Any Recommended Curtain Tracks/Carriers? How to DIY on black curtains? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sonyad

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any Recommended Curtain Tracks/Carriers? How to DIY on black curtains?

I am in search of the best way to DIY on the hanging ceiling to floor black curtains for my under construction home theatre. Can anyone recommend a good place to get strong and reliable ceiling curtain track and carriers? Any available for good deals that anyone can recommend? I have found some hospital type designs with valance on top but for my situation they would run me about $1000 total which seems ridiculous for curtains.

I am contemplating buying professional level track for about $200 and then buying Sy Fabrics Triple Velvet to hang, but have absolutely zero experience with figuring out how to combine the strips of velvet to make it look like one wide curtain (longer curtain needs to be 83" long from ceiling to floor and 132" span from left to right). Anyone have any good suggestions on how to connect panels of velvet so that they appear seamless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have any suggestions?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post
I am in search of the best way to DIY on the hanging ceiling to floor black curtains for my under construction home theatre. Can anyone recommend a good place to get strong and reliable ceiling curtain track and carriers? Any available for good deals that anyone can recommend? I have found some hospital type designs with valance on top but for my situation they would run me about $1000 total which seems ridiculous for curtains.

I am contemplating buying professional level track for about $200 and then buying Sy Fabrics Triple Velvet to hang, but have absolutely zero experience with figuring out how to combine the strips of velvet to make it look like one wide curtain (longer curtain needs to be 83" long from ceiling to floor and 132" span from left to right). Anyone have any good suggestions on how to connect panels of velvet so that they appear seamless?
Someone in the Do Dark Walls Matter thread mentioned his friend using tracks from Ikea.
Boomassiv likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bingo those are perfect
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
Bingo those are perfect
The tracks from Ikea? They are heavy duty enough and won't rip out of the ceiling if in dry wall? Any pictures of any setups anyone has that so I can see some examples?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I just made some curtains from Joanne Fabric black velvet. I used these inexpensive low profile rods from Bed Bath and Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...ry-rod/3241547

For the velvet, I cut the length about 4-5 inches longer than necessary. I used gaffer tape to fold over the sides to make a seam and used strips of gorilla tape on the top fold to create a passage for the rod to go through. Once it bunches up a bit on the rod, it will form a pleat giving it the traditional curtain look. I don't think it's necessary to connect the sections, the folds create a nice overlap between sections.

In this photo, there are four 44" inch wide sections on 1 rod covering my left hand wall. Overall I am happy with the results for a relatively low cost in materials.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just made some curtains from Joanne Fabric black velvet. I used these inexpensive low profile rods from Bed Bath and Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...ry-rod/3241547

For the velvet, I cut the length about 4-5 inches longer than necessary. I used gaffer tape to fold over the sides to make a seam and used strips of gorilla tape on the top fold to create a passage for the rod to go through. Once it bunches up a bit on the rod, it will form a pleat giving it the traditional curtain look. I don't think it's necessary to connect the sections, the folds create a nice overlap between sections.

In this photo, there are four 44" inch wide sections on 1 rod covering my left hand wall. Overall I am happy with the results for a relatively low cost in materials.

That's a sweet setup! Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to cover that entire left wall? I am really considering going the DIY route similar to this instead of paying what I consider to be WAY too much for some hospital style track and fireproof black curtains.

If you also have some time, could you go a little more in depth on exactly how you attached the curtains to the "track" or rods in this case? Do you ever open the curtains up to reveal the wall, and if so is it difficult to move with the method you used to hang them? I will want to be able to slide these back and forth to open up the rest of the room that these curtains are covering when not watching movies, so the ease of movement is important to me and may be a reason for me to go with at the very least a professional hospital-style ceiling track.

Another entire issue would be how necessary is it to have fire retardant/proof curtain material? Is it overkill? Is it a serious concern that is overlooked because of price? I have no clue how fire would react with these velvet curtains and if it would be a scary thing to have around all these hot electronics...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page