Need help connecting notebook to HTS. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By weaselfest
  • 1 Post By weaselfest

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help connecting notebook to HTS.

I hope this is the right subforum for this. I want to connect my notebook to my TV for video but get the audio through my HTS. I have attached images which show the connections available on both my TV and HTS.

-I connect a 75 ohm RCA cable between the "digital audio out" on the TV and "digital audio in" on the HTS - This is via a coax-to-optical converter if you're wondering.
-The HTS is not HDMI ARC compatible as far as I know (can't find anything related in the manual).

-I then connect my notebook to the TV over HDMI.

-I get audio over HDMI through the TV speakers but if I set the audio to go through an EasyLink device (both TV and HTS are Philips EasyLink devices) in the TV options menu I only get silence.

-I can get audio through the HTS from the notebook if I use the 3.5 mm audio out on the notebook and connect it to the L/R RCA audio in jacks on the HTS. But this feels redundant as with this setup the HDMI cable is practically only used for video transfer.

-I had an HD digital receiver for TV channels which was connected via HDMI to the TV and optical to the HTS and the audio worked fine through the HTS speakers with 5.1 channels.

Any ideas? I'm getting the feeling that what I'm trying to do is not possible with this device combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS3568-12.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	197889   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	197897  

Last edited by apex84; 08-05-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I think you have answered your own question. When you connected your digital TV receiver, you connected the audio directly to the HTS. It has yet to be demonstrated that your TV will pass digital audio out from an HDMI input.
Could you post the owner's manual or exact make and model of your display?
Does it make a difference if you turn off the TV's speakers in the setup menu?
apex84 likes this.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply.
Here's the manual for the TV and here's the one for the HTS.

I've now connected the 3.5 mm audio out (headphone jack) on the TV with a 3.5 mm to L/R RCA cable the HTS and get sound through the speakers now. It's not an elegant setup but I guess it gets the job done for now. Obviously only stereo audio this way... I guess I'll have to get a proper sound system soon.

PS. Just to make it clear, this is what I want to achieve:
PC ---HDMI---> TV ---S/PDIF---> HTS (for audio from PC)

Last edited by apex84; 08-05-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
having some compatibility problems with the Phillips user manual pdf form. ( same problem going directly to the Phillips site, so it's not your link.) I was able to open manuals from other similar models and see your connection method as being a valid one. They show a blu ray connected via HDMI to display and digital audio out to outboard audio system, so that leaves us menu configuration or your coax to optical adapter. Do you have any way of testing the optical convertor or borrowing another one that is known to be good?
Have you tried turning off the "easylink audio" connections you mentioned? Try turning off the TV's speakers and making sure the TV's volume is turned past halfway.
All else fails you could try calling Phillips' helpline, hopefully they have more detailed scripts to work off of then the info they put in their manuals.
apex84 likes this.

underachiever extraordinaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page