Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-08-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Complicated Theater Room

Hello All,
Im interested in converting my 9' 9" x 22' patio into a "Theater". There are many design limitations that make it almost impossible to make it a true theater so thats why i posted here instead of the dedicated theater sections.

History:
This was originally a screened in patio (outdoor) but has since been converted into an "addition". The patio was attached to the house and under the same roof as the rest of the house (Don't know why I felt the need to mention that). The screen and frames were removed and replaced with a wall of windows / doors. Because this was a patio, there are two sliding glass doors. Both lead into the house (on two separate walls). All walls are concrete.

Considerations:
The two sliding glass doors are not necessary but would be a pain to get rid of. The one on the short wall (9') is never utilized and was considering to cover this with drywall. The other sliding glass door on the long wall (22') is good because it allows sunlight into the house considering the curtains are open on the patio windows. The other short wall is a common wall with my neighbors patio.

Goal:
Fit 6 seats inside possibly on two levels. Screen wall has a 55" LED with the possibility of upgrading to a PJ. Isolate a majority of the sound in the room. I know it wouldn't be completely isolated and I dont want to build a new room inside this room.

Concerns:
This room is all concrete and glass. The ceiling is the only surface with drywall. I figured I would need to cover the tile floor with carpet but not sure what to do with the walls. The wall leading to the outside has a full length curtain that helps dampen the room a little but the other three walls are concrete or concrete and glass. Would need to figure out some way to treat them. I would also like to somehow keep vibrations to a minimum on the common wall so I dont disturb my neighbor. It is a patio and they barely go out there but not sure if the sound would travel into their home.

Equipment:
Currently running Klipsch RB35, RC35 and RS42's with a SW10. Denon AVR-S700 and 55" LED TV.

I've included a rough sketch of the room for visual. Please recommend a solution or if you think its a horrible idea or not worth it please let me know. TV is currently on the common wall. Ceiling is 8.5' incase anyone was wondering. Thanks all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.gif
Views:	22
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	203977  

Last edited by ARC3100; 08-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Floor:
Carpet or Padded Foam Flooring (like used in workshops or gyms)

Common Wall:
Acoustical Foam
then
Either make yourself some frames to create acoustical panels
or
Curtains, Curtains, Curtains....
Heavy Velour or Velvet, ceiling to floor.
Same for the house wall (w/ or w/o the Acoustical Foam.

Then curtains everywhere else.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Floor:
Carpet or Padded Foam Flooring (like used in workshops or gyms)

Common Wall:
Acoustical Foam
then
Either make yourself some frames to create acoustical panels
or
Curtains, Curtains, Curtains....
Heavy Velour or Velvet, ceiling to floor.
Same for the house wall (w/ or w/o the Acoustical Foam.

Then curtains everywhere else.
Thank you for your response...

In regards to the acoustic panels... Is there a formula to determine what size they should be? Or would I need to analyse the acoustic properties of the room first?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Honestly, there's no need to over think them, just remember the basic physics, your just trying to stop or limit the reflection/bounce of the sound waves.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Honestly, there's no need to over think them, just remember the basic physics, your just trying to stop or limit the reflection/bounce of the sound waves.

Awesome! Thank you!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page