From Fam-to-Glam: My family room transformation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 81 Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 618
From Fam-to-Glam: My family room transformation

Well here goes, been dying to have a dedicated theater area for a long time, had been living in a TINY (750 sq/ft) home for too long, always over bought on audio and video for just this occasion.
Bought a new place in May, house has a 23x23 garage converted into a family room, that according to the GF, is all mine to do with what I want so it's theater time.

Over the next few months I'm going to attempt to transform this this very boring and avg. (but large) space from Fam-to-Glam, shooting for Art Deco styling of mostly my design and style, may be right, may be wrong, but all mine none the less.

Here's the basics.
Room itself:
Basic dimensions are 23x23, screen wall is only 18' wide due to a 5x8 enclosed entry from my carport.
9' ceilings
3 ceiling fans (keeping 2)
And pretty bland, all white with the screen wall currently a tan/sand color.

Tech:
Video:
Epson 2030 2D/3D (my first projector)
Painted screen thanks to an article at projector central.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pain...ge=DIY-Screens

At this point looks like 171" 16:9
Samsung BDP-S185/BX18 3D BluRay player
DirecTv HD Genie
Marantz LD-520 Laser Disc Player
Darbee DVP-5000

Audio:
Players:
Yamaha RX-A3040 w/ Atmos upgrade
7.2.4 configuration, extended to a 9.4.8 speaker layout.
Additional Amplifiers:
Emotiva XPR-2 (L/R)
Emotiva XPR-5 (Center, Wides, Surrounds)
(2) Emotiva XPA-5 (Rears, Heights)
(8) Marantz CC-870 cd Jukebox's
Yaqin SD-2 tube buffer

Speakers:
All Old School DefTech.

Lower Layer:
Fronts - BP-2000's
Center - C/L/R 3000
Front Surrounds (pseudo Wides) - BP-2000's
Surrounds - BP2000's
Rears - BP-2000tl's

Height Layer:
Front Heights - CLR2000's
Rear Heights - SM450's

Sub's: (5) - Powerfield 1500's

Misc.:
Monster HTS-1600 (2)
Monster HTS-5100

So we'll see how it goes, this is basically going to be a budget build, use it while it's in progress as best I can, with all the work done by me. Current plans include moving the remaining ceiling fans, ceiling mounting the projector, dark grey walls, black ceiling and a elevated second row seating.
From there we'll just have to see where my imagination takes me.

Thanks to anyone who peeks in.

Mark.

Last edited by ALtlOff; 05-31-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First Pic's:
This is how it looked right after moving in, just needed to get everything up and running.

(60" Sony XBR, gone now, been living with it with a bad blue color block for way too long, I'll miss the ole girl, original plan was to use it and do a drop down in front of it for the projector, but because of the ceiling fans and mounting space I would have been limited to a 90-100" screen, and that would have made me crazy in a room this big, going to end up with a 170" or so screen, so I'm real happy)

Right surround, rears and single sub.

(Didn't have the BP-20's yet)

Last edited by ALtlOff; 08-05-2014 at 03:15 AM.
post #3 of 81 Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Built a component shelf for my main pieces and center out of an old granite table top we had lying around.

All the other components went on a side wall near the main entrance to the room, 9 O'clock from the main row of seats.

Screen wall as it is now.

Sat the projector on a shelf behind the main seats just to get started on figuring screen size and mounting position.

Picture is pretty amazing for being shot onto a tan and textured wall.
darthray and MDJAK like this.

Last edited by ALtlOff; 08-05-2014 at 03:20 AM.

post #4 of 81 Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4143 Post(s)
Liked: 4222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Built a component shelf for my main pieces and center out of an old granite table top we had lying around.

All the other components went on a side wall near the main entrance to the room, 9 O'clock from the main row of seats.

Screen wall as it is now.

Sat the projector on a shelf behind the main seats just to get started on figuring screen size and mounting position.

Picture is pretty amazing for being shot onto a tan and textured wall.

You get a real good screen up there and you'll be loving the picture! You are definitely moving in the right direction !!
darthray likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #5 of 81 Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, can't wait, but the next step is going to actually be losing the forward ceiling fan, relocating the other two, ceiling mounting the projector, installing the power outlet and running the hdmi cable for it, maybe this weekend, since its supposed to be cloudy and I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the ceiling/attic.
post #6 of 81 Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an update, no real movement on any of the actual construction aspect of the room, but I've made some progress on design and finished goal when it comes to the sound aspect of things.
With all the Atmos discussion going on it got me thinking of where to end up at, well I'm going to move toward Auro3D. It'll be at least 9 months until the processors will be within my reach but for the meantime, I'm going to set up the audio system with it as the end result, and just use what I have and will have in an expanded version of 9.2 until then.
With that in mind a had asked a question here:
Preamp for just level control
In regards to what to do in the interim, ended up with some good info overall, so I'll pursue that when the time comes.
I made some adjustments to a diagram I posted up in that thread so here's the latest idea of the basic layout for the finished product.

