1Likes
  • 1 Post By dreamer
post #1 of 6 Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Critique my System

Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am going to be pulling the trigger on an almost entire new HT setup, and wanted to get the opinions of the folks here.

First off, this will be in my living room with an open design into the kitchen, the living room being roughly 25' wide by 20' deep, with a breakfast bar separating the living room from the kitchen. Viewing distance from the TV is roughly 15'. It will be split pretty evenly for watching tv/movies/Netflix, gaming on my existing XB1, and listening to music. I currently plan on utilizing the XB1 as a Blu-Ray player as well. The components for the system are as follows:

TV- Vizio M702i-B3 70"
A/V Receiver Denon AVR-X110W

Speakers- Pioneer Andrew Jones Series
  • Front Towers
  • Center
  • Bookshelf Rears (on platforms)
Sub- BIC F12

My budget is $3k. I would love to hear some input and thoughts on this setup! I am currently running a Panasonic Viera 50" plasma, which I have been very happy with for the past 6+ years, and a cheap(ish) Sony HTIAB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As far as your main speakers, that's entirely up to what "you" like the sound of.
The only thing I'd say for sure is get a better Sub, presumably I'd get two, you have to remember you're needing to pressurize the entire open space, not just the theatre area.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
As far as your main speakers, that's entirely up to what "you" like the sound of.
The only thing I'd say for sure is get a better Sub, presumably I'd get two, you have to remember you're needing to pressurize the entire open space, not just the theatre area.
Thanks for the input Alt! Are there any subs that you would recommend in the price range of the BIC? That was surprising, most everything I have read says that the F12 is heads and shoulders above most everything even up to twice the price of it. Could I run 2 with a 5.1 receiver?
post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjager44 View Post
Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am going to be pulling the trigger on an almost entire new HT setup, and wanted to get the opinions of the folks here.

First off, this will be in my living room with an open design into the kitchen, the living room being roughly 25' wide by 20' deep, with a breakfast bar separating the living room from the kitchen. Viewing distance from the TV is roughly 15'. It will be split pretty evenly for watching tv/movies/Netflix, gaming on my existing XB1, and listening to music. I currently plan on utilizing the XB1 as a Blu-Ray player as well. The components for the system are as follows:

TV- Vizio M702i-B3 70"
A/V Receiver Denon AVR-X110W

Speakers- Pioneer Andrew Jones Series
  • Front Towers
  • Center
  • Bookshelf Rears (on platforms)
Sub- BIC F12

My budget is $3k. I would love to hear some input and thoughts on this setup! I am currently running a Panasonic Viera 50" plasma, which I have been very happy with for the past 6+ years, and a cheap(ish) Sony HTIAB.
My first reaction is that a 70" image is way too small for 15' seating and for that size room. In no way could that be considered an "HT" experience. For <$1000, a Benq W1070 projector and a 135" or larger screen would be more appropriate. As long as you don't need to watch with direct sunlight streaming in and every light in the room full blast, it will be plenty bright for that size screen.
Boomassiv likes this.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjager44 View Post
Thanks for the input Alt! Are there any subs that you would recommend in the price range of the BIC? That was surprising, most everything I have read says that the F12 is heads and shoulders above most everything even up to twice the price of it. Could I run 2 with a 5.1 receiver?
Don't get me wrong, it does get good reviews for the price, and yes, budget concerns are budget concerns, if they weren't we'd all have $100k theatre's, I'm just afraid it's not enough Sub for your space.
Yes you can absolutely run two with a 5.1, just use a simple Y connector out of your receiver.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Agreed on the w1070....but the 70" inside 12' wouldn't be terrible by any means. The F12 is ok for budget sub but I preferred the Dayton sub line at an even better price ($ to performance). And better yet DIY which I have since moved to kills for the value. Personally I would spend my money on transducers for a open rom layout. Trying to get pressure in a open layout like that is a lost cause on a budget especially. Do you have any ideas on layout and seating arrangement? You can get 8 Aura transducers and and push them off decent 2 channel amp for cheap. Back to the TV. I personally have a 60" and sit about 13' back. It is ok but I believe with 70" if you got inside 13' you would be very happy. That also leaves more room for other stuff at the bar, subs in back of room (which should work with transducers) and other items as needed.

Sorry if no help.........little tipsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page