Custom Retro Gaming Console TV Unit (Design phase) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Custom Retro Gaming Console TV Unit (Design phase)

Hey guys,

So i've decided i want to build my own tv unit as i can never find any that are what i need.

Can you guys give me input on how what i have created in CAD looks so far?
Those are my consoles currently and i will be expanding so there is room but if you have any better ideas please let me know, i'm still in the designing process and want the best i can make.

The top 3 drawers will be covered most of the time as the projector screen comes down to just above the av receiver.

Also i am currently using a digitech 6 input (S-video/composite/rca) 1 output switch that works with my universal remote...what else is there that i can use? I don't mind spending a bit of money. It's just i want the ease of switching between 15+ consoles.

Looking forward to hearing your input.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
gaming consoles are notorious for being massive heat generators, how are you planning to deal with thermal management?

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
gaming consoles are notorious for being massive heat generators, how are you planning to deal with thermal management?
I'll deal with the heat by having enough of a gap around each console. The consoles won't generate that much heat as only one will be turned on at any given time.
Why what would you do? I've never had issues with consoles heating up so far (But they arn't as enclosed as i have in the design.)
post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It looks like a cool project. Heat might not be an issue if you leave enough space around each console and your receiver. Otherwise I would build some computer fans into your design to move some air. There are some 120mm fans that run nearly silent. It worked well for me when I made my enclosed entertainment center a few years back.

You might want to rethink having the subwoofer stored inside the unit. I don't think that the vibrations from the sub is good for your other electronic gear but that's just a guess on my part.

Keep us posted, I really would like to see a single home for all of your consoles.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Updated TV unit design draft

Here is an updated image taking into account not having the sub take up so much room and an easier build design.
Shelves will be adjustable!

Keep the constructive reply's rolling in ;D
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Are you sure you are allowing enough for the thickness of your shelving material in the total proposed height of your cabinet? Have you taken the actual height of say, all the xboxes and PS's, added at least 3" (70mm+) each for air circulation and shear serviceability, plus the thickness of your shelf material? Not saying you need that kind of space for every device, has a lot to do with whether it is passive (non electrcally powered) or not. If you already have these components, look for where the fans and venting are located and plan accordingly. But your AV receiver, the xbox 360 ^, PS 3^, data switch or any future potential DVR type box will be the troublesome devices. I like how the revised design shows most of the devices I would concerned with, heat-wise grouped together. Assuming they fit, it may allow you to only have to worry about power venting a pair of the columns of equipment, as opposed to entire assembly. You may want to consider cutting away the center of each shelf and inserting some sort of perforated panel to allow heat to move more freely.
With all your components being installed and wired from the front, make sure to leave some extra length on your wiring to service the connections without having to feel around blindly.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
Are you sure you are allowing enough for the thickness of your shelving material in the total proposed height of your cabinet? Have you taken the actual height of say, all the xboxes and PS's, added at least 3" (70mm+) each for air circulation and shear serviceability, plus the thickness of your shelf material? Not saying you need that kind of space for every device, has a lot to do with whether it is passive (non electrcally powered) or not. If you already have these components, look for where the fans and venting are located and plan accordingly. But your AV receiver, the xbox 360 ^, PS 3^, data switch or any future potential DVR type box will be the troublesome devices. I like how the revised design shows most of the devices I would concerned with, heat-wise grouped together. Assuming they fit, it may allow you to only have to worry about power venting a pair of the columns of equipment, as opposed to entire assembly. You may want to consider cutting away the center of each shelf and inserting some sort of perforated panel to allow heat to move more freely.
With all your components being installed and wired from the front, make sure to leave some extra length on your wiring to service the connections without having to feel around blindly.
Yeah I've definitely allowed for enough space around each component. The shelves will all be adjustable anyway.
As for thickness of shelves and framing I have allowed for 10mm and the outside frame can be as thick as it needs. Only limiting factor in going higher is the remote access to each device really...and consoles need to be reached while projector screen is down.
I could possible leave the back half of each cross wall open to allow for airing or worst comes to worste I could use a 120mm fan at the back of each compartment which is powered by that device. Now that would be a cool way to manage heat.

There is at least 50m space on either side of each console though so I don't see and issue. Temp inside the house never goes ovwr 25degrees usually anyway.

Keep em coming
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Drawer slides for the top loaders like the Atari 2600?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

don't underestimate the amount of extra depth your wiring will consume, especially for the AV receiver. Now's the time to layout your wire routing too, give your power cables their own path to whatever you use for distribution/conditioning so they don't have to run in a bundle with your other low voltage. Horizontal and vertical notches are far easier to create during the fabrication phase.
This is quite the little gaming station you are creating. Can't wait to see it come to fruition.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page