Acoustic treatment for a small HT room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acoustic treatment for a small HT room

Hi, I have a very small (~120 sqft) HT room with a 5.1 system.

I have a lot of echo in the room, and would really like to get rid of some of it. However, the big advantage of that echo is that it gives the feeling of a much bigger room, and I'd really hate to lose that.

I was thinking about some acoustic panels, but really got lost trying to find the right ones. What should I use for such a small room? only Absorbing panels or some diffusing as well? Any tips for small rooms?

Thanks a lot for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Treating a small room will most definitely make a difference. I have a 5.1 system as well. It was suggested that diffusion really wasn't needed for a room my size(9.5'W 12.5'L 8'H). Trust me, you will not miss the echo. I went through GIK acoustics for my room treatments. I used two of their Tri traps in my front corners. I used 2 of their 242 panels on the center front wall. I used two of their 244 panels on my back wall and I used two of their 244 panels above my head on the ceiling right over my main seating area. I really could not believe the difference between my un treated room and the results after. I thought I had a nice sounding room but the treatments just elevated it to another level. Since your room is similar in size I would recommend the same setup. You can also email GIK.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/
http://www.gikacoustics.com/products/
They are very helpful in aiding you for what you need in your room. Check out my thread. Page one post 6 starts some pics. Post 7 is the back of the room. I really think that doing that will make a solid improvement in how your room sounds. Just click my sig.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-27-2014 at 01:19 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the process of building my theatre right now. Finished riser late last night and carpet is being installed tomorrow. My room is small as well (10' x 16') and I just ordered the Primacoustic London 10 kit. I've read some decent reviews. http://www.primacoustic.com/london10.htm
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms