Family Cave Theater - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #961 of 982 Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Posted over in an old HTPC thread I had started......
Mass Media storage...... I'm running out of room!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thought AI would bring this thread back from the dead...... update on what I am currently doing and where I want to go....

Current Hardware:
Upcycled PC with SSD for programs and OS, 2x4TB drives for data, upgraded video card
Installed in rack with a DIY monitor/keyboard tray (not pretty but it work for when I need it)

Current Software:
Windows 7 ------------ meh it's microsoft
Plex Server ------------ Works great and easy
OpenPHT -------------- Might be giving me any issue going to try Plex media Player soon as it is now released with out Plex pass
Rew -------------------- Learning but has really helped tune in my system
inuke DSP software --- Works for what I need it to do on the two nukes

Ripping with MakeMKV and metadata with MediaElch on office computer (both are great)

So far this has been working pretty good for me.... one exception being on occasion I get a no HDMI detection on the Projector..... I think it is a possible Marantz or OpenPHT issue.... still trying to sort that out but that's a different topic
I like the one centralized unit in my rack with all the "theater" related software running on it.

What I have run into now though is the 8TB is almost full..... need more space.... still have a bunch to rip.... I think in the "end" I will be in the 20Tb range of data hoarding

Time to upgrade.... here is what I am thinking:
Desires:
Room to grow on an overtime basis.... not buy everything all at once (ie HDD)
Localized windows machine like I currently have for other software
Possibly go headless (need to figure out a good way of accessing)
Easy to set up and use
Able to use different size drives as costs per Tb change
Affordable.... I'm willing to spend some but don't want to go overboard

Hardware:
reuse existing motherboard, SSD, video card (although I got another one that I want to compare specs to existing)
New case.... thinking this one Norco RPC-4308 4U lots of bays for expantion (this is what is currenty limiting me in existing case... and sata ports)
New Sata Card like this
reuse 2x4TB drives and add a couple....

Software:
I want to keep what I have above and its functionality as a local machine
Add Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner
Add SNAPRAID ????..... this is where things start to get squirrely for me

From what I have read snapraid has some great features but it comes down to the whole discussion on data loss and drive failure.
There are other options out there also FreeNAS, UnRaid.... etc. but like anything they all come with pro's and con's

Any thought are always welcome

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 982 Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just built an HTPC using an old PC I've recycled. It's an AMD B95 @3.0ghz an ATI 6870 card, 8gb of generic RAM, a 240gb SSD for the OS, and 17tb of storage for the movies. So far, the best things I've done are the SSD and the Windows 10 upgrade. It's smooth as glass now and works like a champ. Also, it's dead silent and it's running on air not water. Just put in a 120mm Coolermaster CPU cooler.

Your theatre looks awesome!!! Congrats from all the way up in Edmonton.
Oh, and if you're thinking of upgrading to an Atmos receiver, Gibby's Electronics has the Marantz 6008 for CHEAP!! Google it.
post #963 of 982 Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto122 View Post
I just built an HTPC using an old PC I've recycled. It's an AMD B95 @3.0ghz an ATI 6870 card, 8gb of generic RAM, a 240gb SSD for the OS, and 17tb of storage for the movies. So far, the best things I've done are the SSD and the Windows 10 upgrade. It's smooth as glass now and works like a champ. Also, it's dead silent and it's running on air not water. Just put in a 120mm Coolermaster CPU cooler.

Your theatre looks awesome!!! Congrats from all the way up in Edmonton.
Oh, and if you're thinking of upgrading to an Atmos receiver, Gibby's Electronics has the Marantz 6008 for CHEAP!! Google it.
Thanks Toronto...... jeezzz a username of toronto and from Edmonton OUCH... jk
I will be going Atmos in the future with my Marantz 7010...... if it doesn't keep annoying me

How are you handling the 17Tb of HDD? Just plugged in? Pooling? Raid?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater

post #964 of 982 Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I have around 24tb of available space, around 18-19 tbs of files. I have a 250gb SSD for my operating system as well, then 5 hdds. I haven't pooled my drives or anything, so it is I think called something like JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Drives). I use Plex as my media server, so, I can just 'point' Plex to the different drives.

I keep a full back up on external HDDs of all my data. My non-media files I also back up to the cloud in addition to a local external HDD. I figured since I have a full copy of all my data that I didn't need to do a RAID configuration. I had a Flexraid configuration for a short while, and accidentally deleted a fair number of files, and couldn't figure out how to restore them. I am pretty sure it was user error and not system error, but not 100% sure. At the time, I didn't have a full back up on all my external HDDs, so, I just re-ripped my movies and decided to just keep the full back up at a different location (in case of a fire, etc.). I thought if I had a disaster of some type at my home, with my physical media, and a computer RAID back up potentially destroyed, then everything would be gone vs having the External HDDs stored elsewhere.

My computer is 95%+ used as a dedicated media server though. We have a laptop we use for most of our personal home computing.
post #965 of 982 Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have around 24tb of available space, around 18-19 tbs of files. I have a 250gb SSD for my operating system as well, then 5 hdds. I haven't pooled my drives or anything, so it is I think called something like JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Drives). I use Plex as my media server, so, I can just 'point' Plex to the different drives.

I keep a full back up on external HDDs of all my data. My non-media files I also back up to the cloud in addition to a local external HDD. I figured since I have a full copy of all my data that I didn't need to do a RAID configuration. I had a Flexraid configuration for a short while, and accidentally deleted a fair number of files, and couldn't figure out how to restore them. I am pretty sure it was user error and not system error, but not 100% sure. At the time, I didn't have a full back up on all my external HDDs, so, I just re-ripped my movies and decided to just keep the full back up at a different location (in case of a fire, etc.). I thought if I had a disaster of some type at my home, with my physical media, and a computer RAID back up potentially destroyed, then everything would be gone vs having the External HDDs stored elsewhere.

My computer is 95%+ used as a dedicated media server though. We have a laptop we use for most of our personal home computing.

Thanks Kevin
Full back up of all data.....including movies??? That is an investment in HDD.
How do you find the JBOD? I have thought about it from a pure easy standpoint but obviously it has not drive failure built in..... but you have that covered with a onene copy.

Family Cave Theater
post #966 of 982 Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Thanks Kevin
Full back up of all data.....including movies??? That is an investment in HDD.
How do you find the JBOD? I have thought about it from a pure easy standpoint but obviously it has not drive failure built in..... but you have that covered with a onene copy.
When I run out of drive space, I end up buying two HDDs... an external HDD for my back up copy, and then the internal HDD that I put in my computer. I started with 4TB drives, then 5tb, now a 6tb... since it takes awhile to fill up, by the time I need the next one a larger HDD has been available. Most of what I read about RAID set ups, is you still wanted a full back up, since if you have a disaster in your home/on your computer, the entire system could be destroyed. I guess if you keep your media/blurays outside your home, then you wouldn't really need a back up since if your system totally crashed, you could just re-rip. I figured though, I would rather buy a $129 6TB HDD at Coscto than go through the hassle of re ripping all my media.

I am not sure what you mean by how do you find JBOD. I bought a large Computer Case which can house a good amount of HDDs. When I add a new HDD, I just add it through Disk Manager and it just shows up as another drive letter. Net, if you go to File Explorer it shows that I have 6 different drive letters, so, I have JBOD. I then 'name' my drives something that I can recognize the kind of movies/media I have on it. I use Plex, and for my "Blu Ray Grown Up" Plex icon, I can 'add' different drive locations-folders to look in... so d:/bluray grownup/ and i:/bluray grownup, etc., and then when I look at it on Plex, it all simply looks like one folder.

When I used FlexRaid, it did allow a 'pooling' of drives into a single drive letter. You can even just use that feature and not the whole FlexRaid set up, but probably user error again, occasionally when I would reboot, the system wouldn't 'map' the drive letter the same, and I would have to go in and reset it up. Given how I am using my system, I didn't see a big benefit of pooling the drives to look like a single drive.
post #967 of 982 Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I run out of drive space, I end up buying two HDDs... an external HDD for my back up copy, and then the internal HDD that I put in my computer. I started with 4TB drives, then 5tb, now a 6tb... since it takes awhile to fill up, by the time I need the next one a larger HDD has been available. Most of what I read about RAID set ups, is you still wanted a full back up, since if you have a disaster in your home/on your computer, the entire system could be destroyed. I guess if you keep your media/blurays outside your home, then you wouldn't really need a back up since if your system totally crashed, you could just re-rip. I figured though, I would rather buy a $129 6TB HDD at Coscto than go through the hassle of re ripping all my media.
I've been thinking a lot about this lately...... and I think I might be coming around to your thought process.
Backups of videos seemed like a waste of money..... but lately the time I have been taking to rip has me rethinking that also.....
Maybe just movies that I really do not want to lose.....

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by how do you find JBOD. I bought a large Computer Case which can house a good amount of HDDs. When I add a new HDD, I just add it through Disk Manager and it just shows up as another drive letter. Net, if you go to File Explorer it shows that I have 6 different drive letters, so, I have JBOD. I then 'name' my drives something that I can recognize the kind of movies/media I have on it. I use Plex, and for my "Blu Ray Grown Up" Plex icon, I can 'add' different drive locations-folders to look in... so d:/bluray grownup/ and i:/bluray grownup, etc., and then when I look at it on Plex, it all simply looks like one folder.

When I used FlexRaid, it did allow a 'pooling' of drives into a single drive letter. You can even just use that feature and not the whole FlexRaid set up, but probably user error again, occasionally when I would reboot, the system wouldn't 'map' the drive letter the same, and I would have to go in and reset it up. Given how I am using my system, I didn't see a big benefit of pooling the drives to look like a single drive.
Ya sorry the question wasn't worded very well.... but fortunately you answered what I was trying to ask in the end anyway.

Family Cave Theater
post #968 of 982 Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I started to watch The Crow last night....... couldn't finish it and I very rarely do that.... WOW what crap

On the other had I am pleasantly surprised with FX's Legion...... she's a mind bending adventure so far (6/8 episodes)
Great use of surround sound to add to the feel of voices in the head

link as I forgot how to add a video

Family Cave Theater
post #969 of 982 Old 09-25-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
I started to watch The Crow last night....... couldn't finish it and I very rarely do that.... WOW what crap

On the other had I am pleasantly surprised with FX's Legion...... she's a mind bending adventure so far (6/8 episodes)

Great use of surround sound to add to the feel of voices in the head

Trailer link as I forgot how to add a video

The Crow as in the Brandon Lee movie?

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #970 of 982 Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
The Crow as in the Brandon Lee movie?
Yup that's the one

Family Cave Theater
post #971 of 982 Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup that's the one

Does not compute... and to think I used to think you had good taste...

-Aaron
post #972 of 982 Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does not compute... and to think I used to think you had good taste...
LOL ya I wondered if I would get some grief on that comment..... maybe I was in a bad mood that day.

I prefer Bruce

Family Cave Theater
post #973 of 982 Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL ya I wondered if I would get some grief on that comment..... maybe I was in a bad mood that day.

I prefer Bruce
Haha! I was a fan of the graphic novel, and the movies version of the story when it came out... it isn't one that I watch over and over again. Had to give ya a little jab though

-Aaron
post #974 of 982 Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha! I was a fan of the graphic novel, and the movies version of the story when it came out... it isn't one that I watch over and over again. Had to give ya a little jab though
Haha ya its all good... I've been know to jab people also

I find it crazy how a memory of a movie and how awesome it was at the time only to watch it again 20+ years later and crush that memory..... almost makes me not want to rewatch some of the classics
Example Top Gun..... first time I watched it the sound blew me away.... now the sound is great but.... there are better...... progress I suppose
PTAaron likes this.

Family Cave Theater
post #975 of 982 Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha ya its all good... I've been know to jab people also

I find it crazy how a memory of a movie and how awesome it was at the time only to watch it again 20+ years later and crush that memory..... almost makes me not want to rewatch some of the classics
Example Top Gun..... first time I watched it the sound blew me away.... now the sound is great but.... there are better...... progress I suppose
My wife picked up Top Gun remastered in 3D... we haven't watched it yet, but I'm hoping it will be cool
Waterboy77 likes this.

-Aaron
post #976 of 982 Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mass media storage parts on order.....YAY.... sure adds up quick though
Still trying to decide on OS / software / configuration.....

Case NORCO RPC-4308 4U Rackmount Short Depth 15.25" 4U Rackmount Case with Eight Hot Swap Trays
Mother board SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 with Xeon quad core + 16GB ECC RAM (screeming deal from my IT guy)
Power Supply Corsair Certified RMi Series RM650i 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular Power Supply (CP-9020081-NA/RF) Refibished but a darn good price and good reviews
SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card
4x Hitachi 3Tb drives (used from my IT guy....also at a great price)... I also have 2 x 4TB drives currently full of data

Any thoughts or suggestions always welcome
PTAaron likes this.

Family Cave Theater
post #977 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like this feature on the case: "Smooth border prevent lacerating your skin"

I have nothing constructive to add to the discussion though.

-Aaron
post #978 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like this feature on the case: "Smooth border prevent lacerating your skin"

I have nothing constructive to add to the discussion though.
LOL ya I'll let you know if it works.... I have cut myself on a case in the past though LOL
Does your 6TB drive still handle your needs/wants?

Family Cave Theater
post #979 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL ya I'll let you know if it works.... I have cut myself on a case in the past though LOL
Does your 6TB drive still handle your needs/wants?

I added a 4TB... still just using USB connected external drives. I’m sure I’d be better off building something similar to what you’re doing eventually so I can keep it running all the time.

-Aaron
post #980 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I added a 4TB... still just using USB connected external drives. I’m sure I’d be better off building something similar to what you’re doing eventually so I can keep it running all the time.

There are a lot of options it seams.... which one is best/easy is where I am really struggling

Family Cave Theater
post #981 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We had a big discussion about this at the last home theater get together... I didn’t understand half of what was being discussed. Basically what I got out of it is there is a way to make things redundant so if you lose a drive you don’t lose the content - and that is a good way to go. Beyond that unhelpful tip I’m lost. LOL!

-Aaron
post #982 of 982 Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We had a big discussion about this at the last home theater get together... I didn’t understand half of what was being discussed. Basically what I got out of it is there is a way to make things redundant so if you lose a drive you don’t lose the content - and that is a good way to go. Beyond that unhelpful tip I’m lost. LOL!
I hear ya..... drive loss vs backup vs available drive space vs re-ripping vs ease of use vs cost
Many factors that are pretty much making me crazy..... my over analyzing sure doesn't help either lol

Family Cave Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page