Family Cave Theater - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
@granroth and @kmhvball or any other that may know.....
I think I may have been (still am) confused.... I have been going over the manual for the Harmony Companion and think that I have erred in my presumption that many of the devices like the projector would be controlled via Ethernet/wifi/network..... it is starting to look like IR or Bluetooth from the hub are the primary ways.
That said there literature also mentions that "Harmony will first try to detect some of your connected devices such as Sonos, Roku and Philips hue." so maybe there is hope????
But then I find this support article that only refers to the Roku for WiFi.....

Confused...

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
granroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
@granroth and @kmhvball or any other that may know.....
I think I may have been (still am) confused.... I have been going over the manual for the Harmony Companion and think that I have erred in my presumption that many of the devices like the projector would be controlled via Ethernet/wifi/network..... it is starting to look like IR or Bluetooth from the hub are the primary ways.
That said there literature also mentions that "Harmony will first try to detect some of your connected devices such as Sonos, Roku and Philips hue." so maybe there is hope????
But then I find this support article that only refers to the Roku for WiFi.....
Any modern device that can be controlled over a network (via an app or similar) will almost surely be controllable via the same network interface using the Harmony Hub (with either the Companion or Elite remote). My very slightly older Denon AVR isn't a featured device by any stretch of the imagination but it worked out of the box after I plugged it into my network via its ethernet port.

I realize that I don't know what projector you'll be using. I saw one reference to an Epson 5030 but I don't believe that that's controllable via the network at all (no app, for instance) so it would need to be controlled via IR by any remote.

I think that's the key. If you have an app that can control your device, then more than likely it'll be supported like that by the Harmony.
granroth is offline  
post #753 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kmhvball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mason, Ohio
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I agree, I am positive the Harmony Elite will work at least some devices via WIFI, so, it isn't limited to Bluetooth/ IR. My very brief look at the Companion, seemed like it has similar capabilities... it mentions working blinds, checking if lights are on/off, etc.... which would all be WiFi based.

In terms of the projector, I have a JVC RSDLA-4910, which has a "network connection", but thus far, I haven't been able to figure out how to control it via the internet connection. The best I can tell, is that connection isn't for 'control', but for other purposes... such as doing calibration, etc. Net, just because a device has an ethernet/ wifi connection, doesn't always mean it can be controlled via wifi.
kmhvball is offline  
 
post #754 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kmhvball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mason, Ohio
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Good to know Kevin as I am on a mission to have Insteon in my house, 6 dimmer switches so far...... no controller yet .... any suggestion and insight are always welcome
My Insteon is limited to 4 switches in my theater at the moment, and I do have the "Insteon Hub". I bought one of those little 8 button remotes, which worked fine... but when I got my Harmony Elite, I just set that up to control my lights as well so don't really use my 8 button remote any longer. You can assign four of the hard buttons on the Harmony Elite to home control devices, such as Insteon... so, that is what I have done and seldom will ever go directly to the lights to control them directly.

I don't have much more insight since I am using it very simplistically right now. I will likely get a 5th switch, so I can add my step lights into the mix, but haven't done that yet.
kmhvball is offline  
post #755 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Any modern device that can be controlled over a network (via an app or similar) will almost surely be controllable via the same network interface using the Harmony Hub (with either the Companion or Elite remote). My very slightly older Denon AVR isn't a featured device by any stretch of the imagination but it worked out of the box after I plugged it into my network via its ethernet port.

I realize that I don't know what projector you'll be using. I saw one reference to an Epson 5030 but I don't believe that that's controllable via the network at all (no app, for instance) so it would need to be controlled via IR by any remote.

I think that's the key. If you have an app that can control your device, then more than likely it'll be supported like that by the Harmony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I agree, I am positive the Harmony Elite will work at least some devices via WIFI, so, it isn't limited to Bluetooth/ IR. My very brief look at the Companion, seemed like it has similar capabilities... it mentions working blinds, checking if lights are on/off, etc.... which would all be WiFi based.

In terms of the projector, I have a JVC RSDLA-4910, which has a "network connection", but thus far, I haven't been able to figure out how to control it via the internet connection. The best I can tell, is that connection isn't for 'control', but for other purposes... such as doing calibration, etc. Net, just because a device has an ethernet/ wifi connection, doesn't always mean it can be controlled via wifi.
I'm very embarrassed ergo the double facepalm


Yes I have the Epson 5030 (loving it by the way).... had to go look....no Ethernet connection....UGH.... not sure what I was imagining

I do have a cat5&6 cable up there that I will have to re purpose one of for IR repeater

Ok great the Marantz has an app (haven't tried it yet) so that should be covered.

The other primary controlled device will be the HTPC with OpenPHT (for now).... granroth you mentioned that you are controlling your HTPC with Kodi over LAN so it is do able..... was it just a selection in the device lists? Also in your thread you mentioned a bluetooth adapter and many difficulties with openelec / Ubuntu ..... I'm running Windows 10

Trying to make as informed of a decision before buying this.... liking what I am hearing so far

Thanks for putting up with the questions

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #756 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
My Insteon is limited to 4 switches in my theater at the moment, and I do have the "Insteon Hub". I bought one of those little 8 button remotes, which worked fine... but when I got my Harmony Elite, I just set that up to control my lights as well so don't really use my 8 button remote any longer. You can assign four of the hard buttons on the Harmony Elite to home control devices, such as Insteon... so, that is what I have done and seldom will ever go directly to the lights to control them directly.

I don't have much more insight since I am using it very simplistically right now. I will likely get a 5th switch, so I can add my step lights into the mix, but haven't done that yet.
Thanks Kevin!

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #757 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Good news I passed my rough in electrical inspection...... I wasn't overly concerned about it but its nice to have another think checked off
Nice thing is he gave me some kudos on my planning and installation.


Next up rough in building inspection.... then I can start dry walling the walls..... and everything else......
OH Man I got a lot to do
Waterboy - so you did all your electrical yourself with a homeowner permit. I'm a fellow Calgarian in the rough framing section and I'm following your post closely. I'll try to get my own thread off the ground at some point. Right now I'm roughing in my framing and am at the should I pull my permits for electrical and plumbing and do it myself or get someone in. I think I'm having difficulty with the blank page infront of me on those aspects.
ordinarybanter is offline  
post #758 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinarybanter View Post
Waterboy - so you did all your electrical yourself with a homeowner permit. I'm a fellow Calgarian in the rough framing section and I'm following your post closely. I'll try to get my own thread off the ground at some point. Right now I'm roughing in my framing and am at the should I pull my permits for electrical and plumbing and do it myself or get someone in. I think I'm having difficulty with the blank page infront of me on those aspects.
Hey ordinarybanter, thanks for checking out my thread.
I did do all my electrical myself, I have a couple of times on my own renos. Doing electrical and plumbing yourself can save a lot of money BUT you need to feel very confident that it will be by code or better. I personally feel electrical is easy.... but I know most of the rules and codes (the code changes yearly it seams) ... what I don't know I find out from the experts.
Plumbing.... well.... fortunately I didn't have any on this reno. Depending on what you have planned would determine my personal comfort level....

"technically" permits (building, electrical, plumbing) should be pulled prior to any work being done..... given that they only last a year sometimes people get a "little" done before they pull them though
Just be confident that the plans that you submit will be approved my the permit police

If you don't feel confident then hire.... remember electricity could equal fire and plumbing could equal flood. I'm not trying to scare you, I've just heard and seen some scary things that should never have been done

Hope that helps.... and let me know when you start a build thread

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #759 of 982 Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
granroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
The other primary controlled device will be the HTPC with OpenPHT (for now).... granroth you mentioned that you are controlling your HTPC with Kodi over LAN so it is do able..... was it just a selection in the device lists? Also in your thread you mentioned a bluetooth adapter and many difficulties with openelec / Ubuntu ..... I'm running Windows 10
The tricky part for DIY HTPCs is to find the proper Manufacturer and Model. In my case, I needed to choose 'Apple' as the manufacturer (for no particular reason) and then Kodi. That's because the control of the HT software is going to be dictated by what the overriding OS is providing.