The speaker layout is Auro's 11.1 setup.

I did acquire 3 more of my surround speakers (BP-10's) of e-bay at a killer deal, so that leaves me only 1 Speaker shy of completing my lower layer.
And I did get a response from the Auro people on speaker choice for my height layer, while they suggest mono-pole speakers for everything, I can't do much about the lower layer, but I will do mono-poles for the Height layer. I'll be adding 1pr of DefTech SM350's up front to the Height speakers and 8 to 10 of the SM450's for the Height layer of the surrounds. Hope to have the speakers all purchased and installed before the New Year and in the meantime will start to work in the construction and painting projects as time permits.
But for now here's how the layout stands:
Minus the one remaining surround speaker.
The addition of the extra rears was actually noticeable in not only overall fill, but surprisingly good in some full circle surround events.
As I've started before, since overkill is sort of in my nature, this large room is just phenomenal to have to play with.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-08-2014 at 06:07 AM.
post #7 of 81 Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Made a couple more tweaks today, after a few of you got me fired up about my corner loading Sub situation (I was just going to wait, and move things after all the furniture was in and the platform was built, it really wasn't that bad, just a little boomy) and I ended up moving them, today I went ahead and swapped my Fronts around, since the Subs were in the corners I had the subs in my fronts firing in, with their angle it gave me a decent center reflection of my screen wall, now Front speaker subs are firing outward, they're about 4' from the side walls, ends up I'm really glad I did this, the way they're reflecting now works really well, basically at an angle off the wall and right at the main listening position. really adds a nice fullness to the front channel content, also allowed my to bump the level on the Center sub to give me a little better depth in vocals.

New front layout:

Looking forward to giving the New layout a real workout this weekend, I've got Godzilla & The Winter Soldier 3d saved on the DVR.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-11-2014 at 06:01 AM.
post #8 of 81 Old 10-31-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up 5 DefTech SM450'S over the past couple of days, to start my height layer.

One will need some repair, but I needed an odd one for my Front Center Height anyway. I'm going to mount them horizontally instead of vertically since they'll be exposed, not only should it be a little more aesthetically balanced since their height matches better with my surrounds width, but also this way I can play with the direction of the bass radiators, angled down to reflect off the wall or up to reflect off the ceiling, just to see if it makes a difference.
I'll just run them as an extension of my surround channel for now.
Plus, picked up some of these:
erod, motorized curtain rods, killer deal off my local Craigslist. I'll add some pic's after I get everything up, but now that it's cooler, I can work on getting into the attic to move my fans and mount/wire my projector.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-31-2014 at 12:32 AM.
post #9 of 81 Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I'm bored, I thought I'd address the "why so many, and it's not needed" when it comes to my speaker layout.
And yes, I know it's not needed, it's just something I'm trying out, so far I really like the extra surrounds and rears in my space, especially the extra surrounds.
But, besides that, the idea is to cover my bases for Auro and Atmos so that I can have the room completely set up when I finally add the processing.
Here's a couple of diagrams to explain my layout.

This:

Is the surround layout for using a 7 channel bed, no matter what format, pretty basic, just additional speakers.

This:

Will be the connection layout while/if Auro only offers a 5 channel bed, whichever receiver I do choose, it will do both or all formats, so if I can only run a 5 channel bed for Auro I can connect in this manner and still have the center rear speakers for a 7 channel bed, but still getting the wrap around effect for Auro, as illustrated in the diagram a couple of posts ago.

This way I can pre-set all of my speakers and know I'll be covered in most anything the formats throw at me, plus with my choice of speakers and how I'm attaining them, it's really not that much of an extra cost, esp. looking at the overall.

Anyway, just wanted to explain my craziness a little bit.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 11-01-2014 at 12:06 AM.
post #10 of 81 Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Santa was good to me this year, got enough to get a few more speakers:
One more pair of SM-450'S for my height layer. (Only one pair to go), and two baby Subs (Supercube III's) for my powered woofers for my surrounds. (Only 2 Supercube II's left to get there)
And paint for the room and the screen, painting should commence next weekend, still need some flat Black for around the screen and a portion the side walls and ceiling. Wanted to do velvet, but because of my speakers I need the front wall reflection, I will however do velvet autistic panels on the side walls to curb some of the bass reflection from my Fronts.
Before and After shots soon.

My Build Thread:
post #11 of 81 Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You get a real good screen up there and you'll be loving the picture! You are definitely moving in the right direction !!
I now couldn't agree more, finally had to quell my audio obsession for awhile and concentrate on the screen and other aesthetics, (planning a SuperBowl Party) spent last weekend working on the screen wall.
Keeping in mind I was actually pretty impressed with the picture from my sub 1k projector just being shot onto my Tan, Textured wall, I figured a decent screen would be better but not ness. "that much", but what a nice surprise, the contrast and most of all blacks are so much better, esp. when looking at different levels of black against each other, there is so much detail that I didn't realise was even there and that I was completely missing, and that's still with just a painted screen. (All be it, taking advantage of Projector Centrals research) Not to mention with the white screen, I'm able to get almost the same image brightness with the lights on, in Natural mode that I used to get in Living Room mode, which will of course extend the life of my bulb, and we haven't even gotten the other walls or ceiling painted yet, can't wait to see the difference after that.
The one thing I can say for sure is that I'm so impressed with the quality of even this bottom dollar projector I can absolutely kick myself for not switching sooner, and that once all my audio upgrades are done, this one's going in the bedroom and some real money is going to be spent on the next one.

Here's a couple of preliminary pics of the work, spent 3 hrs sanding 90% of the texture off the wall, and that was with my orbital air sander (didn't want to deal with the extra dust and possible other issues of accidentally going to deep and getting into the drywall paper, plus a small amount of texture actually does help hide small imperfections, esp. since we're sitting 15' from the screen)

Before:

During:

After:

Equipment back in place: (plus dawg...lol)

Also ran the wires for the front heights, decided since the wiring is hidden, instead of using a wall plate and jacks, I'd just come out of the wall like this:

And yes, that's how textured the walls are.

Framing of the screen (still right at 170"), and lower cover up will be done this weekend, plus of course, painting of the other walls. Probably won't get the ceiling done before the party, just because of the time involved in moving a ceiling fan and running the electrical and HDMI, which all needs to be done prior to paint, but who knows?

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 01-13-2015 at 03:09 AM.
post #12 of 81 Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finished the front wall this weekend, screen ended up at 171" framed. (149" x 84.5")

Painting the other walls this weekend and if all goes well I'll be able to get into the ceiling the weekend after, I'd really like to get the height layer of speakers up and wired before SuperBowl weekend.
Boomassiv and steve1106 like this.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 01-15-2015 at 01:30 AM.
post #13 of 81 Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a different angle of the screen wall, including the base/cover for the lower portion, it's in five separate and removable sections for full access, or the top panels of each section simply come off for quick access to the electrical outlets and wall jacks.

My Build Thread:
post #14 of 81 Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the walls painted this weekend, took the whole weekend including some time today, it amazing how it increased the black levels which of course increased the vibrancy of all the colors, and that's with the ceiling still being white. I think I'll do fabric on the ceiling for the first 4-6' from the screen to completely kill the light around it, and then paint the rest, going to get all the baseboard and trim painted and back up, which will also do my wire hides, more pics as soon as things are a little more back together.

My Build Thread:
post #15 of 81 Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

All the trim is back up, speakers are back in place and decorative elements are mostly back, and all the switches and outlets have been changed to black.
I'll get some current pictures this weekend after I get my Height Layer of speakers and the "mini-soffits" I'm using for wire-hides done, and I clean up a little. (Still tools everywhere)
I'm the meantime here's the way the baseboard wire-hide turned out, double 2 1/2" baseboard around the whole room, first layer, 1 1/2" off the floor:

Next layer over that:

Because of the carpet, you can't really tell, but that layer is actually 1/4" off the floor, this allows me to have access to the wiring at any time, without pulling the baseboard, just reach under with your fingers or a coat hanger, pull them out, then simply tuck them back in place, between the space under the drywall at the floor and the gap under the first baseboard, there's pretty much room, I'm able to hide, 3 RG6 cables, a heavy duty stereo audio cable, heavy duty optical cable and 4 14ga speaker wires under it without seeing a thing.

