Basement Setup Questions - please critique - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basement Setup Questions - please critique

Hey guys, I am in the process of finishing my basement, and looking to wire the Main Room for Surround Sound, and the rest of the basement for stereo. For the stereo, I was thinking of going with the monoprice 6 zone amp, and for the home theater section of the main room I’ll probably use my Denon 1909 AVR that I got in 2008.
I am not a complete noob, but would appreciate all advice/critiques of the setup.
Now, on to my questions…

1. I am at a loss of where the place the surrounds and rear channel speakers. Because the room is wide open to the right of the couch I can’t mount them anywhere. I hate speaker stands, so the only other option is ceiling. Would that be terrible, or should I suck it up and use speaker stands? Note: Ceilings are 9.5 ft.
2. Is 8.5 ft from rear of couch too long of a distance for rear (7.1) surrounds? If not, I could mount those on the back wall.
3. How is an AVR typically integrated with a whole house stereo? Is it possible to send output from the AVR to my 6 zone amp? The 6 zone amp does have an optical.
4. For the Gym area, if I want to use the in-wall speakers as TV speakers, all I need to do is set the TV as an input into the amp using regular stereo audio cables, right?
5. Is there anything else I should consider while I am down to the framed walls?

Thanks for the feedback,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

No feedback?
Thinking of going with the Monoprice 15 degree angled ceiling speakers to help avoid the surrounds sounding like they are coming straight from above.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a question for you. Can your 6 zone amp output more than one input at a time? Like, can Zone 2 be playing input 1 and Zone 3 be playing input 2 at the same time?

1. Surrounds in the ceiling.
2. Rears on the back wall
3. Don't know if you already have an AVR, but you could send the Zone 2 line level output to the amp. Typically Zone 2 can be independant of Zone 1 so you can be watching a movie in your theater and listening to something different outside on the patio.
4. Yes, but depending on the amp, you might be stuck listening to the TV in all zones... see my question above.
5. Proably, but you'll figure that out as soon as the drywall goes up. haha.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

that monoprice amp has 6 inputs I think. Seems like a bit overkill to have 5 zones in a basement though - I am never going to listen to more then 2 zones at a time probably.