I say that because if I had chosen 'Microsoft' as the manufacturer, then it would assume I would control Kodi via IR. But since all Macs have bluetooth built in, it just defaulted to assuming that.

That's likely what you might end up doing for OpenPHT. Your HTPC will either have bluetooth built in or you will get a USB adapter. Harmony then pairs with the bluetooth system of your OS and pretends to be a keyboard. The magic happens when the remote's keyboard is automatically mapped to the right keyboard shortcuts so that when you press Play, it will send the keyboard shortcut to start the movie (maybe Space or P or something).

I did mention earlier that I was controlling Kodi over LAN but I was mis-remembering. It's actually controlled via bluetooth with the keyboard pairing that I describe above.

Absolute worst case is that you'd need to get a Flirc adapter to control it via IR. That is guaranteed to work.
granroth is offline  
post #760 of 982 Old 10-05-2016, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Thanks @granroth its a shame that it doesn't work via LAN but I guess it makes sense as it is emulating a keyboard that have standard functions and there would be a lot more "code" needed to communicate via LAN

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #761 of 982 Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Showed off the system again last night ..... really need to get a demo disk..... got some "great job" comments which are always appreciated


One thing I noticed as I was playing the first helicopter scene in San Andreas as I was standing about 5ft behind MLP..... never really stood there and listened before
My surrounds sounded wicked awesome back there..... goose bump hair raising awesome..... better than MLP
I want to try it again when I can sit in MLP then stand back to try a comparison


I wonder if....
1) my chairs are dampening the surrounds more than they should
2) as I was further away from the LCR's that the surrounds just stood out more
3) my angles are not optimal to MLP


Thoughts?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #762 of 982 Old 10-06-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 10,145
Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
Not sure about your angles. I point all my speakers towards MLP and that works. You might try just bumping the surrounds a couple dB for each channel and see if you like that more in the MLP.
Archaea is offline  
post #763 of 982 Old 10-06-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not sure about your angles. I point all my speakers towards MLP and that works. You might try just bumping the surrounds a couple dB for each channel and see if you like that more in the MLP.
Hey Archaea,
I think the angles are pretty comparable to Dolby recommendations... sides are about 100 degrees. (behind me)
They are all rotated to MLP.... I would have to double check height above ear.
Depending on height above ear I was also wondering about angling down..... but the volts have a very wide dispersion...


Good suggestion on the bump.... I will try that out after I compare

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #764 of 982 Old 10-06-2016, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 10,145
Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
You might get a kick out of these blind speaker meet results.

We compared the DIYSG Volt 10, the Mackie C200, the JBL LSR305, and the QSC K10 tonight in a blind mini meet.

Blind Audition - JBL LSR 305 vs. Mackie C200 vs. QSC K10 vs. DIYSG Volt 8
Waterboy77 likes this.
Archaea is offline  
post #765 of 982 Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You might get a kick out of these blind speaker meet results.

We compared the DIYSG Volt 10, the Mackie C200, the JBL LSR305, and the QSC K10 tonight in a blind mini meet.

Blind Audition - JBL LSR 305 vs. Mackie C200 vs. QSC K10 vs. DIYSG Volt 8

LOL I did get a kick out of those results...... love it when the Mackies do good!
One day I would like to host or attend a blind test...... not that I really know what I am talking about or what to listen for... but it would be fun

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #766 of 982 Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians.... don't OD on turkey.... like I'm going to

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #767 of 982 Old 10-08-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
granroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians.... don't OD on turkey.... like I'm going to
Huh... it never occurred to me that Canadian Thanksgiving would also feature turkey as the traditional centerpiece. I'm not sure what I would expect... probably something slathered with maple syrup and with a side of poutine!
granroth is offline  
post #768 of 982 Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Huh... it never occurred to me that Canadian Thanksgiving would also feature turkey as the traditional centerpiece. I'm not sure what I would expect... probably something slathered with maple syrup and with a side of poutine!
Yup lots do, we had 19 people in out house yesterday for turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce..... and a bunch of green things that I think they call vegetables...... I usually just seek those to my pet beaver

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #769 of 982 Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I have something flaky going on when powering up the system.....
It has to be powered up in a very specific order it seams.....never really understood why that is but I guess I am more accustomed to electricity rather than signals and "handshaking"

If I go HTPC..... Marantz.... then Epson, I have a pretty good success rate.....stray from that not so good.

But now I am noticing if I close OpenPHT to go to Foobar for music I loose sound and signal (I will try to get pictures of what I mean)

And lord forbid I try to change to the PS3 (haven't tried satellite yet) when everything is already on..... no signal.... this is a pain as I have to turn everything off and then back on.
The PS3 may or may not work its far more flaky

"HANDSHAKE".... I got gear doing high fives and fist bumps.....

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #770 of 982 Old 10-10-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
So I pulled the trigger on the companion remote..... nice part is I remembered I had several gift cards from over the years..... no money out of pocket


Keyboard Logiteck K400 wireless.... it was on sale ($20 off) I wanted one for local control of the HTPC and was hoping that I could also use the USB receiver for the hub....
Light weight and compact unit but not to the point of awkward to type on. I don't really like touch pads but I will get used to it.....In general I like it and it works well from MLP

Companion Remote looks like a good fit for my use and with the app I get a sense for the app based application and if irule might work for me.....
Remote is comfortable in the hand and buttons seam well placed.... need more time on it to figure out what all the buttons are.....

Marantz 7010 auto recognized like a dream
Epson 5030UB manually added very easy

Now if I can only get these set up.....
PS3...For some reason the bluetooth will not pair between the PS3 and the hub...trying to find information on Logitech's web site is not the most user friendly....

HTPC / OpenHTP.... this is the primary reason for the remote....
The instructions seam straight forward enough.... manufacture Windows... mode Plex... but I think my hopes of using the keyboard USB wireless dongle (THOUGHTS?) has me stopped in my tracks till I either get a Flickr or Bluetooth dongle .... @granroth went bluetooth for his but with the PS3 not pairing at the moment I am reluctant... for now.
Hope to try to work with it again today..... any thoughts / recommendations welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161009_161339.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1775689  

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions

Last edited by Waterboy77; 11-17-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #771 of 982 Old 10-11-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Fattykidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Yup lots do, we had 19 people in out house yesterday for turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce..... and a bunch of green things that I think they call vegetables...... I usually just seek those to my pet beaver
We went out for donairs and shawarma... Was delicious. You feed your beaver veggies? I try to keep mine on a strict sausage diet..lol
Waterboy77 likes this.
Fattykidd is offline  
post #772 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
On Sunday I was able to get the PS3 paired with the Harmony..... this took a few steps.... at the time frustrating.... in retrospect probably needed to be done in the first place...

Did some Googling on PS3 pairing with Harmony.... a little info out there.... still don't really like Logitechs website....
I needed to create an account. This was a bit of a pain as it did not recognize username and pw, when I went to log in....even after an email confirmation I still had to do the account set up again.... that's just poor
Downloaded the PC program for the hub configuration..... looks like it might have even more configurable settings than the app.... might be needed for the HTPC
It found my Hub on the network and right away told me that an update was needed..... I think this was the key item that the app did not pick up on
Added the PS3 as a device and hit SYNC
Few more button presses and now a control able PS3 and activity.

