New to the projector world - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to the projector world

Hello everyone,

I will return from deployment soon I plan to turn my "formal dinning room" into a HT. The reason I would not call it a dedicated theater room is because I would also like to use it for football games hear and there, so some ambient light will be there for causal viewing. For movie nights it will be completely dark.

I have a particular style I am going for (modern art deco), and this is where I am having issues. The room has wainscoting. I plan to do the lower section of the room a dark chocolate color, and the top a deep turquoise. I feel if I go with a flat paint this should be dark enough. I am debating on doing the whole wall where the screen will be all dark chocolate. The roof is the tricky part, for both the style and projector attributes. It is a white popcorn ceiling. To get it dark, and fit in with the style, I was going to do dark metal ceiling tiles like so...

http://<a href="http://www.amazon.co...ile+pewter</a>

Do you think this would refract to much light do to its metal properties to make it worth the effort? Has anyone had experience with detailed ceiling tiles in theater rooms?

My other idea to darken the ceiling was to cover it with sound isolation foam. Like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Mybecca-48-Inc...06PMPY73F8J93P

I think it will still fit the style of the room, but not quite as much as the art deco tiles. Is there any down side to covering the whole ceiling in this foam?

To tag along with the question, as it might help the issue of light, I have been researching ALR screens. Something simple like the Silver Ticket gray or a Elite Screens CineGrey. I know this would help with the ceiling issue a bit as well as being able to use the room to watch football in the day time. But how much am I really going to loose on movie night viewing experience? I haven't found any differentiate feedback on that front. 10%? 30? If it is 25% or more I would likely go with a white screen and forgo using the room for football games. I will be using a Epson 5025UB if that makes a difference.

Audio will be a whole different conversation once I get the room and PJ/screen locked in. But I do like what I hear about this Atmos stuff .

I appreciate any comments or tips you can provide.

Forward

Click here to Reply or Forward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement