Strange question re pool table? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange question re pool table?

Hello all, it's been a long time. Thanks to great advice on this forum I've done two DIY HTs but have now moved into a home with limited space to install a home theater, but I would really like to do so. The two prior installs have each been with a DIY blackout screen. This time, owing to time and space constraints I will purchase a screen, either pulldown or motorized (likely from monoprice) but more than likely not a fixed screen owing to having to multipurpose the room.

The best 'space' to install the HT is the upstairs game room, where the previous owners left behind a fairly nice pool table with a ping-pong topper. We use this occasionally and anyway it would be a bear to remove.

The room is about 13' wide by as much as 20' long. (I say 'as much' as the last 5 or 6 feet are really not practical to use for say seating or whatever. As it is upstairs I should have decent access to the ceiling from the attic.

The big question is the pool table itself. To use this room AND not remove the table, I will have to have the table in between the seating and the screen. Yes I know this is far from optimal, and will likely compromise the sound. But how about visuals? I can drape a non-reflective cloth over the table, but am still concerned with whether this will be a substantial distraction from the video.

Hoping for answers more along the lines of 'this is what I would do' as opposed to 'don't do it', which I've already considered... the problem is no other room in this home supports this as well (even more compromises).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Personally, having something in front of me like that would drive me nuts. Pool tables are fairly high and seats are lower than the table likely.
Also think about possible equipment damage if a ball goes off the table.

I dunno man, too dicey for me, but maybe build the seats on a riser to raise them above the pool table level more?

post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
Personally, having something in front of me like that would drive me nuts. Pool tables are fairly high and seats are lower than the table likely.
Also think about possible equipment damage if a ball goes off the table.

I dunno man, too dicey for me, but maybe build the seats on a riser to raise them above the pool table level more?
Good thoughts.
I plotted the sight line and the seated viewer can see the bottom of the screen based on specific placements.
Damage risk would be minimal to none from a ball.
Riser... thought of it, might be an option though not optimal.
Thanks, please keep 'em coming.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

If you are going to drape anything over it, I would do Black velvet. Is the room completely light controlled? Or do you have lighting issues to deal with also?

post #5 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are going to drape anything over it, I would do Black velvet. Is the room completely light controlled? Or do you have lighting issues to deal with also?
Ugh. Not 100% light-controlled, perhaps 90% if at night (our viewing rarely if ever occurs during daylight hours). The back of the room is quite open to other areas of the home, which is why I'm leaving that 10% possibility.
Yeah, black velvet would be a good idea.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

With the black velvet it might not be too bad if the rest of the light is as controlled as you mentioned.
If the screen is high enough and the room is dark enough, the velvet "should" make is dissapear per se.

If you can move your PJ into the room fairly easily, I would buy some velvet at a fabric store and try it out and see if it will bug you before you move all your stuff into there.

Can you post some pics of the room? Maybe it would help to see and maybe we can suggest some reorganization. I thought I had lots of obstacles with my rooms and simple reorganizations of the room allowed me really good success that for many years have held me back from making the jump to what I have now.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With the black velvet it might not be too bad if the rest of the light is as controlled as you mentioned.
If the screen is high enough and the room is dark enough, the velvet "should" make is dissapear per se.

If you can move your PJ into the room fairly easily, I would buy some velvet at a fabric store and try it out and see if it will bug you before you move all your stuff into there.
The PJ is new, just out of the box and not even turned on, so yes I can try it out but not as a ceiling install, yet. Table will do, temporarily.
Good thoughts, PM.

As an add-on question, anyone with experience or thoughts on this screen?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I want to say I saw some "name brand" motorized pulldowns for less that were tab tensioned, but I cant recall. I did not research too much on pull downs, but saw alot of people suggesting tab tensioned ones. . . however this one says stretch @ 1% and others being %33. Not sure how accurate that is.
I think for that kind of money, you can get something that has a bit more name for itself.
My 110" Elite fixed frame was maybe $275. I can imagine if you are looking closer to $600 range, you can get a nicer motorized one.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I want to say I saw some "name brand" motorized pulldowns for less that were tab tensioned, but I cant recall. I did not research too much on pull downs, but saw alot of people suggesting tab tensioned ones. . . however this one says stretch @ 1% and others being %33. Not sure how accurate that is.
I think for that kind of money, you can get something that has a bit more name for itself.
My 110" Elite fixed frame was maybe $275. I can imagine if you are looking closer to $600 range, you can get a nicer motorized one.
Yes indeed! Amazon has Elite for reasonable prices.
I also set up the PJ temporarily, on a high chair, and evaluated a couple of placements. Might have to go across the table (ie set the couch along the longer wall of the room, such that we are facing the full 8' of the pool table). Does seem weird though...
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to post an update in case anyone's still reading :-)

We decided the pool table thing was too awkward, and moved the HT into the adjoining bedroom. This room will rarely be used (kid at college, and even when home is very accommodating). Room measures some 20 x 13.5 (one corner of it is wife's office but that's sorta irrelevant) and we will be on the long wall (ie looking across the short width). Only issue then becomes the bed on the same wall as the screen. Better than a pool table methinks.

I would now like to shift my question (maybe ask a new one? I might.) to one more about screens. What are members' experiences like with the acoustically transparent ones, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

Are there others I should consider, in the same price ballpark? Also, I have the ability to leave the screen hanging (room not used much) most of the time. Is this better than regularly using the motor? Sorry if dumb questions.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
check out Seymour AV.......http://www.seymourav.com/
probably a little pricier than the Elite line, but offering one of the most attractive tensioned screens on the market,

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page