Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for opinions on HT layout

Hello,

My wife and I recently moved into a house and are looking to renovate our basement to accommodate a home theatre. I'm looking for feedback on how to layout out the room keeping in mind that we would like to upgrade to a front projector with a 92"-100" screen size set up.

Here's the current layout (sorry for the mess):

Pros:
-This layout accomodates the fireplace
-Can accommodate 2 sofas

Cons:
-Off center seating - e.g. the main sofa facing the TV is off center due to the pillar
-Distance is short and may not be an idea distance for a front projection set up?

Now, what are your opinions if I changed the layout as follows (i.e. going lengthwise)

Pros:
-Able to sit farther back and therefore accommodate a front projector and bigger screen (92"-100")
-Able to sit center to the screen

Cons:
-corner gas fireplace is facing the back of the sofa and looks out of place. The fireplace currently vents out the back of the house...I can't move the fireplace as I can't vent out the side of the house due to code violations
-don't think I can fit a second sofa

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump....any feedback?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is a bit of a tough layout. That column makes things a bit difficult. You are going to have to decide wether you want to have your back to the fireplace or an offset viewing angle.

I suppose if I was going to add a projector than I would remove the shelving and rotate the seating position and have the fireplace behind the couch. If you have the room maybe you could move the couch forward a little bit and make the fireplace a separate "zone" in the room. Maybe you could fit a few seats next to the fireplace so it doesn't look like it is completely ignored.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I drew up a design a few moths ago for a client with a similar layout, minus the fireplace. In your situation, I'd recommend removing the bookcases and centering your larger screen on the main wall. Split your seating between the column or even incorporate a table build out into the column.

Another option would be to build a third column on the right wall that's inline with the 2 existing ones there. Sometimes the best way to hide an obstacle is to make it look like it should have been there all along.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page