in the 16 x 19ish room). This is what an Epson HC2000 (1800 lumens max, $699 to $749 with a replacement lamp cost of $99) looks like with all the lights on with the PJ set to it's lowest setting (eco) with a lamp with 1300 hours on it projecting a 30 year old movie in 720p (Comcast) on a wall I painted white. The image size is 169 inches and the pj is set back 16ish feet.

Sunlight is worse than "lamp" light. I would suggest posting a photo of your room taken during the day and where (distance) you plan on mounting the PJ. As you can see in my photo, I have the worst possible room with the carpet and walls being an off-white color.

(Most site members recommend the Benq 1070 in the under a $1,000 range for a sharper image and better contrast/black levels, but the bulb runs more.)

post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I compared both options when I started my theater. I was thinking about the Sharp 90" TV which would have been very simple, but the PJ just gives you that movie feel and not to mention you can go really big if you want. Not to mention that some of the PJ's put out a beautiful picture. Not to mention for the money, there can be better value with a PJ. They are only going to get better, that is till the next technology come around and puts an end to the PJ. I can just see a 130" diagonal TV that is an inch think in the very near future.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Very good info, thanks guys. That picture doesn't look horrible with all the light on at all. One of the main reasons I started looking at front projectors was a daily deal I got in my email for the BenQ 1070. Some good reviews but I really like the idea of an LED source. I bought a rear projection Sony Lcd right when it was bleeding edge and spending $4500 only to have to replace the bulb at $100 a pop was getting stupid. Then, around half life of the bulb, it would start looking all dull. I would much rather have an LED type and not have a noisy fan too because I think I would have to mount it almost directly over my head. I may have to do some convincing for the wife to be fully on board.

I've been searching for a 1080P native resolution LED projector with 3d with a decent lumen rating but I'm not finding much so far. I will keep researching.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page