My average joe home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmort

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My average joe home theater

I've waited a long time to be able to post my own home theater images... But we recently moved and I've been able to put together a HT that didn't break the bank and that also doubles as a general living room space.

When I want to watch a movie, I move those surround (cambridge audio minx 10) speakers into the appropriate locations. They have about twenty-five of speaker cable on them. When I did the setup for the AVR (NAD t748), I had all the speakers in the correct locations. I've got an oppo bdp-83, a belkin power station, a 46" toshiba led lcd, and LCR are JBL Northridge series, e50s on stands and the e35 in the center. The sub is a yamaha slimline sub, tucked out of the way (I'd like to upgrade the sub at some point).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-06 13-34-09.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	759841   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-06 13-34-34.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	759857  
Squirrel! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Why not leave the surrounds in place? You could route the wiring under the furniture and use a piece of Wiremold Corduct cable management to span the gap from the couch to the wall (on the far left side?)...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I could, and actually I usually do just leave the one on the left side. I could do something to get the cable permanently run, but we don't really use that area behind the sofa so the cable isn't really in the way (we only moved in about 6 weeks ago and we haven't hung our artwork yet so I don't want to do anything major with hanging speakers yet).

The right side is open to a very large foyer (this is an apartment btw) and to position the speaker there, I'd have to run it along the edges of the wall and come down on that center column. Here's a picture of the view from the left, looking to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-06 14-01-01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	759921  
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmort View Post
The right side is open to a very large foyer (this is an apartment btw) and to position the speaker there, I'd have to run it along the edges of the wall and come down on that center column. Here's a picture of the view from the left, looking to the right.
I'd just tuck the right speaker behind the right corner of the sectional and that end table, route the wire under the sectional around to the left. Adjust the speaker volume for the relatively close placement and enjoy!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmort View Post
Why ? Just use a longer speaker cable, run to the left, under the windows, the across under the sofa to the right surround speaker stand.

While you're at it, run an HDMI cable the same way to a W1070 projector sitting on that table behind the sofa. Put the TV in a bedroom. Pull a blackout drape across the window for daytime use. Go ahead and project onto the wall for now to skip screen costs. For $700 you would have a much better experience.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #6 of 6 Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea. Maybe in a few months! It would be a good fall project.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page