Cabinet Cooling: Suck Cool Air In? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cabinet Cooling: Suck Cool Air In?

I don't know if I should suck hot air down from my cabinet and out of the garage ceiling, or blow cool air up into an AV cabinet. Any insight or experience would be appreciated.

I have a 2nd floor cabinet that shares a wall with a micro-attic. I can't vent into that attic because it's just as hot as the cabinet. However, my garage is just below the cabinet. I've purchased a vent from Cooler Guys with a slow 120mm fan on either side. It can suck the hot air out of the cabinet through the garage ceiling; however, that would require the hot air to be forced down. Or, it can blow cool air from the garage into the cabinet. Air would be drawn in or blow out of the cabinet through the door gaps.

I'm thinking that the fans would be more successful blowing cool air up, rather than hot air down. Any thoughts?

Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I don't know if I should suck hot air down from my cabinet and out of the garage ceiling, or blow cool air up into an AV cabinet. Any insight or experience would be appreciated.

I have a 2nd floor cabinet that shares a wall with a micro-attic. I can't vent into that attic because it's just as hot as the cabinet. However, my garage is just below the cabinet. I've purchased a vent from Cooler Guys with a slow 120mm fan on either side. It can suck the hot air out of the cabinet through the garage ceiling; however, that would require the hot air to be forced down. Or, it can blow cool air from the garage into the cabinet. Air would be drawn in or blow out of the cabinet through the door gaps.

I'm thinking that the fans would be more successful blowing cool air up, rather than hot air down. Any thoughts?
Hot air rises naturally, so I'm always a big fan of pushing cool air in from the bottom and letting the hot air rise out the top. I actually vent my rack right up into the open area in my floor trusses.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree. I would push cool air up and vent near the top of the cabinet or something to get the hot air out. That's based on my limited research and knowledge.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I may have misunderstood your idea so I apologize if I've got it wrong.

I wouldn't think it's a good idea suck air from the garage into the house or vice versa. The garage is meant to be sealed from the rest of the house to prevent exhaust gases from getting into the living areas.

Last edited by SeveredDime; 08-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you everyone for your reply.

Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page