New House - New Theater - The Command Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Command Center - Build Thread

As of Friday July 25th the lady and I will have the keys for our new house, with a two month gap between closing and move in time, what better way to spend the time than to build a home theater and gaming room?

Took awhile to come up with a name, however since the server and office will be in the adjoining rooms and the house will be slowly converted to a smart house. The Command Center it is!

A little about the house
The house is a 1950s rambler with a little over 2100 Square Feet and a Semi-Finished basement.
While small the basement is ready to be converted into a full home entertainment center.

The plans
Currently the basement is partially finished and doesn't look like it has been touched in years.
(Wood paneling, ceiling tiles, brown carpet) Which I love, a full project is something I have always wanted.

I will be tearing out the carpet and replacing it with bamboo flooring.
That paneling has got to go. All wood paneling will be removed.
A wall will be added on the outside of the stairs from the east wall to the end of the fireplace.
Doors will be added that will lead to the media closet/office under the staircase and near the bottom of the stairs.
Centered on the long/newly added wall will be a 65" recession that will house the television.
Under the stairs a media cabinet will be added housing the various components and game consoles.
Possible removal of ceiling tiles. (depending on how they look painted)
The fireplace will be tiled and converted to electric.

Color flow
The lady and I are very big fans of the modern grey and black look.
The floor will be a dark colored wood similar to

The walls will be a light grey with either dark grey trim and doors / white trim and doors. I'm leaning towards the white in order to "enlarge" the room.

The ceiling with be a bright/flat white, with 6-8 can lights.

Gear
Television: Vizio M-Series "60
Receiver: Yamaha Aventage RXA740
Speakers: Front: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR / Center: Pioneer SP-C22 / Rear: Undecided
Game Systems: PS4, WiiU, PS3, XB1
HTPC: Custom built steam box running XBMC, CouchPotato and Sickbeard
NAS: 4tb NAS

Most of the house will be powered by Windows 8 tablets and Logitech Harmony remotes.

And finally - The Before!
The pictures do not pick up the size and layout very well, expect more once I'm in!

Last edited by Embrace; 07-18-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Progress has been made!

Demolition of the basement started late friday night, and what a pain in the ass!

The carpet was the first thing to go, this went pretty smoothly as it was taped down, it was the hell-hole underneath the carpet that is proving to be difficult.

Red 9x9 inch (likely asbestos) tiles glued down to the cement with what I can only assume is the devils adhesive. They would not budge. Although we did find a bird tile and a fish tile.

We broke an ice scraper during the process, luckily we had two on hand.

And using a hammer to shatter the tile!

After tearing up the tile and wood paneling (Say hi to Kyle everyone!):

I have no idea what the green crap is that fell from the paneling on the underside of the stairs, but it doesn't seem safe.

Replaced the old mercury thermostat with a Nest smart thermostat.

And the first Wall goes up.

Framing the door.

Drywalling. We learned that we are not very good at drywalling...

Doesn't look horrible though.

The wall above the fireplace is proving to be the most difficult part. Booo.

Back to work. More updates later!

Last edited by Embrace; 07-28-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrace View Post
Red 9x9 inch (likely asbestos) tiles glued down to the cement with what I can only assume is the devils adhesive. They would not budge. Although we did find a bird tile and a fish tile.

We broke an ice scraper during the process, luckily we had two on hand.

And using a hammer to shatter the tile!
So you found what you suspected to be asbestos tile, and did exactly what you're NOT supposed to do - break it up into pieces which scatters particles into the air - without any protection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
So you found what you suspected to be asbestos tile, and did exactly what you're NOT supposed to do - break it up into pieces which scatters particles into the air - without any protection?

The small amount we had to break isn't likely to cause any health issues, most of the tile came up easily and in one piece with an ice scraper, but would crack under pressure (IE: Stepped on) so it had to come out anyway. the hammer was mainly used to crack a corner to continue scraping.

"Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact." - National Cancer Research Center.

"A non-friable asbestos product is one in which the asbestos fibres are bound or locked into the product matrix, so that the fibres are not readily released. Such a product would present a risk for fibre release only when it is subject to significant abrasion through activities such as sanding or cutting with electric power tools. Examples of nonfriable asbestos products include vinyl asbestos floor tiles, acoustic ceiling tiles, and asbestos cement products." - We didn't release any visible dust as it was coming up.

so I'm not to worried about 20-30 broken tiles vs the thousand+ dollars to have a professional come in.

(also we all smoke like chimneys, our lungs are long gone anyway). Guess I'll find out in 10-30 years if I die.

Last edited by Embrace; 07-28-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The small amount we had to break isn't likely to cause any health issues, most of the tile came up easily and in one piece with an ice scraper, but would crack under pressure (IE: Stepped on) so it had to come out anyway. the hammer was mainly used to crack a corner to continue scraping.
I didn't expect anyone to drop dead from that exposure, but to do the work without even a simple respirator is not something I would have done...

It sounds like your actual work was less than it appeared in your post, so I suppose that's good. But I'd probably at least ask someone who knows about dealing with the residual dust - what could be done to at least minimize anything left in the room...

Quote:
(also we all smoke like chimneys, are lungs are long gone anyway)
No further commentary needed...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 18 Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No further commentary needed...
Maybe when the theater is finished I'll find another addiction.

This project is being done by a bunch of software programmers and an electronic repair guy, so its a learn as we go thing.

PS: Uneven floors make framing a bitch.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Finished framing the fireplace. This was fun, each brace holds at least 130 pounds. One strong wall.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finished framing the fireplace. This was fun, each brace holds at least 130 pounds. One strong wall.
I assume you're installing an electric fireplace insert? Have you already selected one? You'll want to have a proper path for electrical, and ensure that you're following the distance/framing requirements for that insert, both in terms of placement and rules about combustible materials (wood). IIRC, those types of inserts are designed to allow for wood construction - but make sure!

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

The fireplace will actually be capped and sealed with a non-heated electric fireplace.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The fireplace will actually be capped and sealed with a non-heated electric fireplace.
Ah, so one of these?

(Cheaper than a fireplace, too! )

Theater build photos:

post #11 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

One of these

post #12 of 18 Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

That's cool - link?

Theater build photos:

post #13 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Cool Fireplaces carries a few different models.

90% done drywalling. With the exception of mudding, that should be fun!
post #14 of 18 Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Seating has been ordered.

post #15 of 18 Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Dryall up and mudded!

Painting Started

First layer of grout

Tiles in place.

Flooring test. Clean epoxy with flakes, the flakes are silvery. Three different amounts of flake.

We will be touching up all of the paint and flooring. Trim will be installed later this week just in time for the seating to arrive.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Holy Progress Batman!

We have been busy.

The comparison shot.

Another Angle

Close up of Fireplace Progress.

The "Office" .

Lackrack in progress.

Close up of TV mounting and soon to be projector area.

And the infamous lights-off shot

Still to do:
Touch up Paint
Finish installing Trim
Paint Door
Build in wall bookcase
Get rug for under seating
Cable managment
Finish media cabinet and LackRack
Replace all the yellowed electric and HVAC hardware
Wait for seating to arrive....

The seating has been orders. We went with the Magnolia by Palliser in a OVOOVO curved configuration. Black top-grain leather and power recline.
Estimated arrival of August 13th.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Seating has arrived!

Though the room is not complete. Some touch up and trim is all thats left!

post #18 of 18 Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking through this subforum for HT setup ideas, and just wanted to comment on the whole "wearing a respirator while demo'ing" thing.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear lung protection. I'm a DIY'er that has done a lot of stuff like this, from asbestos tile, to grinding concrete, tons of drywall, and a ton of working with regular and PT wood. It's just too easy to throw on a respirator to ignore it.

If you're a smoker, that goes triple. The two risk factors (smoking and asbestos / toxic dust) are more than just additive. Look at your odds of getting mesothelioma and the various risk factors. As a smoker, you need to be that much more careful when doing DIY stuff.

I wouldn't stress over it now, but if you're going to tackle stuff like this in the future, do it right. You'll thank yourself in 20 years.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page