Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2.35:1 Screen Curved or Regular

Hello:

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have quick question to ask you all experts before making decision.

I have EPSON 3010 projector with Axiom 5.1 speakers system with 106" DIY screen. My projector is ceiling mounted and it is 16' far from the screen.

Now I am looking into upgrade my screen with 115" curved surface acoustic transparent screen from Silver tickets product. I am also planning to use Lumagen mini 3d for 2.35 conversion.

So my question is, should go with Curved surface or just go with regular/flat 2.35:1 screen? I talked with local HT consultant and he recommended me to go with regular (may be he just want to sell his demo screen to me). But I am still inclined towards curved surface. So some one will help me to make decision on buying screen.

I do not have dedicated home theater room. it is in the basement and open.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You don't want to use a curved screen unless you are planning to use an anamorphic lens to do your scope setup.

It will introduce barrel distortion to your image. A lens on a flat screen introduces pincushion which a curved screen mostly corrects.

Better info in this part of the forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2-...e-height-chat/
post #3 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Instead of using anamorphic lens, I am planning to use Lumagen mini 3d video processor. So you saying I should stick to flat 2.35:1 screen.

Also, somewhere I came across one you tube video, saying that I can use wied angle lens in front of the projector lens by using double sided tape instead of two prism. I don have Wide Angle Lens so I haven't verified that.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen something like that. Problem is that the wide angled lens does not stretch the image by 1.33 it did something like 1.25 so the images geometry will never be correct.

Yes, if you are using a processor to get 2:35 and/or zooming with the projector do not get a curved screen.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
I've seen something like that. Problem is that the wide angled lens does not stretch the image by 1.33 it did something like 1.25 so the images geometry will never be correct.

Yes, if you are using a processor to get 2:35 and/or zooming with the projector do not get a curved screen.
I was confused now. I was on Elite Lunette website and they say you can use curve screen even without anamorphic lens if the throw distance is long enough to avoid barrel distortion.

So you are saying Lumagen will not give me curved image on the screen. Then I should buy a anamorphic lens for the same price range. Correct?

I have already ordered 115" curved screen (2.35:1)and now from reading your post it is useless for me if I am not using lens. Should I return it? Please advice.. Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by drp4120205 View Post
I was confused now. I was on Elite Lunette website and they say you can use curve screen even without anamorphic lens if the throw distance is long enough to avoid barrel distortion.

So you are saying Lumagen will not give me curved image on the screen. Then I should buy a anamorphic lens for the same price range. Correct?

I have already ordered 115" curved screen (2.35:1)and now from reading your post it is useless for me if I am not using lens. Should I return it? Please advice.. Thanks
Yes - if not using anamorphic lens no need for curved screen, if ordered but not shipped cancel it.
If you have it on hand then you have 2 choices:
1) return it un-opened, pay shipping fee and re-stocking fee
2) keep it, and overscan into your black border will hide the barrel effect.

Unless you are using test patterns chances are you won't be able to notice it either way

here's a test shot of my image onto the frame w/o screen attached

just for fun my curved screen from side

welcome to scope viewing!!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Yes - if not using anamorphic lens no need for curved screen, if ordered but not shipped cancel it.

Unless you are using test patterns chances are you won't be able to notice it either way

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, It was already shipped and I will get it by next week. They are charging 15% re-stocking + shipping. I think I will keep it . I think instead of buying Lumagen 3d video processor for $1500, I will buy anamorphic lens for $1900. What do you think? In the mean time I will use it without the lens.

I know it is a dumb question but If I use it as it is (no lens)with over scan, can I get the curved image on the screen or not?

What do you suggest me? Lumagen 3d mini or anamorphic lens.

Thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah like mtbdubex says, if you have enough zoom on your projector then zoom it out enough to hide the distortion if you're stuck with the screen. It is true that if the throw is far away enough that the distortion is minimized.

If you decide to buy a lens there are some good options available. You can contact AVS for pricing and recommendations.

http://shop.avscience.com/

I recommend you try the new screen out with just the projector and then decide from there what to do.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will wait for my screen and see if I need lens or not.

Also, I am planning to update my AV receiver , can you suggest me which one is better.
Onkyo TX-NR929 or Denon AVR-X400. I am looking for 2 HDMI video display at the same time.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

What will you be using for screen material?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougc11 View Post
What will you be using for screen material?
I built that screen in 2008, built thread link in signature, and here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15186244
The screen material is DW laminate, in 2016/2017 I'm going AT screen with baffle wall.
The DW laminate was chosen for it's durability around my young kids, which has proven it's merit over and over.
Plus, it's a decent surface.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp4120205 View Post
Thanks. I will wait for my screen and see if I need lens or not.

Also, I am planning to update my AV receiver , can you suggest me which one is better.
Onkyo TX-NR929 or Denon AVR-X400. I am looking for 2 HDMI video display at the same time.

Thanks again.
Receiver choice almost comes down to personal preference. I personally like the Onkyo a little better cause it seems to have more power. The third HDMI out on the Denon I also like, but not enough to go with that.

Have you considered Atmos, next gen sound format just starting to come out? If I were buying a receiver today, I would get one with the feature built in even if you wouldn't implement now. Considering the prices on the 2 choices you listed, Onkyo has some options within your price range.

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/d...mos-receivers/
post #13 of 14 Old 09-12-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
Receiver choice almost comes down to personal preference. I personally like the Onkyo a little better cause it seems to have more power. The third HDMI out on the Denon I also like, but not enough to go with that.

Have you considered Atmos, next gen sound format just starting to come out? If I were buying a receiver today, I would get one with the feature built in even if you wouldn't implement now. Considering the prices on the 2 choices you listed, Onkyo has some options within your price range.

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/d...mos-receivers/

As per your suggestion and some goggle search I ordered Denon receiver and I have just received my Denon AVR X4100 with Atmos. I still have not hooked up yet but I am sure it will be great. I think for 2.35:1 ratio, I have ordered Lumigen 3d mini. People are saying it is a good processor, instead of going with ugly looking anamorphic lens in front of the projector.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-12-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck, hope that you get everything you expect of it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page