New home, creating plan for media room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New home, creating plan for media room

Not sure where to start, so I'll kick things off with this thread.

The purpose is to help me build out a media/movie room. I am willing to spend between $10 and $15k for everything (furniture included). Not looking for a top-of-the-line setup, or to succumb to diminishing returns. Just want a solid setup that can deliver movies, sports, and maybe hooking up a game system sometime in the future. Watching NFL games is equally (or slightly more) important than movies.

I just moved into a new home and the builder put a media room in the basement. It's nice because there are no windows and he tiered the floor for seating. It's frustrating because he didn't prep it for any media center specific wiring or lighting (aside from adding some crappy speakers). I am going to have to cut into the drywall quite a bit to get everything wired up.

I have added a picture of the room with dimensions to this thread. The basics are it's 10'10" wide, 8'8" high, and 19' deep.

I need help on everything.

Projector: Epson 5030UB [this seems like a pretty easy choice!]
Screen: ? [is the Monoprice stuff OK like here?]
Receiver: ? [I don't know how to decide between 5.1 and 7.1]
Center: ?
Front L and R: ?
Rear L and R: ?
Sub: ?
Seating: ?
Video Source: DirecTV + ?

How the heck do I make quick, smart decisions on all this stuff. Are there solid, "go to" answers to most of these areas that fit within my budget and requirements? Would be awesome if the forum maintained some sort of "currently recommended" lists with a budget, mid-tier, and high-end option for each category...

Anyway, any help on how to think through the components would be greatly appreciated. Then I can start sawing through drywall.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media_room.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	189466  
ILLCOMM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update after some more research:

Projector: Epson 5030UB [this seems like a pretty easy choice!]
Screen: ? [is the Monoprice stuff OK like here?]
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2000
Center: ?
Front L and R: ?
Rear L and R: ?
Sub: SVS PB-1000 or PB-1200
Seating: ?
Video Source: DirecTV + ?

Don't be shy, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by ILLCOMM; 08-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.
ILLCOMM is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
weaselfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Home of the Hawkeyes
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Are you envisioning a screen above the wainscoting with floor standing speakers of some sort on either side and below, with surface mounted surrounds? Or are you somewhat handy with access to some tools and want to jump into the acoustically transparent realm? If you haven't already, check out the "minimalist approach to screen wall design" thread on the dedicated theater forum. Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
This puts the speakers where the sound should be, directly behind the action. Plus gives you a great way to hide any type of speaker and subwoofer from detracting from the screen.
If you haven't already, run some screen size calculations with your proposed Epson projector and the throw distance you have to work with at a site like Projector Central, then layout the screen size on your wall and see how everything fits. Will your ideal screen size overlap the wainscoting? is there room for tower speakers, or will they have to fit under the screen? If they have to fit under the screen, can they be tilted to clear the front row with audience? Lots of details to work out before worrying about specific makes and models just quite yet.

underachiever extraordinaire
weaselfest is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
Are you envisioning a screen above the wainscoting with floor standing speakers of some sort on either side and below, with surface mounted surrounds? Or are you somewhat handy with access to some tools and want to jump into the acoustically transparent realm? If you haven't already, check out the "minimalist approach to screen wall design" thread on the dedicated theater forum. Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
This puts the speakers where the sound should be, directly behind the action. Plus gives you a great way to hide any type of speaker and subwoofer from detracting from the screen.
If you haven't already, run some screen size calculations with your proposed Epson projector and the throw distance you have to work with at a site like Projector Central, then layout the screen size on your wall and see how everything fits. Will your ideal screen size overlap the wainscoting? is there room for tower speakers, or will they have to fit under the screen? If they have to fit under the screen, can they be tilted to clear the front row with audience? Lots of details to work out before worrying about specific makes and models just quite yet.
I like this false wall approach. Thank you!

Here's where I am with the setup:

Projector: Epson 5030UB (maybe 6030)
Screen: Seymour AV CenterStage UF 114.5"
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3000
Center: B&W CM9
Front L and R: B&W CM9
Rear L and R: B&W CMW 663
Sub: ?
Seating: ?
Video Source: DirecTV + ?
ILLCOMM is offline  
Old 08-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
thestoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I like this false wall approach. Thank you!

Here's where I am with the setup:

Projector: Epson 5030UB (maybe 6030)
Screen: Seymour AV CenterStage UF 114.5"
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3000
Center: B&W CM9
Front L and R: B&W CM9
Rear L and R: B&W CMW 663
Sub: ?
Seating: ?
Video Source: DirecTV + ?
Consider the Denon X4000 on accessories4less for $800. Audessy XT32 w/ sub eq is extremely well liked.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
thestoneman is offline  
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Member
 
willmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are not in a hurry, suggest that you start using the room with an existing TV and make decisions and choices based on actual usage. I am guessing that you will want to evolve to darker walls. A 7.1 system will be good but a 5.1 will be okay too. Do you know where you want to place the A/V equipment? What room is above this media room?
willmo is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update!

Projector: Epson 5030UB
Screen: Seymour AV CenterStage UF 120.5"
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4000 (to get Audessy XT32)
Center: B&W CM9
Front L and R: B&W CM9
Surround L and R: B&W CMW 663
Rear L and R: B&W CMW 663
Sub: SVS-PB2000
Seating: 8x Palliser Supreme in 2 rows
Video Source: DirecTV + DBT-1713UD + Amazon FireTV

Any other feedback?
ILLCOMM is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Eight seats in under 11' wide?




Have you bought your speakers? You might want to consider using three identical speakers up front, since you will be using
an AT screen. (I would go for three bookshelf speakers and two subs myself...) You also don't want speakers with anything on them,
bright. There's a very good chance you will see the yellow and silver of those BMWs.
Tedd is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ILLCOMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Eight seats in under 11' wide?




Have you bought your speakers? You might want to consider using three identical speakers up front, since you will be using
an AT screen. (I would go for three bookshelf speakers and two subs myself...) You also don't want speakers with anything on them,
bright. There's a very good chance you will see the yellow and silver of those BMWs.
I got narrow seats

I did buy the speakers, and I did get 3 CM9s from the front stage. Most people said you can't see through and I imagine if there were some sort of reflection I could use the speaker grille
ILLCOMM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off