The Broke EF build thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Broke EF build thread

It is finally time! I have been passionate about home theater for quite some time (about 15 or so years) but have never really be able to have a proper setup. Usually that was because of living in a small apartment, or some other similar living condition. Now that I finally have my own house, the gloves are off! I do not post on this forum very much, but I have been lurking for years. I actually started a build thread earlier on another site, so I am going to more or less copy and paste it here for now. Going forward though I will update both sites properly.

(Originally posted 11-30-2014)

I started to write a bit of a back story, but then deleted it. Nobody wants the boring details of how I got here! Suffice to say that I recently bought a house, and the down stairs area was fairly well suited for a home theater type space. It is not without its challenges, but since this is NOT a dedicated theater it should be more than good enough. The only piece of equipment that will be making it into this setup is my Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2010 receiver which I got a couple of years ago now. I will probably use my Panasonic BR player temporarily, but will be replacing it with an OPPO sooner or later. Why don't we just do a basic gear list that sounds easier?

Main room (7.2 planned, wired for 7.2.4 with bi-amped fronts)
Receiver: Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2010
Blu-Ray player: OPPO BDP-103
Amp: Emotiva XPA-7
Projector: BenQ W1070
Screen: Visual Apex 106" tab tensioned motorized
Front tower: EMPTek R55Ti
Center: EMPTek R56Ci
Side surround: EMPTek R55Wi
Back surround: EMPTek R5Bi
Subs: SVS PB-2000 (X2)
I also built a new HTPC (click for HTPC thread) and have a Silicone Dust HD Home Run Extend-2

The family room is also going to get a 5.1 set up eventually. For now I will be using my old Integra DTR 5.4 to run it all along with my Panasonic Blu-Ray player, and Canton speakers. Eventually I will change out everything and go with in-wall fronts and in-ceiling surrounds, and a small sub. This will also be the "Zone 3" from the main system. I am going to do Zone 3 as a preamp out into some input (probably AUX) on the receiver in the family room.

Last up is the garage and back yard. This will act as Zone 2, and I will hook it up the same way as the family room. I am using my trusty old Kenwood receiver, and my my Infinity Pimus 150 bookshelfs for now. When I re-do the garage I will probably change the receiver and the go to in-ceiling speakers with a small sealed sub. I am going to just hook up a pair of outdoor speakers to the "B" pair for the back yard for the rare occasion I need some music out there.

I am also doing a wired network thought the house, and redoing all of the cable and antenna RG-6 cable while I am at it.

Let’s get on to the pics, the reason everyone is here!!!

I started by ordering up 1,000ft of 12ga speaker wire, 1,000ft of CAT6, and 500ft of RG-6 to start out. I ended up getting another 500ft of RG-6 and 250ft of 12ga speaker wire. Here is a shot of the first order of wire and some connectors

After the wire came in I built my equipment rack, and got the closet ready to hold it. I punched, formed, and welded the shelves at my work using 18ga brushed stainless steel. I used 1/2" rod for the uprights and everything except the casters is stainless steel.

All finished!

Then came the gigabit switch, and patch panel in the rack style bracket. I have a shelf coming this week for the remaining spaces.

And then the pieces of the new HTPC. Too bad the case didn't fit the MB, and the one HD was dead on arrival. New parts should be here soon.

Then I got the 28" Samsung 720p LED, and made up a bracket to attach it to the rack. This will be used as a monitor for the HTPC as well as a display for the system for adjustments and watching TV in the office.

After that we started cutting holes to plan our routes, and see what we were dealing with. Lucky for us there were no real surprises. You will see the holes later, so no pics of holes in walls with no wires J [IMG]file:///C:\Users\seans\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]We also fixed the antenna wiring from the roof into the attic and removed a metric **** ton of RG59 cable that was literally all over the house (inside and out). Years of various suppliers running cable badly led to a massive amount of junk wiring. NO MORE!

After we planned out the runs, I got to rough cut everything to length!

This weekend we finally got to the good stuff, running wire!!! We had set up 3 separate pulls into the main room because of the amount of wire. We ended up splitting the room in half, so one run is

Front Left 1
Front Left 2
Sub Left
Center
Sub Right
Front Right 1
Front Right 2
Front Atmos Left
Front Atmos Right

The second run is
Network 1 (projector)
Network 2 (projector)
Network 3 (left side wall)
Side Surround Left
Side Surround Right
Rear Atmos Left
Rear Atmos Right
Rear Surround Left
Rear Surround Right

The third run (not in yet)
HDMI 1 (projector
HDMI 2 (left side wall)

ON TO THE PICS!

Before cleaning up

And after

Also, that one outlet is going to change to two, one at each sub. We have to see what the circuit is like, but will probably just pull a new one for them.

The rear section is only run down the middle, so excuse the messy looking wires back there.

And here is the closet side all together!

That is all for now! Not a lot to look at yet, but it is getting there. We should have the main room all pulled to final locations this weekend, and hopefully have all of the wire up to the attic as well. Then we need to distribute out to the rooms for Antenna, Cable, and Network.

I have to take a second and point out that I am doing all of this by really mostly watching my buddy Chris do it all [IMG]file:///C:\Users\seans\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]He is a union electrician who is very patient with all of my demands. We have worked on a ton of various projects over the years, but this is the biggest one I can remember where I just try and stay out of the way. So far he is being a good sport, but we aint done yet! Then again he wants it done quickly (as quick as my OCD will let us) so we can get back to working on his car (X275 turbo LS Trans AM). At least then I feel like I am contributing since the roles get reversed on the car since I can weld.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post I tend to ramble on a lot. Hope you guys like what we are doing! I am sure I will have a bunch of questions as it all comes together, so look out for those as well.

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-05-2015, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

(Originally posted 1-4-2015)

It is FINALLY update time!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! As you could imagine, with the holidays it’s been pretty busy so work was a bit slow. But progress was made regardless, and I finally was able to get some pics to post up and show you what we have been up to.

So since the last update we have gotten (almost) all of the wire run to the main areas. That is to say we have the upstairs wire pulled into the attic, and temporarily terminated an antenna cable so I can hook up my HD HomeRun in the basement. The TV's in the bedrooms are hung, but we have not bothered to run the wiring to them, or move the outlets yet. This may be we we do this coming weekend, or if not then, very soon.

Now I think I will take the lazy way out, and move to mostly pics [IMG]file:///C:\Users\seans\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]

Here you can see my wife sealing me into the basement before I rip down the ceiling. There were a few reasons to pull down the entire ceiling, mostly that it was installed like crap. They had glued and nailed it mostly so it was VERY wavy. The can lights were also "installed" poorly to put it nicely. Also we needed quite a bit of the ceiling removed to do the planned electrical work. SO I decided to just take it all down.

I sealed off the other rooms, and the return vent, though that last one was pointless since it used the drywall to make the channel.

And ALL GONE! I didn't get any pictures after I pulled it down until days later after we did a bunch more work AND cleaned everything. Still, I think you get the point.

Here you can see the box for the power to the projector, and two of the 3 boxes for pendants over the bar. We also segmented the lighting, so the cans are 3 zones, and the pendants are separate from the cans. More on all of that later on once I get some of the lighting gear.

Here is the last pendant box

The main trunk of wire coming into the room. It is still missing a USB extension, but again you get the point.

New box going from a single switch to 4 for the lighting. They are all temped together so that switch turns it all on for now.

New cable from outside. No more cable wrapping around the house for no reason. Goes straight to the main equipment close from the junction box on the side of the house.

Not very exciting, but added a switch for the closet light (but have not changed out the light yet)

Here you can see where we added two new dedicated 20A circuits. We aslo changed out the sump pump outlet to the proper simplex outlet.

Here you can see the second outlet that we added higher up for the network gear.

A better shot of the two main trunks of cable coming into the closet (and the trunk that goes to the left that goes up to the attic). The bundle on the left is all of the speaker cable for the main room, and the one on the right is most of the network cables. The piece of drywall is temporary spacing.

Here are most of the I/O connections for other areas of the house (except the subs of course)

Last up is a shot of the front wall showing the two new outlets for the subs which are on a dedicated 20A circuit.

We still have a bit more wiring to run, mainly the stuff in the office. We also still need to add an outlet for the screen in the front of the room. I think this upcoming weekend we will take it easy and trim out all of the TV's That means adding an outlet, bringing in/terminating the Antenna, Cable, and two CAT 6 network connections at each location. We need to do that in 3 spots, and more or less the same in a fourth spot in the family room which has the addition of the RCA connections for the Zone input.

Speaking of the family room, I am being pressured into changing my plans from a receiver in the room with in wall/in ceiling 5.1 to going with a sound bar. Obviously this would not be the room to watch movies in, but it is where we do most of our daily TV watching. What does everyone think?

OK, that is all I have for now. Let me know what you all think of the progress so far! Stay tuned for more updates soon

Sean
post #3 of 15 Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Holy Cats! You've been busy.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Holy Cats! You've been busy.
LOL thanks! We try and work at a steady pace to keep up the progress every week. We have been lucky in general that we haven't run into too many issues. So far everything has been pretty straight forward, and has gone to plan. It really helps too when your best friend is a union electrician, and this is all super easy for him compared to his day job Honestly if it wasn't for his help (and by help I mean him doing all the work) this project would be VASTLY scaled down. The same can be said in reverse about his car though, so it all works out.

We were talking about this exact subject yesterday when I told him how shocked some of my co-workers were on the scale of this project. To me (and especially to him) it is really not that major of an undertaking. For a small home it seems excessive I guess, but if you are pulling 1 wire to a room you can pull 4 wires just as easy. I'll give you a quick example of something that seems really difficult (and I actually was expecting it to be myself), but ended up being very easy. Because my house is a split level going from the "basement" to the attic means going up a single floor (with 8' ceilings). First off we didn't really think about the fact that it was only one floor. Second the wall we used to go up was extra deep since it was the main wall for all of the plumbing. Since it was an interior wall as well, once we pulled the insulation in the attic back you could see all the way down. Hell, I could have almost reached down and just grabbed the wire from him! So things like that which I thought was going to be a challenge were as easy as could be. The things we thought would be easy, well they were super easy His experience also means he has plenty of tips and tricks for times when things are a but more difficult, which has been exceedingly rare so far.

Anyway, I am rambling. Thanks for checking it out, and stay tuned for more updates this weekend. Hopefully we should be VERY close to done with wiring. It depends on how ambitious we feel I guess.

Thanks,
Sean
post #5 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yea I like your build. Looks nice and clean! Having an electrician friend is huge! My brother in law gave me a hand with getting started and helped me get most of my can lights installed. He also added in my sub panel which I could not of done by myself. But he lives about 15 hours south so by the time he had to go back home I had a good handle on what I was doing with the electric and was able to do the rest myself. By the end of it I could of been an apprentice pipe bender with all the conduit I had to put in (Illinois code) and before starting I never bent a pipe in my life. I'm glad that you have found things to be easier then expected! For my build I'd have to say most things were the opposite for me. Most things that I would of thought would not be to hard turned out to be a huge pita! But mostly probably due to me never doing anything like this before. So having to research everything was time consuming! But I've learned a lot along the way so the next basement if there ever is one I should be good. My father helped me do most of the framing and between him and me we figured things out pretty well. I'm looking forward to some day helping my boy's do something like this in their homes when they are old enough!

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Your build is one of my favorites, and was MUCH more involved than mine is! Electrical is not too bad, but having the tools, and knowing the little tricks is extremely helpful. My buddy actually hasn't done pipe work in a while since now he does mostly building automation and programming. He said if he was set up to do pipe work all day on a job he could do 400 or so feet of pipe in a day. So doing my few feet here, few feet there is nothing You also kind of touched on another piece of the puzzle with the sub panel. We have added three 20A circuits (two in the equipment closet, and one for the subs), but we are also adding a sub panel in my garage as part of this project. That is something I would be leery of doing myself even if I had all of the gear needed. Something about 100amps seems better left to someone who knows what they are doing.

I think having had some experience with working on houses gave me a pretty good idea of what I would be dealing with. We were not 100% sure which way my joist ran before we opened the ceiling, but knowing basic construction we could guess pretty well (and we were right). We have both done framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, etc. before so we also were not scared to bust open a wall if need be As I said though, to me this is actually a pretty simple project. If you take away the electrical, then it is a very simple project. It looks intimidating because it is a lot of wire, but it really is as simple as making a couple holes and throwing the wire from one to the other. People who have never done anything like this before seem to think that the difficulty ratchets up because its 20 wires from one room to the other instead of 2. Unless its going through a tight area it makes no difference really how many wires it is.

I am babbling again. I am sure you see what I am saying having tackled a much larger project than mine. Yours is turning out great, and I hope to finish mine with as much quality and detail as yours.

Sean
post #7 of 15 Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SUBSCRIBED!!! Awesome cant wait to see it complete.

HT RIG - Samsung UN75H7150 | Marantz SR5006 | PSB Image B6 / C4 | Klipsch RW-12D | HTD HD-W65 Rears | Tivo Series 3 1TB DVR |
2CH RIG - Marantz SR580 | PSB Image T5 | U-TURN Pluto Phono Preamp | Technics SL1200MK2 |
GARAGE RIG - Yamaha HTR5540 | PSB Alpha Mini | Energy ES8 | Apple Airport |
post #8 of 15 Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just checked out your thread , and was going to say either you're an electrician , or ONE HELL of a DIY'er befotre I saw your post about your buddy being one. It is clear that hes used to working commercial or industrial , because virtually no houses are wired that way . EMT , chases and support for the data lines, got to say it's sexy! 15 year union electrician here.I'm used to most of my hard work being buried and invisible when everything is done , and unfortunately most of my personal clients ( non HT enthusiasts) don't want the walls opened up enough to be able to run pipe instead of romex or maybe flex , but one of these days I'm going to open up my walls and attack it the way yours is done, or maybe run all the pipe on the surface , so I can see everything. Good luck on the rest of the build , I'm looking forward to seeing it transform.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Just checked out your thread , and was going to say either you're an electrician , or ONE HELL of a DIY'er befotre I saw your post about your buddy being one. It is clear that hes used to working commercial or industrial , because virtually no houses are wired that way . EMT , chases and support for the data lines, got to say it's sexy! 15 year union electrician here.I'm used to most of my hard work being buried and invisible when everything is done , and unfortunately most of my personal clients ( non HT enthusiasts) don't want the walls opened up enough to be able to run pipe instead of romex or maybe flex , but one of these days I'm going to open up my walls and attack it the way yours is done, or maybe run all the pipe on the surface , so I can see everything. Good luck on the rest of the build , I'm looking forward to seeing it transform.
Thanks guys! I showed my buddy your post and he said I should have claimed I was a first time DIY'er just to mess with people. You are correct, before he was union he did residential and light commercial. Once he got in the union he was doing commercial build outs mostly. He was used to all of his work being exposed for years which means (to him at least) that it has to be perfect. On top of that we both have an attention to detail that (apparently) many do not have. To both of us it doesn't matter if it is exposed or not, it still needs to be the best it can be.

In my area of IL pipe is standard for electrical, but most people would have done a lot of what you see in flex. We have done some flex, and will actually be doing some more, but in the closet and the main room we decided it was best to open everything up to be able to run wire and electric properly. I also cant stand romex, so even if my house was done in romex I would have insisted on piping anything we were doing. I do like the surface mounting idea if its done nicely. My buddy just added a sub panel to his garage and decided to run all surface mount since it was all drywalled already. I was a bit skeptical of it at first, but it looks great! We will probably do my garage the same way when I get around to that project later this year (I hope).

Not much to update this week unfortunately. We tried to work on my kitchen lighting which has turned out to be the biggest pain in the ass! Long story short it has 4" cans currently. 4" cans are already more of a pain than 6" cans, but I was able to find some LED trims for cheap. I already knew they were going to be a bit more complicated to install than usual since my 4" cans also use a GU24 base bulb for some reason. So we went to install the LED trims a couple weeks ago to find out that the cans are some weird semi finished can that neither of us has ever seen. No biggie, we will just change them out to a standard remodel 4" can which isn't so bad since the existing ones are not IC rated anyway. This weekend we tried to install the cans just to find out that the holes for the existing cans are exactly the same size as the ring on the new can housings. Meaning that they wont work since you can push it straight through. Anyone who understands how these work will be wondering why the old ones fit since its pretty standard sizing. WELL as I said the existing lights are "semi finished" so the ring that is against the drywall is almost the full size of the trim ring. That gave the people installing it a lot of room to make the hole too big.

Anyway, after much debate we decided that we are going to change them to 6". The reason this was a debate was that some of them are up against the rafters (may not be the right term) so they will be shifted to one side. We had thought that more of them were in this predicament, but it turned out it will only affect two so we can live with it. The other option would be to cut out a larger square of drywall, patch it in, and cut it out for the standard cans. That seemed like much too much work, so going bigger won out. Its a debacle for something that should be super easy and it was very annoying!

