Which DirecTV Channels are Broadcast in Dolby Digital? H/W Questions Too - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-08-2000, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
And for each DirecTV channel being broadcast in Dolby Digital, is it being broadcast in Dolby Digital 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1?

Another question, how expensive is a DirecTV STB that has Dolby Digital decoding? Can you mix and match Sony and RCA STBs and dishes? Compatibility isn't a problem? I currently have a bare bones RCA STB but would like to upgrade to a Dolby Digital STB. If anyone has recommendations of RCA or Sony models can you please let me know model #s, approximate cost and who may carry them for a reasonable cost (e.g., online retailers)?

Last question, do any of the Dolby Digital DirecTV STBs have integration of the OTA antenna (roof antenna) with DSS? My current RCA STB only passes through the roof antenna channels; it doesn't integrate it with the onscreen guide which would be desirable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-09-2000, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, I find this all very surprising. I would think more non-HDTV channels, especially channels such as HBO and Showtime would have Dolby Digital. I have no plans for an HDTV-ready TV so going the RCA DTC100 route is really a waste of $$ for all of that $$. It sounds like DirecTV needs to get with the times!
post #3 of 3 Old 03-09-2000, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it makes total sense for DSS STBs to tune OTA signals it receives. What a hassle it is to have to select a different input on your TV to watch local channels and tune via the TV tuner's remote for those channels and the DSS remote for the DSS channels. This is a stupid design. And requiring the purchase of an HDTV-capable STB to do the integration at a high price is stupid. Not everyone has, wants or can afford HDTV. That's my two cents...
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page