AVS Forum banner

Baby Cave Design

291 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SAgosto 
#1 ·
I am in the process of renovating my baby cave (~20' X 30'ish space formerly known as my man cave). The space will be split 50/50 with my daughter for play time and a home theatre area for movies and TV. I already have a large leather sectional (http://www.raymourflanigan.com/carpenter-4-pc-leather-sectional-sofa-288269484.aspx) but not sure the best layout nor how I should layout the speakers. I have used the Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Set with success. I realize some may frown on that but it sounds very good to me. Given the layout of the room, I have limited layout options for the wireless kit given the lack of electrical outlets. The picture with the TV on the left side (viewed from the hallway into the space) was my original layout idea with the sectional on the right with the surround sound speakers on the 2 pillars behind the sectional. However, I don't have an electrical outlet to use for the wireless system. I could move the TV to the back wall by the windows and the sectional facing it (you would see the rear of the sectional from the hallway as you enter the space) but I am concerned it will make the room look cluttered especially since we are doing a small wet bar to replace the cherry colored wood table in the photo. This layout would allow use of the electrical outlet by the door on the left. Or, I could ditch the wireless for a wired connection and utilize 7.1+. However, I am not even sure how I would run the wire. Could I run it under the carpet to the speakers on posts? If I put the TV on the left wall, I could drill into the rear wall into the storage room (will be new bathroom located to the LEFT of the TV in the photo) and run the wires into the ceiling and fish them down into the posts. If I wanted to do 7.1, does it make more sense to do ceiling speakers? Side speakers? Or additional front height speakers?

I still need to paint the ceiling, replace the carpet, and build out the bathroom so I am at a standstill with these projects until I make this decision.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you access that soffit that runs down the middle from the utility area? You may be able to fish some wires through there.

I've seen other remove the baseboards and drywall behind the baseboards and drill holes for wires. Replace the drywall and baseboards and its hidden well.

I'd stay away from running any wiring under carpet.

Are you carving out an area for all the kid toys? Those things get large and take up space (I have 2 girls). Good luck!

#3 ·
Can you access that soffit that runs down the middle from the utility area? You may be able to fish some wires through there.
The TV will be to LEFT of the soffit either against the back wall by the window or by the door. I am not sure how to run the wires from those two areas to get to the soffit to ultimately get to the side pillars or back pillars for mount. I am still not sure where I would run the additional 2 speakers (e.g. front height, ceiling, side, etc.)

I've seen other remove the baseboards and drywall behind the baseboards and drill holes for wires. Replace the drywall and baseboards and its hidden well.
That won't work because I need to run away from the baseboards across the open floor to the pillars.

I'd stay away from running any wiring under carpet.
Why? Very low voltage. You wouldn't "feel" it?

Are you carving out an area for all the kid toys? Those things get large and take up space (I have 2 girls). Good luck!
They have 300 SQ FT+. That best be enough. :) Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.