After working all of that out we went and got the remaining supplies to wire up the TV's, and a fan controller for the master bedroom. When we got back I got to work changing out the fan in the master, and adding in the fan controller so we can FINALLY use the switch to turn on a light in that room Chris stirred off the couch to wire the controller, fan, and switch so everything worked like it should. I then took the fan from the master and swapped it with the hideous fan in the guest room. That was really all that we got done I hate to say. We had gotten an early start and the wind was taken from our sails early on for the day. This coming weekend we will hit it hard and should hopefully finish the wiring. Then again, I said that last week

Thanks for following along!
Sean
post #10 of 15 Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

So, no update yet (since I work on the basement on the weekends) but I have some questions. After making the mistake of looking over at the dedicated theater builds I have some concerns. My latest plan was to do some fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and add resilent channel with 5/8" drywall. Is that really worth the effort though? The reason I ask is because the walls are all going to be as is. So that means that two walls are fully insulated, the back wall is currently half insulated (but that will change) and the right sidewall is just 1/2" drywall with no insulation which means is almost useless. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to be able to properly do all of the walls and ceiling which sucks. Anyway what I cant decide is if the channel is worth the effort/money. I see the insulation being worthwhile but I feel like the only advantage to the channel is to help keep the rest of the house quieter. I don't actually care about that though since its only the wife and I. I am more concerned with things that will help the sound within the room be better more so than keeping the rest of the house quiet.

OK that was a bit of a rant, but help guide me in the ways of cheap ways to help the sound within the room! I do plan on DIY acoustic panels later on as well, so we can skip those for now.

Thanks guys!
Sean
post #11 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke EF View Post
So, no update yet (since I work on the basement on the weekends) but I have some questions. After making the mistake of looking over at the dedicated theater builds I have some concerns. My latest plan was to do some fiberglass insulation in the ceiling and add resilent channel with 5/8" drywall. Is that really worth the effort though? The reason I ask is because the walls are all going to be as is. So that means that two walls are fully insulated, the back wall is currently half insulated (but that will change) and the right sidewall is just 1/2" drywall with no insulation which means is almost useless. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to be able to properly do all of the walls and ceiling which sucks. Anyway what I cant decide is if the channel is worth the effort/money. I see the insulation being worthwhile but I feel like the only advantage to the channel is to help keep the rest of the house quieter. I don't actually care about that though since its only the wife and I. I am more concerned with things that will help the sound within the room be better more so than keeping the rest of the house quiet.

OK that was a bit of a rant, but help guide me in the ways of cheap ways to help the sound within the room! I do plan on DIY acoustic panels later on as well, so we can skip those for now.

Thanks guys!
Sean
Suggest that you save your money versus using hat channel and clips on the ceiling. Since you're not planning to do the side walls (particularly the right sidewall which has 1/2" drywall and no insulation), you would have sound flanking that expensive soundproofed ceiling. There are a few good papers available on the Soundproofing Company website.

Since the ceiling is open, putting some R-19 or similar up there would be worthwhile to attenuate some of the sound. And, if you're replacing the ceiling, you may as well use 5/8" drywall versus 1/2" since that doesn't add too much cost. But, the clips and hat (not resilient) channel add cost for little benefit given how much you plan to do.

Also, thanks for checking out my build.

My in progress build thread:
The Salt Mine
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Suggest that you save your money versus using hat channel and clips on the ceiling. Since you're not planning to do the side walls (particularly the right sidewall which has 1/2" drywall and no insulation), you would have sound flanking that expensive soundproofed ceiling. There are a few good papers available on the Soundproofing Company website.

Since the ceiling is open, putting some R-19 or similar up there would be worthwhile to attenuate some of the sound. And, if you're replacing the ceiling, you may as well use 5/8" drywall versus 1/2" since that doesn't add too much cost. But, the clips and hat (not resilient) channel add cost for little benefit given how much you plan to do.

Also, thanks for checking out my build.
Thank you for the reply! That pretty much sums up what I was thinking, that making the ceiling pretty good is kind of a waste since the walls wont match. I am planning on stuffing the ceiling with the itchy stuff and then putting up 5/8" drywall like you said.

Your build is fantastic! Really great work you did on it! One day, in a different house I will do a build like that

Sean

Last edited by Broke EF; 05-18-2015 at 09:08 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

It is finally time for an update! It's not as much of an update as I would like, but that's how it goes sometimes. As it stands right now 99% of the wiring is pulled where it needs to go. There is still some networking and an HDMI cable that need to be finished in the office, but it is already pulled out to the main room. We still need to do the wiring at the TV's, and add 1 more outlet for the screen in the main room. Hopefully my buddy can get over by my place to knock that stuff out soon. Should only be a days worth of work to get it all finished up. Then I can spend a day or two terminating and checking everything.

