New Setup - Finished basement with unfavouring walls - Need Advice - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question New Setup - Finished basement with unfavouring walls - Need Advice

Hi All,

I'm currently researching and mapping out my basement home theater setup. Currently I'm on the path to implement a projector solution (Either a BenQ W1070 or W1080ST) and require some assistance. My house came with a finished basement and this is going to prove to be challenging. The walls are not very forgiving for what I want to do and nor is the ceiling.

I've attached a few pictures and hope that it will help to explain my setup. One image is a drawn out map of the basement with the measurements, the others are just pictures of the area itself.

My goal is as follows:

I'd like to place a pull down projector screen (still undecided on size/model) on wall 'A'. I'd like to place the couches on wall 'B'. But as you can see on wall 'A', there is a protrusion which is a cold air return duct which prevents the wall from being completely flat. And since there is a finished ceiling, it would make mounting a projector from there a bit more difficult. I'm not sure if a wall mounted solution with an arm would be feasible. Just looking for some guidance on if what I want to accomplish is doable or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a58VYHw.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	185730   Click image for larger version

Name:	11dzEsj.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	185738   Click image for larger version

Name:	3SBgYmV.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	185746   Click image for larger version

Name:	mHrx3MD.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	185754   Click image for larger version

Name:	boSBAIc.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	185762  

Name:	Basement Layout.png
Views:	77
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	185770  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 160
You can make this work, but why a pull down screen? It might be desirable to install a fixed screen instead ...

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
You can make this work, but why a pull down screen? It might be desirable to install a fixed screen instead ...
I'm not opposed to the option of a fixed screen, I just figured that since the wall isn't completely flat I'd have to install a pull down from the ceiling.

What about the projector? Will I have sufficient clearance based on the ceiling clearance obstacles?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
... My house came with a finished basement and this is going to be challenging. The walls are not very forgiving for what I want to do ... and since there is a finished ceiling, it would make mounting a projector from there a bit more difficult. I'm not sure if a wall mounted solution with an arm would be feasible.
Your room is a challenge. What kind of project are you up for, gutting the room and starting from scratch, like KBMAN did recently -- HT of the Month: Duck and Cover -- or do you want to just use the room as it presently exists?

Are the obstructions on the ceiling HVAC, like the A-wall obstruction is? Or can you drill in and anchor safely into the ceiling wherever you choose?

Wall mounting with arms is possible, but the weight of the PJ will cause longer arms to sag slightly, versus whatever theoretical measurements you try to run about exactly where the PJ would be hanging in space before it was actually there. Then the ongoing headache with the arms and PJ moving slightly, screwing up your PQ every time that happens. And the vibration headaches that can happen, even for more robustly anchored setups. Projector vibration: is damage really an issue? I spoke to a pro and...... Plus how is that going to look just appearance-wise?

If it ends up that you want to wall-mount instead of ceiling-mount, you might consider a fixed wall / shelf mount solution rather than arms, or at minimum, a really robust mounting kit.

You don't include measurements on where the ceiling obstructions are in the room, nor how many inches of vertical space each occupies, nor (perhaps most importantly) what your goal is for your projected image. Do you want to shoot from an angle that lets you project up under those ceiling obstructions? How big of an image do you want? What's the throw distance from in front of the last ceiling obstacle? It's labeled beam, so maybe you could anchor safely there, but it looks too close to the screen to work.

Here's a throw calculator from Epson. Play around with it to get some ideas on what is possible. Or you can check whether your manufacturer offers a similar tool on their website. http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/land...ce-calculator/

And read this thread, it will get you up to speed on how many times you will need to measure and run calculations to get this right, and it may also suggest some other solutions. Yup, I actually did this!

If projection looks like too much of a headache, the good news is that flat panel displays are bigger and cheaper every day.

You might re-label your picture 2 of 6, which is confusing, since walls A and B don't touch.

Good luck.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I like retractable screens, but if you're talking about that bump out on wall A, it wouldn't be that big a deal to build the screen accordingly.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I got really tied up since making this thread and am finally back on track. I appreciate the replies given and have read them all in full.

I'm going to take some measurements again tonight and see what I can get away with regarding projector to screen distance. I believe I'm going to need a short throw and am looking at the BenQ W1080ST. I don't want to gut the basement as it came finished by the builder and I don't think I'd see an ROI with putting in any major custom work. I'll just have to look into getting power fitted to the ceiling and any other cables run such as HDMI, speaker cables, USB, etc.

I hope to report back with some more information this weekend so I can start planning my purchases!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I found that even with the beam in the basement I was still able to get a 169 inch 16:9 image. I included pictures (don't laugh) of my "finished" basement. I would suggest getting several pairs of wireless headphones for after hours enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4-14room 007a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	498202   Click image for larger version

Name:	avpix3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	498210  
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, I never thought about mounting it to the beam. It would hang too low though and people can walk into it.

After looking at the calculator on projector central, it looks like I can get about a 100-110" picture by mounting the the projector 5.5-6' away. I have about 6'6" of maximum distance between the screen and the projector mount point. That should be fine.

I ordered the BenQ W1080ST from Amazon Canada today. It was the deal of the day today. Things are getting real now.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based on the picture which shows the bump in the wall where I want to put the screen, how would a fixed screen affix to the wall like that?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Based on the picture which shows the bump in the wall where I want to put the screen, how would a fixed screen affix to the wall like that?
What's the max depth of the bump?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's the max depth of the bump?
5.5" deep.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
5.5" deep.
A framed screen could rest on corner posts that would take it off the wall sufficiently to clear the bump. It would be a little extra up front work, but might end up being less work (and better PQ due to screen stability) over the long haul.

If you have a fixed screen option in mind, just look at the standard wall mounting hardware they use, and think about ways you could float that hardware the needed 5.5" to 6" distance off the wall. Simple solutions may come to mind. And you'd hide the bump!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A framed screen could rest on corner posts that would take it off the wall sufficiently to clear the bump. It would be a little extra up front work, but might end up being less work (and better PQ due to screen stability) over the long haul.

If you have a fixed screen option in mind, just look at the standard wall mounting hardware they use, and think about ways you could float that hardware the needed 5.5" to 6" distance off the wall. Simple solutions may come to mind. And you'd hide the bump!
Thanks. I was thinking I could just mount two blocks of wood that were 6" deep and then install the screen mounts to those. Unfortunately I just hit a snafu. I got my W1080ST and was doing some mockups at potential mount points. I originally wanted to go with a 110" screen such as an Elite Sable but it looks as though due to the limited mounting options I will have to scale down to a 106" or even 100". I'd like to keep it at 106" but the problem with that is there are no decently priced options for a fixed screen of that size that I could find here in Toronto, Canada. I only see a couple of motorized/manual options for under $400.

Woe is me.

Last edited by Tony_YYZ; 01-27-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... Woe is me.
Well, however the geometry works out, remember that it's going to the biggest, baddest image you've ever seen down there, and your gonna love it.

Keep thinking, measuring and evaluating. You will come up with the best plan for you and your space.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, however the geometry works out, remember that it's going to the biggest, baddest image you've ever seen down there, and your gonna love it.

Keep thinking, measuring and evaluating. You will come up with the best plan for you and your space.
Thanks again. I appreciate your feedback. I have been obsessing over this for the past week and have worked on measuring/researching for the last 7 hours. I think I need to call it quits for the night.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement