I was able to get some work done in the basement this weekend and as the title says one thing lead to another.
The plan was to build and install as much soffit as I could around the HVAC lines through the middle of the space.
Pretty basic construction of a ladder type soffit 32 feet long with 9.5" verticals on 24" centers
The 9.5" is important to me as this brings me down low enough to have a 2x4 on its side stretch from the bottom on the beam to the top of the horizontal bottom 2x4 of the soffit.
This provides the 2" (when dry walled) relief I need for the drop ceiling that will go between the to soffits and allow access to above where my main run of speaker wires will be.
Here is a picture of the board laid out side by side. I like it this way for easy measuring of the two boards at one time
Note the stack of blocking on the TV tray.... I love my chop saw, best tool ever for repeat cuts
Close up two boards side by side
So why wood verses the metal light wait sofit.... couple reasons
1) I had it from tearing down a couple walls the previous owner attempted to build (I like free)
2) When installing the drop ceiling I use a brad nailer..... that doesn't work very good through steel
3) Strong like bull... With 2x4 and 3" screws this think at going any where
What was terrible about it was the warps and twists that I had to deal with, I just kept saying free is free!
So once the first 32ft was built it was time to install. To do that I needed to add some cross bracing between the wall 2x4's for added support and to plumb it up at the ends.
Some areas had drywall just screwed on so down came about 6 sheets
Then on to opening up the exiting vapor barrier, removing the insulation and install...... but wait the builders had installed vapor barrier against the concrete also.
Now I new this from last spring and the reno of the bedroom down stairs, but still a pain.
You see last spring I notice water against the foundation, immediate thought was a crack or hole.... So I started pulling back the vapor barrier, luckily the walls were not finished yet.
As I pull I heard the ripping of insulation.... it was frozen to the vapor barrier!!! The water on the floor was melting ice.
This is a result of hot meeting cold, condensation and no breathing. I researched this extensively and talked to a couple contractors.
Everyone's recommendation was to remove it. This spring no problem in the spots that I had fixed.
So while I am in these section of wall already let remove some more vapor barrier.....
At the one end as I am pulling down insulation around the beam I came across another discovery..... A significant pocket where the beam rests and a nice breeze coming in.
I can't leave it like that, so I prep to spray foam with a can of low expansion foam that I have for my windows.......(oh right the windows)
Well since I have the spray foam already out and don't want to wastes a half a can buy doing the windows later
Lets prep the windows by pulling out all the old bat insulation and clean it up.
Ok so now the windows are done and the beam is sealed... back to the soffit...... well not quite yet.
While its open I also extended some electrical..... OK now back to the soffit.
When installing the soffit I realized that the air return ducts (plastic) stuck down to far and would not compress with the torque of the screws, so I had to cut away those parts.... ugh never ends
Unfortunately that mean just getting the one side up. I have about 20 ft of the other side build but not up yet.
It is not fully screwed in place, I will wait till I do the cross bracing and make sure is plumb first
Here's what it looks like to date