Projector mount should be here today, hope to also get that up before my shindig Sunday.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 01-28-2015 at 08:42 AM.
post #16 of 81 Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Didn't get as much done as I had hoped, before the party, was planning on mounting the height layer of speakers, mounting the projector and possibly wiring the height layer, too hopefully give a little more ambiance to the game, well, no such luck, my original idea for mounting the speakers just didn't pan out, they were too heavy, so I ended up spending my one day that I had to work on things, buying supplies and making some speaker brackets, here's what I ended up with:

Made out of 1/8" x 2" steel plate, the upper holes allow screwing right into the top plate of the wall, and the #10 machine screw is a perfect fit for the keyhole plate on my speakers, plus by changing the length of the machine screw I can change the downward firing angle of the speaker. (The extra nuts are just for support, it is only a #10 screw and the speakers are 15lbs each.)

Had about 30 people over so had to borrow furniture just so there were places to sit, here's the temporary layout we used, just for the party:
(Not pretty, but functional for the day)

Small seats up front for the kids. And needless to say the screen size was a huge hit.

Work will resume next weekend, still have to build and install all the wire hides, mount the projector, run all the wiring, plus paint and build the ceiling treatments. Once that is all done I have a couple of other projects to take care of before I can work on the riser/platform for the rear seating area.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 02-02-2015 at 08:58 PM.
post #17 of 81 Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finished the wire hides about half way around the room this weekend, basically just L shaped framing wrapped in velvet, there is about 3/4" space between the edge and the ceiling that because of the velvet, virtually disappears.
Here's a few pics:
Upper side surrounds with the wire hide:

What it looks like from the ground:

Close up, able to hide wires and cables, plus I'll be adding a run of LED's a around the entire room, right at the ceiling which will be able to be seen because of the space:

Should be able to finish up the hides and mount the projector next weekend.
jrod9707 likes this.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 02-09-2015 at 08:39 PM.
post #18 of 81 Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally made a little more progress over the last week or so.
All of the wire hides around the ceiling are up and all of the speakers are finally wired, even though they're just an extension of the surround channels I really like the effect of having both upper and lower surrounds, can't wait until I can do my receiver upgrade to make them discrete, but for the meantime I'm really happy with the results, experimented with more than a few discs over the past couple of days.

I was also able to get most of the front ceiling panels up, they are made from 2' x 4' acoustic drop ceiling tiles, covered in velvet and simply stapled to the ceiling, they cover the first six feet from the screen and make a big difference with the depth and vibrancy of colors. The panels on the side walls are more decorative than anything since they're only 1" thick with no air gap, but they did cut down on a little of the bass echo from my towers.

I'm also running 2, 2' wide runs in the back of the room to hide the cables to the projector, once I finish the first row, I'll need to paint what's left of the ceiling and mount the projector, then when that's done I can do the second row in the back and a narrow row in the front to cover the entire ceiling space for the narrower section of the room, up front.
After that, just the led's for the ceiling perimeter and I'll be done for a while, the furniture and second row seating platform is going to wait until the fall, too many other summer projects.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 03-07-2015 at 02:20 AM.
post #19 of 81 Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up my final Supercube (II) over the weekend, arrives tomorrow.
Just the single SM450 to go and I can start saving my pennies for amps, looks like is going to be 2 Outlaw 7125's to individually amp all the surrounds + the amps in the new receiver. (right now I'm just running everything in series/parallel)
Or possibly 3rd 7125 and a pre/pro, haven't really decided yet.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 03-09-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #20 of 81 Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice setup. I have the Pioneer 1522 as well (Costco deal from a few years back right?)

Would love to go as crazy with the speakers as you, but can't due to the space constraints/lack of walls (thank you open concept floorplan). When I get around to building my basement out, then I will be doing the same type of thing.

I too am projecting on a tan/sand colored wall (no texture though) and am very surprised how well the image is defined. I am using a Panasonic AE-4000u as my projector. Brand new lamp, projector 'hand me down buy' from my co-worker who just bought the AE-8000.

How are you splitting the bass signal to all the subs? What does your back panel look like?
post #21 of 81 Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post
Nice setup. I have the Pioneer 1522 as well (Costco deal from a few years back right?)

Would love to go as crazy with the speakers as you, but can't due to the space constraints/lack of walls (thank you open concept floorplan). When I get around to building my basement out, then I will be doing the same type of thing.

