Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-08-2000, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my second post in recent days on this issue.
I have been experimenting with my new Sony digital camera, trying to get a few good pics of my room. I think these may be a little better than the last, but I'm still experimenting. One problem is pictures being too dark, However, I've found that the brightness of the pics can vary greatly depending on which program I use to open them! I have two different photo programs on my pc and I was very suprised when I discovered this. I am using a service called Pixhost for the ULR's listed below, and I find that the pics appear significantly darker when viewed here than they do directly on my pc.
I would like to see some pics of other's home theater rooms if anyone cares to post something. I'm still trying to get a nice finished look, but it still isn't there yet.
Some of the rooms they publish in Audio Video Interiors Magazine are really awesome, but it's hard to duplicate that really fine finished look.
Seems like you should be able to get similar results with a little imagination however. I'd like to get some other ideas. Who else out there has some pics to share with the rest of us?
http://www.pixhost.com/pixt/timw/frontview1.jpg
http://www.pixhost.com/pixt/timw/frontview2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-09-2000, 12:20 PM

The pictures are still dark, but I have to give a thumbs up to anyone who would use "Planet of the Apes" as their source material...

You might want to consider buying a quartz halogen work light for $20 at the Sears or Walmart..the light is very harsh, but it tends to fill out a dark room when using a digital camera..I'll be posting my pics soon

Richard Bird
post #3 of 8 Old 03-09-2000, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Man!

Tim, that is one of the coolest rooms I've seen.

It would be neat if you can get larger sized images so we can see more detail.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-10-2000, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Thanks Lawrence.
I would really like to see what others have done, should anyone else care to post something. I think the challange of putting together a nice room is an interesting topic in and of itself (especially those of us who dont' have $50k to have a professional do it). You can duplicate the look and feel of those ultra-expensive home theaters, if you're a little creative. I saw one room recently by a do-it-yourselfer that was outstanding. It looked very formal and finished. One of his ideas was to use cheap 8" PVC pipe as columns in is room. He dressed them up by putting a base on each one and painted them.

I am "reasonably" happy with my set up at this point, but I'm always looking for better ideas. I've taken great care to hide all of my speakers (the black area around my screen is all accoustically transparent fabric which conceals them). I'm still not entirely happy with the room as a whole, but I'm not sure what I want to do to change it at this point.
Anyone else want to show us your setup?

post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-2000, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Brian:
16' wide, 24' long
I am considering replacing the leather couch and loveseats with some really nice theater seats I found recently. The problem at hand is raising the back rows. The entry to my room is in the back, so if I put a riser in the back to accomodate a second or third row of seating, you will have to step up when you enter the room. Not sure how I would tackle that. Anyone else had that problem? TIt's a good example of the kind of thing I would like to see what others have done.
If anyone needs a place to post pics, try Pixhost.com. It's cheap and easy to use. The pictures stay up for 30 days and you can post the ULR's here.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2000, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TEW,
Actually, I wanted to give you "2 Thumbs Up"
but I could only give you one. Your HT room is very nice! It's the kind of room I can only dream about (at least for the next 5 years). Are you sure the guys from AUDIO/VIDEO INTERIOR haven't been there yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif.....

jidelite
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2000, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Chris:
I am waitng to hear from someone who has a contact with some nice used theater seats. I should know more within a few weeks.
Having said that, I am undecided about whether I want to go with theater seats. Although this type of seating looks great, it won't be as comfortable as what I have now. Sometimes I like to lie down, sometimes I like to just slouch and kick my feed up on the coffee table. Theater seats don't offer as much comfort. If you have a Sam's Club or PriceCo in your area, they get really nice reliners occassionally for about $300 each. I can let you know about the theater seats if you are still interested in them.
Looks like you're just getting started with your room. How big is it? Have you decided on wall coverings, colors, ect? Plan it out as much as you can. My room was much different originally. I built my entire house myself and the movie room was a big consideration. I ended up ripping the whole thing out after just a year or so because I wasn't satisifed with it. It looks MUCH different now. If I'd planned it better in the beginning I might have saved myself a lot of extra work the second time around.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Tim

post #8 of 8 Old 03-14-2000, 08:02 PM

Tim your theater looks great. If this is the same Tim I have been talking to it will give me a better idea of what type of seats you want in your room. My contact should be back in town this week. I am about to have a week off. If he has seats in maroon and you are still interested, I can possibly go up there next week. My room has ceilings somewhat like yours. I may call you to ask you a few questions. Talk to you soon.
Jason Brooks

Signature...Does anyone have a pen I can borrow?
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page