Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New condo home theater setup

Hi all!

I am still new to all this audio and home theater setup (This will be my first setup!) so wanted to get advice on what would be a good setup.

I am moving into a new condo, where the I will be putting the Screen Innovation Zero Edge projector screen (110") in the living room on the wall. I wanted to put in wall speakers that the projector will be on, and then in the rear will have the projector, along with in ceiling speakers, making it a 5.1 system. I wanted to ask for suggestions or opinions on the two setups I have put for a 5.1 system, with two main different brands (paradigm vs speakercraft), let me know if you have any suggestions or adjustments.

SETUP 1
Screen Innovation Black Diamond Zero Edge 110"
SONY VLP-HW40ES Projector

YAMAHA RXA2040 RECEIVER
PARADIGM AMSLCR FRONT L/C/R
PARADIGM AMS100R SURROUND
MONITOR AUDIO AW12 SUBWOOFER

SETUP 2
Screen Innovation Black Diamond Zero Edge 110"
SONY VLP-HW40ES Projector

YAMAHA RXA2040 RECEIVER
AIM Cinema Five FRONT L/R
AIM LCR5 Five for front Center
AIM8 Five REAR SURROUND
MONITOR AUDIO AW12 SUBWOOFER

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by boosted918; 07-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
you really don't want to place your center channel speaker in the ceiling, you want to have it on the same plane as the other front speakers. Above the screen or below, just buy a third model of whatever you end up using for your front L & R. If the speaker can be tilted in its mount to aim it at your seating position, all the better.
You should be very happy with your screen and projector choices.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
you really don't want to place your center channel speaker in the ceiling, you want to have it on the same plane as the other front speakers. Above the screen or below, just buy a third model of whatever you end up using for your front L & R. If the speaker can be tilted in its mount to aim it at your seating position, all the better.
You should be very happy with your screen and projector choices.
Hi weaselfest, thanks for your response.

You are right about that I made the adjustment. I think I am leaning towards option 2 with speakercraft. What do you think about that setup?

thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
While I love the way Paradigm speakers sound, how their build quality for the $$$ is beyond reproach, and how their aesthetics are usually super clean, the Speakercraft offer a seriously valuable feature: the ability to be aimed within their mounting plane. With your less than ideal speaker locations (from a home theater purist standpoint) the ability to compensate for these off axis locations by tilting the speaker in its frame to aim it at your ears could make a big difference. I haven't personally heard a Speakercraft system outside a trade show, but a former associate of mine sold them for many years when he went independent and thought they did what they did very well for the money.
If you want to know what I would install in your situation, the first brand to come to mind is Triad. They ain't cheap, but you're not looking at low end equipment either. The biggest difference in the Triad line is that they are a fully enclosed speaker designed to be flush mounted in a wall or ceiling. This makes for a much more predictable behavior regardless of wall cavity size/construction, plus less sound leakage into other spaces. Check out the Bronze line, they may not be that much more than what you're looking at. These are very highly regarded speakers, check the speaker and dedicated theater forums. They aren't usually found for sale on the 'net, other than fleabay, if you're willing to gamble on used speakers. AVS could possibly offer a quote if there isn't a local dealer in your neck of the woods.
Other manufacturers offering this type of construction are Totem and Atlantic Technology. (sorry if I've slighted someone elses fav)
Everything's better than a sound bar.........good luck with the install.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page