thoughts on new family room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thoughts on new family room

Possibly going to be building a new house in the winter and trying to get some ideas on the basement family room.

Looking at a decent sized room (18 x 20 range) with fireplace centered with built-in cabinets on both sides. Going to be the main family room, used to entertain and of course watch movies and such. The biggest issue is the same most of us married guys battle-- performance of what I want versus aesthetics of what the wife wants.

I obviously want a great TV/movie experience. Surround sound is a must. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try to piece it together myself or hire someone (there's a place in Charlotte that does great work). I know it's going to be more expensive hiring someone but I know it'll be done right. Or I can figure where my speakers should go and just have my builder run that wiring and/or install in-wall speakers (for the rears at least).

I currently have a Pioneer Vsx-D458 receiver and Athena AS P4000 sub that I could use. I'd have to buy all of the other components. Not sure if these would even be worth using to start with, but if I try to do everything myself (in concert with the builder) I'd most likely start off with these. If I go with the pros, I imagine I'll start from scratch.

So, if I was going the "do it yourself" route, what kind of cost am I looking at (loosely) for equipment?

-TV (probably 65-70 inch range)
-all speakers for a 5.1 setup (would most likely have rears to be built into the rear wall)

Would need to hide the sub and receiver in the built-in cabinets (not sure if I'd need a different kind of sub for that).

Obviously want a great quality TV (for viewing sports and movies). TV may have to sit above fireplace (I know this opens up a whole can of worms depending on how far back seating is).

So, input on cost and should I hire someone out or just try to work with the builder? Other comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompsonjr View Post
Possibly going to be building a new house in the winter and trying to get some ideas on the basement family room.

Looking at a decent sized room (18 x 20 range) with fireplace centered with built-in cabinets on both sides. Going to be the main family room, used to entertain and of course watch movies and such. The biggest issue is the same most of us married guys battle-- performance of what I want versus aesthetics of what the wife wants.

I obviously want a great TV/movie experience. Surround sound is a must. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try to piece it together myself or hire someone (there's a place in Charlotte that does great work). I know it's going to be more expensive hiring someone but I know it'll be done right. Or I can figure where my speakers should go and just have my builder run that wiring and/or install in-wall speakers (for the rears at least).

I currently have a Pioneer Vsx-D458 receiver and Athena AS P4000 sub that I could use. I'd have to buy all of the other components. Not sure if these would even be worth using to start with, but if I try to do everything myself (in concert with the builder) I'd most likely start off with these. If I go with the pros, I imagine I'll start from scratch.

So, if I was going the "do it yourself" route, what kind of cost am I looking at (loosely) for equipment?

-TV (probably 65-70 inch range)
-all speakers for a 5.1 setup (would most likely have rears to be built into the rear wall)

Would need to hide the sub and receiver in the built-in cabinets (not sure if I'd need a different kind of sub for that).

Obviously want a great quality TV (for viewing sports and movies). TV may have to sit above fireplace (I know this opens up a whole can of worms depending on how far back seating is).

So, input on cost and should I hire someone out or just try to work with the builder? Other comments?
Cost = Budget x 1.25.

It depends on what you want quality you want and what you are willing to pay. I just bought a 65 inch tv for $1700 that I'm very happy with but if I was 500 times richer, the $25,000 one in the high end av store might be worth it. You need to set some type of budget - $3,000 or $30,000? You could try talking to a local home theater company first and then decide what route you want to go. Or, provide more specifics here and people will chime in.

Ron
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post
Cost = Budget x 1.25
That's hilarious! Laughed out loud. I'd say...

Cost = (Budget x 1.25)/WAF

I'm confused too.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm a public high school teacher in North Carolina, so budget is much less than I'd like it to be.

What could I get in the $3000-4000 range?

Could I get a good TV and surround sound system in that range?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post
Cost = Budget x 1.25.
Yea I get stuck on things overlooked and then oh I need to add this to make it prettier and then oh for another $xyz more I can just upgrade to this and I'll probably be happier longer without needing upgrade.

God Ive spent too much money in the past 2 years in upgrades.

Words from experience,
Pick a budget and stick to it. Deffinately shop around from the sponsors on here and online for deals and research research research!
You can find tremendous deals on year end closeouts or B stock stuff and sometimes even Craigslist depending on the area.
Save the money and do as much as you can on your own. An AV place will cost a fortune! What an AV place may charge you $10-15k @ retail and labor, you can probably shop around and spend that $3-4k and be just as well off if not better.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompsonjr View Post
I'm a public high school teacher in North Carolina, so budget is much less than I'd like it to be.

What could I get in the $3000-4000 range?

Could I get a good TV and surround sound system in that range?

Depends on size/quality of the display you want, but I think yes, for 3K-4K you can get a decent system.

5.1 system by Aperion Audio or Axiom: $2000
55" LED display: $1500 (You could also do a projection system for the same price...BenQ1070 and Elite Screen)
Home Theater receiver from Accessories4Less: $500

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106