Home Theater Overload - Need Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home Theater Overload - Need Help

Hey everybody, I've gotten myself way in over my head with what I'm trying to set up in my small apartment and I am desperate for help. I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm starting to think I should give up and hire somebody, but looking through the forums here y'all are awesome so if anybody can help me it's you guys. I'll try to detail what I am trying to do as best I can, but there are a ton of components and so let me know if I'm leaving any crucial info off.

These are all of the pieces I am trying to make work together:

TV: Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR9
Cable Box
AV Receiver: Sony STR-DN1040
Speaker: Sony ht-xt1 sound-bar
Projector: Optoma HD20 projector
Bluray Player: Sony BDP-S3100

I also bought an HDMI 4x2 Matrix because I thought I might need it.

Originally I would switch the HDMI cable coming out of the blu-ray player between the TV and the projector, depending on what I wanted to watch a movie on, since the blu-ray player only has one HDMI port.

I have an external hard-drive with my movies on it; I normally watch them thru the blu-ray wirelessly.

I thought the receiver would solve having to do that switching back and forth between the TV and the projector manually; it has 8 HDMI outputs and 2 inputs.

I don't have room for a bunch of speakers, so I thought the sound-bar would be a good compact solution. The sound-bar has one HDMI output and three inputs. I'd like to have all my sound from all my sources coming out of it.

The TV is older so it doesn't have ARC. It does have several HDMI ports and an Optical Digital connection.

Right now I'm just sitting here and staring at everything and I have no idea how to make any of it work. I'm pretty sure I've bought too many things; it's all relatively new so I can return stuff I don't need... but I kind of don't know where to even start.

Any help would be beyond appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Hello,<br />
<br />
I understand the confusion. Look at your receiver as being the main hub or switch. If it has two HDMI outs then one will go to the tv and one to the projector. The BR player will go HDMI out to an &quot;in&quot; on your receiver. You will probably need some type of additional audio cable to go from the receiver to the sound barto cover that either optical, digital coax, or stereo RCA. I hope this helps a little. <br />
<br />
Regards<br />
<br />
Sponsored Links