HT Noob Has Many Questions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HT Noob Has Many Questions

Mod - delete this msg please

Last edited by killians5; 11-03-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Okay, I don't have a dedicated room. I just painted a wall as a screen and went with it, but the "big guys" will want to know what your budget is for the room and the projector. They will all tell you to paint the room "dark" (which I haven't done) and they will tell you what kind of projector you need based on where you plan on mounting it and your budget. Your aspect ratio will be driven by your budget with 16:9 the most common for t.v. (cable) watching.

I'm a fan of "get the projector and try it" on your blue wall. See what size image works for you. Also, check the throw distance of the projector before you buy it...how far back you mount it will determine the image size on a cheap (under $1,000) projector. Benq 1070 seems to be the recommended choice. (I have an Epson HC2000 for it's cheap lamp replacement cost and I have had no complaints on my 169 inch 16:9 image.)

I think part of the fun is doing it yourself up to the level of skill you have. (I painted a wall for a screen and mounted a pj which was enough for me...for now.)

Light is always an issue, so you may need more light control in you setup. I put a curtain over my blinds because a of the light coming in from 8 to 11 in the morning. Only time of the day, the light was an issue.

Last edited by steve1106; 08-08-2014 at 04:18 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Here's my thoughts:
1) Yes, but for me diy is all the fun.
2) Darker the better, most importantly, flat paint & heavy curtains for the Windows.
3) Probably not too much because of the openness of the space with the adjoining room.
4) Depends on your projector and it's throw range (did a quick look with my epson 2030 as a guide, if you mount the pj on the opposite wall above the window, your looking at about 14', with my pj and that distance in 16:9, your looking at 145" diag.)
5) 16:9 is usually a good overall choice.
6) Yes, would be best, but some of that will have to do with your choice of pj and it's lumen brightness.
7) None really, either mount it right on the wall or paint it on, your choice. / Depends on the pj.
8) No way to tell, sound is very subjective and personal, of it sounds good to you, then it's ok.
9) ? - Budget is a main factor, my choice is either Ben Q or Epson, but again very subjective, but with this room (and the openness of the adjoining room) the brighter the better.
10 & 11) Bowing out of these....lol.

Best I can do.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Questions back at you.
- What do you plan to do with the contractor? It looks like you have the basic room and it is what it is. You will need some form of light control, an equipment rack, a projector mount, and a plan to run wiring. All of that is pretty simple for DIY and will save a fortune.

- I have your receiver in my family room. Biggest issue was a lack of inputs. Ran out ages ago. These days, you are looking at BluRay player, some sort of media streamer (Roku), cable box, TIVO, connection to PC, etc. I also have an HD-DVD player hooked up as well as laserdisk. I solve it for now in the family room with an HDMI switch into one of the inputs, but went with a better, later model receiver for the HT.
- Blue is pretty non-descriptive. My theater is a dark indigo on the ceiling and screen wall and 2 shades lighter on the side walls.
- I have movie posters hanging in frames with glass. Yeah, it probably affects the acoustics, but it works for us. See attached photo.
- The Polks are not really high efficiency and the room may overwhelm them. Try it and see.
- My screen is 120" 16:9. Screen aspect ratios are oftewn controlled by room dimensions. Mine is width limited, so 16:9 is best. Try both 16:9 and 2.35:1 by projecting on wall. You will also need to play with seating distance. I found that 11' to eyeballs worked well with 120", but others complain that is too close.
- Do you plan on a second row? If so, you need to work out riser height and sight lines.
- Blinds will not cut it in daytime, or if you have lights shining in at night. Go with a covering that seals tight at the edges. I recommend either an insert (again see picture) or tight fitting curtains with magnetic rubber sewn into the seams.
- I use an Epson 8350 for a projector. It was great bang for the buck and is very adaptable in terms of brightness, lens shift and zoom range. Projector choice is somewhat a religious experience though, and there are a lot of good choices out there.

Note, this picture was taken 2 years ago, and the theater has progressed. I just haven't taken a newer picture.
Best of luck in your project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jayn_j_home_theater1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	213993  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
we all have problems putting ikea funiture together. They seem to be designed for aliens. That being said, getting a good finished product will depend alot on having the right tools. u will be surpossed what can be accomplished with the right tools and a couple of nights on youtube. If u dont have any tools then it can get pretty expensive even before u begin any project.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
Gear in this thread - HC2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page