Former fish room turned HT - input needed! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 16 Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Former fish room turned HT - input needed!

Hi all, long time lurker andrecent "time to build" member. A little back story on me first, I'm a26 y/o single dude enlisted in the AF. I work a panama 12hr schedule (rotatingfrom nights to days every 3 months). I bought my house last Feb, and I have tworenters (best friend and younger brother) who share my passion formovies/tv/gaming. There's been countless nights huddled around the N64 in thebasement. This room was my "aquarium" for the last year. Untilrecently it housed around 600 gallons of fish. I've since unloaded my monstertanks and am sticking to smaller "scaped" show tanks. None will be inmy new theatre room (until I change my mind on that of course haha). Ok enough about me, on to my thoughts.

Currently downstairs we have a60" DLP that seems to have a bad chip, the screen is like a starry nightin the south. The TV is about 4-5 years old and it's time to upgrade. Like Ipreviously said we're big gamers, movie buffs, and TV addicts (that's mostlyme). Of course whenever I'm home and the Nats or Caps are playing it's beingwatched. I'm a Bucs fan also but I don't get the games up here, unless they'reprime time, and if you watched that game a couple weeks ago you don't need tosee any more. Nevertheless, that's what this room will be dedicated to. LightTV watching during the week, and gaming/movie marathons on weekends I'm not working.

As it sits I've got my Fios box,360, PS3, Wii, N64, Sega, and HTPC (not fully finished/configured yet) in mycabinet. I plan on having all of these active. I have an Onkyo HT-RC330 sittingaround that was given to me that will be hooked up, and plan on 3.1 soundconfig. I've got some old tower speakers and a sub that I'm using, currently searching for a "budget" center channel. This is pretty basic for nowI know, but I'm an upgrade as you go kinda guy.

Here's an MSpaint mockup of the projected layout (minus furniture). The room is 13' wide, 25' long. It's unfortunately got faux wood paneling on it, and currently painted a beige color, with white trim, and a stupid white textured ceiling I'm going to have to scrape off. In the middle of the room I've got an A/C duct that sits down about 1.5' or so, 8' ceilings. This messes with where I'd like to mount the PJ,but I'm just going to mount behind it. I've been tinkering with http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm and a13.5-14' projection throw will set me up around exactly where I want my screensize to be. Also, I've settled on the BenQ W1070. I've got my slickdeals alert set, waiting for a sale!

Here's some pictures of the roomitself. Please pardon the mess. I've got a friend living on the couch for acouple weeks before he starts EOD school. I'm also trying to unload some ofthese 100000000 recliners I've inherited. This room has turned in to my junkstorage from a recent deep cleaning. I'm working on it!

The view from behind my projectedseating area, you can see the A/C duct here and I plan on mounting the PJbehind that, with an extended mount to sit right under the duct.

Another showing the duct closer.

A shot from the doorway near where I’d like to put the A/V rack. The window will be getting blacked out.

Hereis the RG6 and Cat6 drop I ran for the current TV setup. This is the main reason I’d like to keep theA/V cabinet here. It may make speakerplacement tricky, but I’ll work with it.

ButI’ve also been toying with putting the rack here in the spot picturedbelow. Running the HDMI and power to thePJ would be simpler, and if the rack is tucked away near seating, the olderconsoles controllers would be much easier to use. Noise may factor in though, we’ll see.

Here’s a shot of my ceiling, with this stupid texture thing. I hate it. The light fixture will also be replaced.

Andhere’s a shot of the back of the room. I’mstill not quite sure what I’ll do with this area. I’m debating building a bar with a few niceseats. This is another reason I’m questioning the paint that I’ll use in thisroom. This is a pretty big footprint ofmy “basement” (bi-level house, the front door is downstairs, and you can walkout upstairs in the back yard). When youwalk in and turn right there is going to be a big dark room. I’d love input here. Again, sorry for the mess.

Well that’s it for pictures. So I’m currently waiting on the initial purchase and then I’m going to hit the ground running. Thanks for reading, and sorryif this seems pointless. It’s nice tohear from people that have been where I am right now. Even though I’ve budgeted only $1,500 on theinitial job, that’s still a decent amount of money. Below are some specifics I’d love input on.

PJ Mount- As you can see that duct is messing with my placement. Fortunately I’ve locked it inwith 14’ throw gives me between 125” and 140” screen depending on the PJ zoom,that works for me. My question is if the projector is mounted to the ceiling and it sits JUST under that duct area, how far does the lens need to be from itso picture isn’t affected? It’s going tobe sitting at about 6.5’ high (from the ground) as is. I’m hoping this won’t cause issues.

Screen – I’ll be DIY’ing. I’m researching that as I go forward.

Furniture – I’ll stick with my junk until I get the room howI want.

Paint – Here’s where you guys can help me big time. I know darker is better, and if this was a dedicated room it would be black. Considering the layout and placement of the room I don’t want it to be overwhelmingly dark. I’m thinkingsomething like a dark red or dark blue, but honestly I’ll go as dark as needed to get the best picture.

Speakers – I’m pretty dead set on a 3.1 setup. I’ve got some older tower speakers for my LF and RF, but no center channel (dropped it off the back of a moving truck andkablammo). I’ll be surfing the audioforum on this. Anybody here just have3.1?

Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Shameless bump to show a near final product!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks killer. Love that equipment stand. I'm guessing you built that? I need something similar.

