Hidden compartments, built in or another room? Advise needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hidden compartments, built in or another room? Advise needed!

Hey guys I'm on the process of tearing down my media room (currently laying on the couch contemplating how to redo it). I bought some hdmi baluns to run the video from another room (under stairs or furnace room) the more I think about it the more I realize the sheet mass of cables I will have to run back for speakers, subs, power, ir signals, coax, USB ECt to give it that clean everything hidden look or build shelves and have it "built in". Or maybe build out the wall have it all flush/flat with hidden storage behind it for all the goods... Maybe a panel that opens?

What do you guys think? If you have some something similar please post a photo for inspiration

Should I stock up on the millions of adapters and run it all into another room... Build shelves on the diode for that built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Shift,

I apologize I don't have pictures....

We've done a few installs a few different ways in the family. My parents like the built in cabinet look, so they went that way. We opened the walls, ran the cables, and drywalled. Then my Dad finished the built-in cabinets in front. It looks great, but had to go back after the fact and cut some holes for ventilation. Also, it's a bit of a pain to get to the rear of the components for troubleshooting and swapping out. This method did put all the components in place with short wire runs and easy access to swap DVDs, CDs, etc...

At my brothers, We mounted the TV on the wall, then fished the cables down to a media cabinet directly below the TV. Pretty standard, but it looks good and doesn't pose any complications in terms of wire runs, remotes, etc...

At my house we wired everything down to the basement storage room. I have my components on a storage rack. Once there, It's easy enough to get at the components from the front or back, swap wires, etc. We have a few long runs going back to the viewing room for the DVD player, Wii, etc. This gives a real minimalist look, but wire runs are longer and you'll need a system to repeat remote control signals. Can also be a bit of a pain to keep all the wires organized. When things go wrong, it's a lot of up and down stairs to figure out what's on the screen.

How much work are you willing to do? Opening walls an option?

I'm confused too.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

My plan was to do it in a other room however after purchasing hdmi baluns I keept dealing more and more wires that would be required and add up in cost so I returned the baluns and decided I will do a clean look with floating shelves and all wires hidden. Today I started to carve a chancel In the brick for 2" conduit. I'm then going to use 2x2 to add more depth to the front then cover it in backer board then in a stacked ledge stone

The side walls I'm going to put 3 floating shelves on each site with conduit running between two of the shelves to run the wires. Should keep all wires hidden with only the components and consoles displayed

The main reason for making the fire place thicker is to have space to run wires as well as allow me to create greater depth in the floating side shelves to accommodate an amp (I want shells flush with fireplace )
post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Can you bring the new mantle down lower so you could mount the TV lower? I think you and your neck will be happier if the TV is at a more natural viewing height. Can't tell from the photo how far back your seating location is - but at least the TV is lower than where it was in your first image!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yea a defiantly want to lower it. I bought a new tv today so I can figure out exact mounting locations. I think I will need a mantel if I lower the tv to block the heat... But atleast it would allow for a lower tv
post #6 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Woo fireplace is prepped for stone. Next big decision. Hearth or no hearth.. I prefer the look of no hearth but will heat be an issue for the tv?
post #7 of 14 Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Just to update an old thread with a little progress
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Woo fireplace is prepped for stone. Next big decision. Hearth or no hearth.. I prefer the look of no hearth but will heat be an issue for the tv?
Yes heat is an issue. You want a mantle to help deflect that heat out in front of your display.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Good thing I built a mini one. Only out about 6" but that will hopefully be enough. Just enough for the centre speaker
post #10 of 14 Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking at your pictures, you have ample space on either side of the fireplace to build nice deep cabinets. You could go that route and add smoked glass or wooden door and hide all your equipment behind there. Would cut down on the amount of cables and wiring needed to the TV a bit vs. running everything to another room. Then you could use a Harmony style remote system to control everything behind the wood/glass....
post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Looking at your pictures, you have ample space on either side of the fireplace to build nice deep cabinets. You could go that route and add smoked glass or wooden door and hide all your equipment behind there. Would cut down on the amount of cables and wiring needed to the TV a bit vs. running everything to another room. Then you could use a Harmony style remote system to control everything behind the wood/glass....
Generally, heat is not as much of an issue with a gas fireplace like it would be with a wood burning fireplace, that being said I have yet to encounter a fireplace that got too hot for a TV. A gas fireplace flame is much smaller, not a raging fire that you get from wood burning. Heat is heat however so if you feel it may be too hot, before you put the TV up I would just tape a thermometer to the lower part of the stoner where the bottom of the TV will rest. If the temp is at the point where it will melt anything, you have more of a problem with your mantel burning then anything else. Just check your manual and that will tell you the safe operating temperature of your exact tv. Again, I have installed hundreds of setups like this and plenty with no mantel in between without any problems down the road. I wouldn't worry about heat with your setup.

Also for future reference, you should put the electrical outlet above your mount. Chances are your tilting the tv downward, and even with a recessed outlet it may be hard to do so because the bottom of the TV will be pushing against it. An outlet about your mount will always give you plenty of room for the plug, even if it isn't recessed.

Good luck, so far everything looks great!

-Dave C

Owner/Operator of HT Install NJ
Specializing in NJ TV installation
Email Me at dave@njtvinstallations.com
post #12 of 14 Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm finally almost done
post #13 of 14 Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I like it. I'm resisting the temptation to turn our black square tile and drywall fireplace into something like that.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I love the stacked stone look. Wasn't to bad to install either. Did it Over the weekend.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page