Is it possible to put an acoustically-transparent projection screen in front of... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question Is it possible to put an acoustically-transparent projection screen in front of...

... floor-standing speakers while somehow raising the floor-standing speakers? I rent my apartment so I can't mount anything to the wall or ceiling, nor can I install in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. Everything has to be floor-standing. I am curious if there is some kind of cabinet, entertainment center, shelf or rack that I could put my speakers on or in and then mount the screen to it in front of the speakers. I would want the screen to be at eye level and the speakers to be at ear level. To be at ear level, my front-left and front-right speakers would need to be raised off the floor about 9-10" to get their tweeters to ear level, and my center speaker would need to be raised about 34.5".

Second, should I put the tweeters at ear level or the mid-range drivers?

Third, with my front speakers in this position, would it be possible for me to use Dolby Atmos add-on speakers (the kind that you put on top of your existing front speakers)?

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 09-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I think a lot of guys raise their speakers up behind their AT screens.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not too sure about the idea of mounting your screen to your speakers. If you're handy and have a few tools, you might want to check out this thread. Many good ideas for creating a screen wall with minimal impact on the room. Often these can be friction fit, or held in place with just a few small screws, whose holes could be easily patched. Check it out:
Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
PS: Tweeter at ear level

underachiever extraordinaire
post #4 of 6 Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Whatever you do don't patch the holes in a rental like normal. Don't put hole filler on wall and trowel it leaving filler on the wall/ceiling. Just fill the actual holes only when have matching paint for walls and don't worry about ceiling color of filler matching if it's textured. Use a water color paint brush to just barely touch up the tiny filler circle on walls. Any cleaning of walls/areas that have filler will result in needing to clean/paint the entire wall.

I cannot believe how many deposits I've kept for this reason is why I warn you. Some think that filling holes is the "right" thing to do when move out of an apartment but in 99 out of 100 cases they do it wrong which results in the room needing painting. Tenants should approach this in a preservation type of restoration or leave them for the more experienced. Leaving the holes is normally the easiest way to avoid losing a deposit and wish more people would do so. Once they spackle, wipe, with putty knife, and brush paint on with a regular paint brush the the touch ups clearly stand out and cost them $500-$750 (depending on deposit required for said apartment).

Just some advice. The screen wall would be doable with minimal cosmetic affects. Just keep in mind future restoration while laying out your design. Honestly I think a wall mounted fixed or retractable screen would be easiest with speakers flanked on the outside and below but an AT screen is doable. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to those replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
Not too sure about the idea of mounting your screen to your speakers.
I never said that that was what I want to do. In my original post, I said:
"I am curious if there is some kind of cabinet, entertainment center, shelf or rack that I could put my speakers on or in and then mount the screen to it in front of the speakers."
What I meant by "mount the screen to it in front of the speakers" was 'mount the screen to the cabinet, entertainment center, shelf or rack', and not to the speakers. The speakers would be inside of the cabinet, entertainment center, shelf or rack, and I would want the screen to be at eye level and the speakers to be at ear level. To be at ear level, my front-left and front-right speakers would need to be raised off the floor about 9-10" to get their tweeters to ear level, and my center speaker would need to be raised about 34.5"."

Also, I heard that while it is possible to use upward-firing Atmos add-on speakers behind an acoustically-transparent screen, Dolby recommends positioning them 6"-1' behind the screen to avoid any reflection and any filtering. Just something else to think about in case I decide to upgrade to Atmos.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
If you're handy and have a few tools, you might want to check out this thread. Many good ideas for creating a screen wall with minimal impact on the room. Often these can be friction fit, or held in place with just a few small screws, whose holes could be easily patched. Check it out:
Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
I've skimmed the first few posts in that thread, but am not sure how a screen wall would work in my apartment, which I rent. Also, I worry that if I put holes in my wall, and then in the future move to a new house or apartment and have to fill the holes in this wall, will the new tenant in this apartment be able to put holes in the exact same places that my holes were in order to hang things or to do other stuff, or will the new tenant have to find new places to create holes?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
if you build your screen wall correctly, you wouldn't need more than two trim head screws to hold it plumb against the ceiling. Your concern for future tenants is noble, but we're talking about two 1/8" holes in the ceiling. If someone is going to hang something from the exact same location, they hopefully would be using a fastener at least as large in diameter as the one you used.
Speaker stands and a separate cabinet for your components seems to make more sense here. There are dozens of threads on how to build your own isolated stand with sand or other damping material integrated into the design, if you're going to be tweaky about it, and ready to assemble speakers stands of a wide variety of heights on the market. You're not going to find an off the shelf all in one solution for your exact application. I'm sure you can find some sort of AV credenza for your components, a small stand to raise your center channel and another pair to further elevate your front left and right off the floor. You could build your screen wall to attach to a large "foot" of plywood, set the credenza and speakers on top of it and you may not need to fasten the top of the screen wall to the ceiling at all. Just add some diagonal bracing to your bottom platform. This screen wall would have a lower section filling the area between the bottom of the screen and the floor, covered with a black, acoustically transparent fabric. A cut out for your AV credenza wouldn't be that hard to accommodate.
If you don't have access to much in the way of woodworking tools, checkout 8020.net. They make aluminum channel strut and fittings that have limitless applications.
Heck, you could build this out of two tall plastic shelves and one short one, mount your screen frame across the two, cover any parts you don't want to see with black velvet, if you want to stay super cheap.
Or just hang a Seymour AV AT motorized screen from the ceiling with enough drop to meet your desired screen height for the given ceiling elevation.
Or pick out a wall unit from some furniture warehouse and mount your screen on top of it. Plenty of room for more speakers if you have to have the googlaphonic sound. But usually, putting your speakers inside another box is just one more thing that is going to color their sound reproduction .

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 09-07-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
screen placement , speaker placement