Used to keep some monster fish tanks myself.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man, it's actually ikea haha. I was thinking of doing a cabinet, but I thought I'd try this. I love it. Plus it only set me back about $120. Now I need to narrow down what I want to do for seating!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice!

Looks like you've made some great progress on the limited budget. Do you have any other pics?

What happened to all the fish tanks? I used to have an african ciclid setup for 10+ years until my last one died. I've been tankless for the past 4 years and am thinking about adding in an aquarium setup when I finish my basement build.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Onkyo TX-SR606 | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)
post #6 of 16 Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Looks like you've made some great progress on the limited budget. Do you have any other pics?

What happened to all the fish tanks? I used to have an african ciclid setup for 10+ years until my last one died. I've been tankless for the past 4 years and am thinking about adding in an aquarium setup when I finish my basement build.
I'll take a few when I get home, the theatre end of the room is clean currently, minus the PJ power and hdmi cable dangling from the raceway in the corner. The back end of the room is where I plan to make a bar area and it's filled with junk. Also, my frat boy furniture is all I have so that really dumbs the place down.

As of about 6 months ago I got out of the aquarium life. I work 12 hour shifts and had 8-10 tanks up and running at any given time. When I called it quits I had a my 220g, two 180g's, a 125g, 75g, 55g, 40g, 4 10g's, and my 4g rimless cube running. Between feeding, cleaning, water changes, and the electricity bill I couldn't justify it anymore. I kept mostly central and south American cichlids. My 220 housed a few beautiful silver aro's, I really miss them. I know I'll get the bug again. I'll be building a bar for the theatre room and wouldn't mind building a simple 55g show tank in to it. A planted community would look pretty nice in the room, but I'm not too keen on having fish around when I'm blasting my subs during movie time.

Now if I could take all that money I dropped on fish over the last 10 years, I'd have one hell of a theatre!
post #7 of 16 Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a higher res shot of the one below:

post #8 of 16 Old 01-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer View Post
Thanks man, it's actually ikea haha. I was thinking of doing a cabinet, but I thought I'd try this. I love it. Plus it only set me back about $120. Now I need to narrow down what I want to do for seating!

I just went and looked @ Ikea online. Think I'm stealing that idea!

You going to do casual seating? I ended up getting a sectional @ BigLots for cheap for mine. It's not exactly dedicated theater seating but for a casual seating it'll work. I think something like that would look good in yours.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Now if I could take all that money I dropped on fish over the last 10 years, I'd have one hell of a theatre!
I hear ya man. Same here.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

New plan is to section off the room in to a theatre area and bar area with a half wall with a bar top behind the couch. I'll throw some bar stools there for additional seating. Carpet is going to be ripped up and hardwood placed. Should turn the back of the room in to a nice little lounge with the fireplace and all.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Pretty happy with how it turned out. The keezer picture is kinda iffy, but that's what the giant chest is in front of the window. May go enjoy the room now since I'm off work. Cheers!

I need to finish up the wiring portion, and get some rear surrounds mounted and wired. I'm also looking for some sort of lighting to go above the bar (mounted under the shelf I built). Anybody have any ideas on some sort of direct lighting? I don't want anything to wash over to the couch area.
post #12 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Former Air Force cop here lol looks good I've actually just moved into my new house and thought about buying a fish tank but never owned one and don't want to be killing fish lol . What size screen is that ? I use phillp hue lights so I can control the light output.
post #13 of 16 Unread Yesterday, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Very nice! I like the sitting ledge/bar a lot. I'm still debating about doing one in my theater room. Right now I have just an old sectional for seating. It's old but it's comfy. Down the road I may build a smal sitting ledge will see. Good job on the room.
post #14 of 16 Unread Today, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Very nice! I like the sitting ledge/bar a lot. I'm still debating about doing one in my theater room. Right now I have just an old sectional for seating. It's old but it's comfy. Down the road I may build a smal sitting ledge will see. Good job on the room.
I wasn't intitially planning on doing it like this. I was just going to leave the whole room carpetted and have a big couch section off the room. I'm very VERY happy I decided to go this route. The added seating is great. I find myself sitting at the bar more than lounging on the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Former Air Force cop here lol looks good I've actually just moved into my new house and thought about buying a fish tank but never owned one and don't want to be killing fish lol . What size screen is that ? I use phillp hue lights so I can control the light output.
Well I'll be the first to say, they're a handful. But a well done tank is worth it. I used to sit and watch them for hours. Screen is 110". I'm debating changing the light fixture and throwing a dimmer switch in, would be nice to adjust the output for sure.
post #15 of 16 Unread Today, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I love the look of the TV stand the wife wants something similar under the screen in my HT in progress. I checked out Ikea's website but I couldn't find that particular one do you remember what crazy Swedish name they gave it?

Also what size did your screen end up being? I know you said between 125" - 140" just wondering the finished size.
post #16 of 16 Unread Today, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsBacker585 View Post
I love the look of the TV stand the wife wants something similar under the screen in my HT in progress. I checked out Ikea's website but I couldn't find that particular one do you remember what crazy Swedish name they gave it?

Also what size did your screen end up being? I know you said between 125" - 140" just wondering the finished size.
It's Ikea Besta (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...910/#/80218458) in black/brown. I would have liked black, but this is the closest I could get. I've got the 3 cabinet and 2 cabinet bolted together. Standard ikea legs and good to go!

Screen is 110" DIY, matte while milliskin over matte grey moleskin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page