I too am projecting on a tan/sand colored wall (no texture though) and am very surprised how well the image is defined. I am using a Panasonic AE-4000u as my projector. Brand new lamp, projector 'hand me down buy' from my co-worker who just bought the AE-8000.
Thanks, I got lucky, mine was an e-bay find for even less than that sale price, and as far as speakers, I think this is the last time the GF will say, "it's your room, do with it what you want..." lol.
As happy as I was with the tan wall, I really wanted a defined screen, and with it as big as it is, painted on was a no brain'r when it came to cost, and as good of an upgrade in overall picture quality the screen wall was over the tan, the black ceiling panels made again as much of an improvement in color depth and vibrancy. All things considered it's really Very Good, esp. for the overall dollar investment. Once the ceiling is painted and all the panels are installed, next big picture upgrade will be an Oppo 103d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post
How are you splitting the bass signal to all the subs? What does your back panel look like?
It's a mess...lol..

No not really, all of the Supercube's and the powered woofers for the main channels are connected using the Full Range pre-outs for each individual channel, then using the crossover on each Supercube/Speaker to eliminate some of the higher frequencies (120hz seems to blend them the best) Once I go to individual speaker amplification I'll run everything full range/large and use some mini-dsp's to do the crossover duties, right now everything is just crossed down at 50hz.
As far as the PF1500's (actual Subs) just a Y connector for the front two and normal connection for the rear. (Even though this doesn't really matter, since the 2 LFE outputs on the 1522 are simply one LFE channel with an internal Y connector anyway)

As far as the entire array goes I'll be the first to tell you that it's complete overkill and I'm basically banking on some serious hardware upgrades by mfg's in the future to truly utilize multiple discrete channels, but for now, with a room this size, it's surprisingly "normal" sounding in that none of the seating positions are lacking or really overpowered, and the "sweet seats" are really Very Good.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 03-12-2015 at 01:39 AM.
post #22 of 81 Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got the projector mounted and all of the ceiling panels up, the HDMI cable ended up being 9" to short when the final routing was done so I had to take a couple of hours and re-configure the arrangement of my equipment up front to move my AVR close enough for it to reach, PITA but better than ordering another cable, waiting a week for it, and having to re-string it through the projector mount, not to mention having to hold off on putting up the remaining ceiling panels since they are doubling as wire hides for the HDMI & Projector power.

All that's left is, ceiling paint (just the roller part, all the close-up brush work is already done) and soffit accent lighting, hope to finally be done this next weekend.

Once it's done (everything but final furniture) I'll get some better "non-phone" pic's up.

My Build Thread:
post #23 of 81 Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A couple more quick cell-pic's of the last two weekend's progress:
Projector, Panels and ceiling paint:

Accent lighting:

I could use some better blackout curtains, but these will do for now, it's actually pretty dark there, the shots of the accent lighting above the curtains were taken with the doorway curtains open just in the other pics.
Still have some Track Light Spots to install, re-finishing of the ceiling fans, and a little touch up painting and I'll be finished the summer, once I get that done I'll break out the good camera.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-17-2015 at 02:28 AM.
post #24 of 81 Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As I mentioned above it's actually pretty dark in the space even the day time, here's a look at how the picture looks in the daytime (medium sun) with the pocket door closed but with the main entryway curtains open:

Also, picked up a Darbee Darblet DVP-5000 this week, was thinking about an Oppo 103d to get some better upscaling for my DVD's & LD's than what my receiver offers, but knew it would be about two months because of the cost, hadn't really decided whether I wanted the "d" or not, so went ahead and got the Darblet for the time being to see if I like the effect or not (figured if I did, I could just move the Darblet the bedroom when I bought the Oppo). So far I'm impressed with it in my setup, I've only had time to experiment with DirecTV content so far, it does improve that picture nicely, going to try it with my other mediums this weekend.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-17-2015 at 02:52 AM.
post #25 of 81 Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my Screen Spots up this afternoon, all led, only the refinishing of my ceilings fans is left for this round of the build.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 04-20-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #26 of 81 Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up an Emotiva XPA-3 for my LCR, here's a pic of the new layout for my equipment shelf, lovin' the amp, just a couple more to go, just have to figure out where to put them.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 05-07-2015 at 09:05 PM.
post #27 of 81 Old 05-17-2015, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, since I also picked up one of the XPA-5's that I'm adding I needed to get a new component shelf, I really would like to use a rack but I just have no way to be able to use one and still get to the back of it for connections, plus where I would put it would require some extending of cables and a complete room re-wire, so I just decided to build a new shelf unit for the front, one piece of MDF, a few hours and a little paint later and it's all done, pretty happy with the way it turned out and I can just sit the remaining two amps I still want on top above the other two.

Also, I'm lovin' the XPA-5 for my surrounds, having the extra power really brings them more to life, with the AVR I was basically dividing 170w x 4 with everything in series/parallel and of course it's power supply sharing the load for "all" the channels, but with the XPA-5's power supply and 250w divided, it was a noticeable improvement, can't wait to hear it once I add the other amps and go to one amp channel per speaker.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 05-20-2015 at 01:54 AM.
post #28 of 81 Old 05-29-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, new update, believe it or not I'm actually going to be removing some speakers from the system, nothing crazy mind you...lol, I'm pulling the Inner Rears (bed and height), and here's what's up, I was using 2 rears per channel (inner and outer) and the corresponding Height speakers, while it paid off as far as the series/parallel wiring situation, the original reason for doing it was so that I could use the Inner Rears as rears for 7.1/Atmos/DTS-X and the Outer Rears for a more "behind you" position as an extension of the surrounds for Auro (since they only are supporting 5.1 + heights).
But with the way things are shaping up with the immersive formats it looks like I just won't need them, plus since I'm going to end up with one amp channel per speaker losing those two speakers will allow me to cover everything with 3 XPA-5's and an XPA-2 (only 2 5's to go) which will completely cover me so that I'll be free to decide on either a new AVR or Pre/Pro In the fall, whichever will work best for me.
Here's how the speaker and furniture layout will be with the Inner Rears gone:

Also, XPA-2 arrives Monday, so the 3 will be coming out and going to sell it, I'll run my center off my 5, and I'll be adding two 2x4 Mini DSP's for the Surrounds so I can run them large and split the signal properly between my regular speakers and my SC-II's.

Weird thing is, for some reason (at least to me) losing those extra Rears almost seems to make the setup not so crazy, it's basically just an 11.2 setup with heights and wides....plus the extra height speakers and powered woofers....lol, I guess in speaker terms it's actually 21.3......Ok I take it back, it's still a bit much....oh well.....

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 06-11-2015 at 02:20 AM.
post #29 of 81 Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 376
This room is really coming together! How do you like the center channel at its current height? I'm also curious how well those def techs take the power from the emos? I really like the way the bipolar towers sound, I want to try them out in my room but I'm concerned about power handling since I like movies at very high spl

7.2 - Pioneer Elite SC-85 | Pioneer Elite BDP 120 | Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i | DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000
Monster Power 2500 | Sharp Aquos 60" | Xbox One | Sony BRP | Plex Server | Custom TV Stand w/ Middle Atlantic Racks

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic 31-2009 Stereo EQ | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
post #30 of 81 Old 06-16-2015, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
This room is really coming together! How do you like the center channel at its current height? I'm also curious how well those def techs take the power from the emos? I really like the way the bipolar towers sound, I want to try them out in my room but I'm concerned about power handling since I like movies at very high spl
Thanks for the kind words,
The Center Channel works well at that height, it's slightly angled up, but works out perfectly for the 13' from the MLP and our normally reclined watching position, plus the SC-1522-K offers a virtual depth feature for the center that actually works really well, the sound actually seems as if it's coming out of the screen itself as if the center was behind an acoustically transparent screen.
As far as the power is concerned, I can't speak for the newer Supertowers, but the vintage ones like mine (esp. the BP2000's I'm using) love the power, it really opens then up sonically and improves on their clarity and soundstage. Most likely when I get the additional amps and new receiver I'll actually be upping the power even more for the fronts by going to some kind of mono-block configuration. (Either another XPA-2 and bridge them both or a pair of XPR-1's, most of that will depend on finances after the receiver upgrade)
And as I stated earlier the surrounds have truly improved and come into a fuller and more pronounced role in the system with the addition of the XPA-5.
I've been revisiting a bunch of movies and between the combination of ear level and height level, and the extra power I've developed a whole new appreciation for many of them.
Almost kills me that I can't get what I want in a receiver until later in the year, but I really want as many immersive audio options as possible, plus some simpler format changing ability, and now just isn't the time. While I started out leaning toward Auro and now it's anybody's guess as to where they will be in this whole thing, I still want the option of using their upmixer, I have a 2500+ DVD library and at least 100 BluRay, I just want to have the option of being able to decide which format sounds best in my room with any given movie (I'm actually planning on marking the discs as I go as to which I like best for that disc), instead of being locked into just one.

Currently my plan is:
Amps - Fall 2015
AVR / Pre-Pro - Winter 2015-16
Riser, Carpet & Proper Seating - Spring/Summer - 2016
But who knows, I didn't plan on having any Amps at all by now.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 06-16-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page