So its looking like setup on the Harmony is not entirely straight forward and requires the app and the software to configure

Hope the HTPC goes ok....need to get a Bluetooth dongle

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #773 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 163
What are you going to use as your media player on your htpc?
JDontee is offline  
post #774 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
What are you going to use as your media player on your htpc?
At the moment I have Plex server and OpenPHT installed..... liking it so far
I have a small glitch that happens every once and a while but I think that's because I am duplicating screen from my video card and the computer monitor is an old 4:3 I had kicking around


What are you using?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #775 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I use Kodi. I like the UI for the movies, and for my TV Shows, I use a plex server plus PleXMBC, which is an addon for Kodi. I use the Harmony remote for my theater, and with the HP USB remote I mentioned earlier, I can control all the media including the ability to remap buttons using the MCERemote addon through Kodi. I have Kodi launch with a shortcut key, which is mapped to that USB remote, which is controlled by the Harmony. It may sound complicated but it really isn't. That's my experience and I'm very happy with it. I extend my desktop instead of duplicate, which doesn't seem to cause any issues with resolution.

Oh, and I use the MadVR version of Kodi that uses DSPlayer as the default media player. That video renderer is awesome, but it can be a GPU hog, so you need a decent card if you want to use it. I have a GTX 750 ti, which is decent, but you can get much more for your money today compared to when I bought it.
JDontee is offline  
post #776 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I use Kodi. I like the UI for the movies, and for my TV Shows, I use a plex server plus PleXMBC, which is an addon for Kodi. I use the Harmony remote for my theater, and with the HP USB remote I mentioned earlier, I can control all the media including the ability to remap buttons using the MCERemote addon through Kodi. I have Kodi launch with a shortcut key, which is mapped to that USB remote, which is controlled by the Harmony. It may sound complicated but it really isn't. That's my experience and I'm very happy with it. I extend my desktop instead of duplicate, which doesn't seem to cause any issues with resolution.

Oh, and I use the MadVR version of Kodi that uses DSPlayer as the default media player. That video renderer is awesome, but it can be a GPU hog, so you need a decent card if you want to use it. I have a GTX 750 ti, which is decent, but you can get much more for your money today compared to when I bought it.
Good to know JDontee, my thought was to dip my toes with Plex and then in the future try out others like Kodi.
Yes mapping is going to be interesting.... but I need to get a handle on the different keyboard commands and functions.
I tried extend but sometimes I only have the monitor on and as a result I cannot see the other half.... I am thinking of changing to use output 1&2 on the Marantz. #1 to a small set up display and #2 to Espon projector.... for some reason the Epson does not like output #1 ...

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #777 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Are you using Plex Home Theater or the Plex App?
JDontee is offline  
post #778 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Are you using Plex Home Theater or the Plex App?
Plex Home Theater was abandoned by Plex and replaced with Plex Media Player (must have plex pass to get )
OpenPHT (what I am using) is community driven fork of Plex Home Theater

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
post #779 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Are you sure? It's still available for download through their site. It works on my machine. I never use it because I prefer Kodi. I had them both at one time to see which one I liked more. I settled on Kodi because I could customize so much. For example, I can launch directly into Hyperspin as my arcade emulator from Kodi, play an old school arcade game, exit, and be taken right back to Kodi. Also, I'm considering a HDHomerun for TV, especially since the picture looks so good with MadVR.
JDontee is offline  
post #780 of 982 Old 10-12-2016, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Waterboy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,442
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Are you sure? It's still available for download through their site. It works on my machine. I never use it because I prefer Kodi. I had them both at one time to see which one I liked more. I settled on Kodi because I could customize so much. For example, I can launch directly into Hyperspin as my arcade emulator from Kodi, play an old school arcade game, exit, and be taken right back to Kodi. Also, I'm considering a HDHomerun for TV, especially since the picture looks so good with MadVR.
Pretty sure.... -Why-Plex-Media-Player-instead-of-continuing-with-Plex-Home-Theater-
Don't get me wrong I have not settled on OpenPHT.... just wanted to get into some thing relatively "easy" to start with and OpenPHT was just that.... within a few minutes I was watching my first movie with it.

In the future I will revisit the different players and have a better feel for what I want in a player. I don't know a lot about all the different add-ons for Kodi..... it looks like there are many. Customization is one thing that I am really interested in. Kodi has always intrigued me especially with all the add-ons and options.... but does it become to much???

So many options.... so little time...

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Waterboy77 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off