Old Samsung plasma generating tremendous amount of heat in bedroom, any solutions? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old Samsung plasma generating tremendous amount of heat in bedroom, any solutions?

I have an old Samsung 58" Plasma (Model: FPT5884X/XAA). In our previous home, the TV was located in a large living room. I never experienced any heat issues as the room was probably big enough to dissipate heat better. In our new house, the TV was too large to go inside a recessed area over our living room fireplace, so it is in our master bedroom. It is sitting on a large piece of furniture (drawers) about 5" from the wall. Attached is a rough sketch (not to scale) of the master bedroom layout.

Our room gets unbearably hot when the TV is on for a while. We do have a fan in the bedroom and we have one HVAC unit for the entire house (~2000 sq ft). It's located in the unfinished basement and the thermostat is on the 1st floor. Our master bedroom is on the 2nd floor along with two other bedrooms. The 2nd floor is usually a little warmer than the 1st floor, as one would expect, but not much different. The master bedroom, though, is much hotter than the other 2nd floor bedrooms and hallway. I can only attribute that to the TV as the room feels fine when the TV hasn't been on for a while. You can feel the tremendous heat radiating off the unit when you put your hand by it.

Now to solutions. I know I could install a damper just outside the HVAC unit in the basement on the ductwork that feeds the 2nd floor. But, that would just help even out the slight different in temperature from the 1st floor as it would make most sense to locate a new thermostat in the 2nd floor hallway. Plus, if I did put the thermostat in the master bedroom, the other parts of the second floor would be freezing as it would be taking the temperature of the master bedroom with the additional heat from the TV. Another solution, which seems comical, would be to get a more efficient TV. I know if I got a newer LED LCD, it would probably make a big difference as it would be more energy efficient and put out less heat. But, I don't want to get another TV unless I know it would help.

Anyone experience similar issues? Does anyone have any suggestions for solutions? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.png
Views:	16
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	218713  

Last edited by brasskey; 08-18-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Honestly, I'd say upgrade to a more efficient unit. It's most likely more cost effective than modifying the environment to handle the older one.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post
Honestly, I'd say upgrade to a more efficient unit. It's most likely more cost effective than modifying the environment to handle the older one.
Thank you for the input.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That or get an air conditioner for the room

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Get an LCD for the summer months and use the plasma in the winter.. Summer winter hook up!

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A 58" 1080p plasma from 2007 is going to use lots of electricity. How many watts does it use? It should say on the back. Some of the early 1080p plasmas used over 500 watts so that is like a heater running in your room.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Get an LCD for the summer months and use the plasma in the winter.. Summer winter hook up!
Naw. Easier to use the LCD year round, and put the plasma on another wall with a mantel surround and the Yule Log BD looping during the winter months! Virtual fireplace with heat!
JohnstownFlood likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page