Mounting TV above fireplace on sideways studs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mounting TV above fireplace on sideways studs

I have a similar dilemma as a post I read earlier, however it's slightly different.

I am trying to mount a 70" TV above the fireplace, it weights about 90 pounds. When we built our house the builder put blocking above the fireplace, essentially 2x4's sideways above the fireplace that go from the top of the fireplace to the ceiling (i.e. approximately 1/2" sheet rock and 1.5" for the 2x4 in terms of depth).

We bought an Omnimount, with tilting features. It came with 4 lag bolts that are 8mm x 65mm. I also bought some 1/4" Snaptoggle bolts.

I am a little nervous in using the lag bolts provided with the mount as it will go straight through the studs.

What would be your recommendations as I rather air to the side of conservatism (i.e. I don't want my TV to fall)! Should I just use maybe 6-8 1/4" SnapToggle Bolts or find different lag bolts that are not as long?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A shorter lag screw won't provide any more holding power, it's more a factor of the amount of material the screw is threaded through. Other than increasing the amount of metal that has to be drawn through the blocking material if things let go, the extra length isn't doing anything.
If you want to make your mount virtually immovable, put the two togglers in the upper corners of the mounting plate, two lags a quarter of the way in from the sides, and two lags in the bottom corners. The togglers would have to pull the blocking through the drywall to fully let go. Just make sure your toggler bolts are long enough to reach through the drywall and 2x4 blocking enough to let the toggle rotate into position. I'm assuming you're using lag screws at least 1/4" in diameter with a pilot hole of appropriate size.

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 07-31-2014 at 04:42 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. Not sure I follow though. You said put two of the lag bolts sideways, What do you mean by this?

The mount that I am using is this.

http://www.hhgregg.com/omnimount-lar...s-/item/NC200T

The SnapToggle bolts I have are 1/4"-20 x 2 1/2".

I am wondering if I should replace my lag bolts (8mm x 65mm) and use all SnapToggle bolts instead, since the lag bolts will go all the way through the sideways studs. Would this provide more strength?

Thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Call me crazy, but I think mounting a TV set above a fireplace is a bad idea for several reasons. Number one, it doesn't give you a lot of options for sound. Number two, it's going to be higher than it needs to be, so you're going to wind up looking up for long periods of time, which is not comfortable. Number three, on winter days where you actually use the fireplace, the heat coming out of the wall is not going to do the screen any good.

My honest opinion is you should consider redoing the room and have the TV on a different wall and rearrange the seating accordingly. Strictly my opinion.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately, we don't really have anywhere else to put the TV. However, I think it should be okay since the couch will be about 15' away. Also, we have pre-wired the ceilings so there would be surround sounds and lastly, we live in a fairly hot city, so we don't plan on using the fireplace that much.

Below is a layout of our room.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_224755_resized.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	190994  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know everyone seems to hate having a TV mounted above a fireplace.. but just wanted to say in my living room it works well..

It was really the only place it would work.. but I have never had anyone complain its to high etc... so while maybe not ideal.. it can work... And we do use the fireplace in winter... and watch tv at same time.. and have not had any issues yet... perhaps not the best situation.. but it has a blower so most of the heat will go out rather than up..

Anyway just wanted to post to say don't get discouraged.. it can work well..
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I dunno. Raising the screen up 4' off the ground just seems wacky to me.

I concede that some rooms just don't lend themselves well to ideal monitor positioning.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant for you to use four fasteners across the top of the mount: Toggler, lag, lag, toggler, then two lags on the bottom of the mount.
We mount seventy inch TVs on metal studs using four togglers all the time with no issue whatsoever, so if using all togglers makes you sleep better at night, knock yourself out.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant for you to use four fasteners across the top of the mount: Toggler, lag, lag, toggler, then two lags on the bottom of the mount.
We mount seventy inch TVs on metal studs using four togglers all the time with no issue whatsoever, so if using all togglers makes you sleep better at night, knock yourself out.
Which ever is strong will help me sleep better at night
post #10 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just put up the mount today, have not hung the TV up yet.

However, the toggle bolts I put in would not tighten... they don't seem to catch the thread. Is this a defect or are my bolts to short.. does the bolt need to make it to the anchor in order to start tightening?

I am thinking of going to the hardware store and buying a longer bolts and while I am at it, buy similar bolts that came with the mount... If I can get the toggler bolts to tighten I think I am done... if not I plan on putting 4 more M6 lag bolts (8mm x 50mm) through the sideways studs.

Hopefully this thing should hold. I think I got the studs on the left side with the regular 2x4. However on the right side I hit the blocking and the screw went maybe 1/2" passed the back of the sideways stud.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just use the lag bolts into the blocking, lets say TV plus mount is 100lbs, that's 25lbs per lag, not that much load at all
post #12 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
. Just make sure your toggler bolts are long enough to reach through the drywall and 2x4 blocking.
Get some 4" long 1/4" 20 thread machine screws that will reach the threaded opening in the toggle

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page