Proper way of mounting mid-sized speakers to wall/ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Proper way of mounting mid-sized speakers to wall/ceiling

I'm moving into a new house, and would like to "cleanly" install my 5.1 setup, meaning, my TV will be mounted right on the wall, no wires visible, the front speakers mounted on the wall to the left and right of the TV.. center channel underneath.. no wires. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. I assume there must be kits out there that let you "hang" a heavier speaker off the wall, while leaving some clearance for wires? Should I use a wallplate and run a short piece of wire between the speaker and the wallplate? Or just route the wire through the wall, and make the hole look pretty?

The backs of my speakers don't have holes for hanging them/etc as far as I know. At least the Sony's don't.

I'm still debating how to do my rear speakers -- the wife does not want stands, so ceiling-mount it is. They are somewhat large/heavy as well.

My speakers (and their weights):

Fronts: Sony SS-MB150H (7.7 pounds each)
Center: Sony SS-CN550H (12.5 pounds)
Rears: Polk Audio T15 (8.5 pounds each)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There are lots of aftermarket speaker mounting brackets out there on the market: shelf style, u shaped brackets, omni ball types that hide behind the speaker, you're just going to have to figure out your mounting surface and go from there. Your bigger problem is going to be running wire. Other than using surface mount raceway, which looks tacky, you are looking at learning how to fish walls and possible the ceiling. Alternatives are pulling the base boards and clearing out a channel in the drywall for the speaker wire then carefully nailing it back up without piercing your wires. Once you get to the cavity between studs that the speaker will located, drill a hole in the drywall, just above the base plate, but still behind the baseboard, then fish up to the speaker location. If you need a bigger hole to reach your hand into the cavity to find your wire, simply install a low voltage trim ring and blank wall plate over the top with a small hole for the speaker wire to exit. The whole thing should be able to be hidden behind the speaker.
Here's a link to wide variety of speaker mounting brackets:
http://www.fullcompass.com/search.ph...mount+brackets

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page