Anyway, enough about whats left lets see what is done....DRYWALL!!!

First piece in!

Front wall all done. Still need to do the low voltage rings for all of the speaker and sub connections

Not very exciting, but here is where we pulled the new cable connection into the house.

Now we can do a bit of before and after

Switch box at the bottom of the stairs

Access hole outside of the main equipment closet

Ceiling area in main closet

Here is the panel before I installed it

And done!

The back wall of the closet. I cut out more than was needed to replace damaged drywall

And last up, the right side wall of the closet

I had a couple other small patches, but I figured this is enough boring stuff for one post. I know drywall work is not very exciting, MESSY, but not very exciting. I am glad to have it at least this much done now. I am probably going to outsource the ceiling, and all of the mudding. I am going to call around and see what that would cost, and make a decision from there.

I should be getting some of the materials to finish up ceiling this weekend as well. Nothing too exciting there, just some flex duct and insulation. As I said I am mostly waiting on my buddy to come finish up that last bit of electrical work so I can close everything up.

Thats all for now, thanks for following along!

Sean
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Well its been a while, so I may as well update Unfortunately not a whole lot has happened, but I am almost to the point where it will start going quick again. I got my buddy to come over last weekend to knock out some of the electrical, but nothing in the main room. We did however come up with the game plan for the last couple of things.

As you can see, three of the walls (rear, left, and front) all have a bit of a ledge where there is a concrete wall below grade. I decided to get rid of that ledge on the back wall since it was only about 3" wide anyway. Also that will allow me to route the wiring to rear speakers much better as the existing wall was directly under the joist. I also decided to add a sub connection in the left rear corner of the wall so I can have the two subs in opposite corners. Since we already added the two outlets on their own circuit for the subs on the front wall, we will just carry that over to a new outlet in the back corner. That does mean opening up the wall to run the piping and also the sub coax cable.

Lets get to the pics

First up, I decided to layout the proposed dimensions for the bar. The wife thought it would be way to big, but when I taped it out she liked it. We also put some boxes on the outer corner for a few weeks to get an idea of having to walk around it, and there was no issues.

Next up was the demo (again)! I really hope this is the end of tearing stuff down!

Back wall all opened up

And the side wall

I ended up removing that piece of drywall between the column and the bar. I still need to cut out a little bit more for the bar and the rear wall. I was always going to run some wiring to the bar, so some of this mess was always planned. Now we need to decide what we want to do with that ledge on the remaining two walls. We are thinking of some kind of stone or tile, either of which will mean pulling off the drywall

I should start building the rear wall and the bar next weekend. I did not have time to go get wood this weekend since I have to travel for work. I need to pull the wire for the rear sub, and we still need to run the outlet for the screen and then everything can get closed up!!!

While we are here though, I actually have a question for all of you guys. I am planning on running the EMPTek speakers, including the R55Wi on wall surround speakers on the sidewalls. Here is a picture of the back of those speakers.

My question is, do I need a hole in the wall for the speaker wire to have some room? I cant see how there is enough room for connectors and be flat against the wall any other way. If that is the case it poses a bit of a problem for me since my right side wall is actually a return for my HVAC. I may have to build out a box of some kind, or make some kind of bracket. Lets see how you guys have dealt with this, and/or any suggestions.

That's all for now, thanks as always for following along with the slowest, most boring build EVER!

Sean
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Lookin good keep up the hard work!

As for you speaker issue I have similar speakers on my back wall for the back surrounds. Mine are DefTechs but same type of style. I do have a hole where the speaker wire comes out so the speakers do lay flat and it wasn't an issue for me. I'm not sure I'm understanding your issue 100% I don't think. Were you going to have the speaker wire run up the wall instead of behind the drywall? If that's the case then you may have a bit of an issue with the speaker resting on the speaker wire. It may not be that big of an issue but your speaker wouldn't be totally flat to the wall. You would have to have the wire come from behind the wall in order for it to lay flat. Will the drywall be totally flat on the HAVC? You wouldn't need a ton or room in between the drywall and your vents to fit some wire into. Or like you say you can build out a small shallow box for your speaker to mount to that would house the excess wire and allow the speaker to lay flat on the drywall.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com