Fix BluRay Pillarboxing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Fix BluRay Pillarboxing

I have an epson XGA projector (1024x768) and a Panasonic BD10, which is old enough to still send 720p through it's component outputs. XGA projectors naturally have an aspect ratio of 4:3, which is convenient because most of the movies I own on BluRay have 4:3 aspect ratios. However, all 4:3 BluRays are pillarboxed to fit widescreen TVs, and consequently my projector letterboxes the image to make it fullscreen. The resulting image is surrounded black bars. Is anyone aware of a device or trick to fix this? There is a pan-and-scan setting on my BluRay player, but it never works (perhaps Panasonic "fixed" it in one of their infamous firmware updates). I'm also trying to calculate the size of the resolution lost to see if it's even worth buying BluRays anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Did you set the display ratio in the BD player's setup menu to 4:3? You mention a "Pan and Scan" setting, so perhaps this is what you meant.

Also check the ratio setting using the remote - there's probably a toggle between a pillarbox and "full" mode that may help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Blu Ray Disc Player , pillarboxing , projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page