Outstanding HT in a Common but Special Room - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 100 Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 856
I've been having all my fun playing with 7.2.2 and 7.2.4 with only one Atmos movie, no demos, and the several Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA discs that I have. (But I have to admit, even the movies from Directv can sound incredibly good with the A3060, immersive setup, and Dolby Surround, NeuralX or Enhanced DSP.) However, tomorrow I finally get another disc -- the Atmos encoded The Fifth Element .

Aside from being a good movie with some great sound and effects, The Fifth Element has special import for me. Back in the way back when it first was released, my wife and I saw it in a new theater in Asheville, NC. When the movie started, the intro THX sonic blew us away! We turned to each other at the same time and said, "We gotta get a new stereo!"

That began my excursion into highend audio. With a good job and a nice bonus, we decided to go for it. The result was my Mirage OM-6s, a Lexicon DC1, and power amp. For 5 years, the earnings held and the system expanded to 7.1, AC3 and DTS. After a lot more years, the DC1 became "out-tech-ed" (HD and HDMI) and eventually was replaced on a lower retirement budget. That brought in the RX-A820. More wonders, but I never could overcome the yearning for the sound quality produced by the DC1.

Jump forward four years and many new experiences in aging (yeah, life's truths) and a few months ago while trying to coax more from my A820 I faced the fact that I had short-changed myself. More research and many lurking adventures into AVS Forum (mostly in the Owners Axx50 thread), I lurched my way into purchase of the A3060. I have no reservations with stating that I have now recovered and exceeded the audio nirvana produced using the Lexicon DC1. With more than a month to play, continue upgrading (how could I not) and getting 7.2.4 to really stand out, I'm now coming back to where all this started -- The Fifth Element. (Notice the $8.99 price. THAT is the Atmos release.)

https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Element...+fifth+element
pilgrimpete likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 09-26-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 100 Old 09-26-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, for the most part this home theater upgrade is finished. I still will be adding the AMP100VS in a few weeks when the trigger function is resolved for Atmos RP speakers. The room, the setup and the various YPAO adjustments are completed and backed up for recovery at any time.

See the pics below for the final trim completion. This first is another of the RP speaker installation with the wiring run tucked up out of the way and disappearing into the holes which access the space between the joists where the speakers are hung.

The second (quite blurry) pic shows a corner of the cedar trim piece I removed to route a channel for the wire to be run from the wall corner (not shown here, but seen below) over to the loft edge. Notice where the two pieces of trim come together. The lower piece has the routed channel, the upper has a drilled hole in the back edge and a cut that didn't go through properly. After this pic, I used a chisel to make a space at that "bad" cut to allow pushing the wires up to exit out of that hole. The cross trim "L" will have a channel routed into which I can drop the wires that run across the loft face. That trim piece will also hide those holes. (This is the trim piece that my wife had decided a few months back that she would like to add in order to hide some problems with the dry wall as it met the dining room ceiling to form that horizontal corner. After 15 or so years, small cracks had developed that kept recurring even when re-plastered -- a small defect in the original room finish.)

Finally, the last pic shows that "L" trim piece in place across the loft corner. No wires, no holes. The trim fit precisely in place (thank you Lord), and my wife approved. Hard to beat! (In another 20 years, that trim will have aged to a similar nice patina as the rest of the cedar in the room. <sigh>) Notice at the extreme right of the pic, the wiring channel that runs up the corner near that left Surround.

So last evening we watched the new Atmos encoded The Fifth Element. If you've ever seen the movie, you will definitely enjoy it more in Atmos. Its surround track just begs for the immersive treatment and shows it off repeatedly throughout the movie. Even my wife (who says soundtracks don't matter) commented immediately that it was a LOT better than the original. (@JDSmoothie;, she took a LOT more convincing over the A3060 than you would have thought! But this was the clincher. )
pilgrimpete likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 10-17-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #33 of 100 Old 09-26-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Good Job Rich,

To convince my better half of any of my upgrades I usually put on one of her favorite Concerts,
(James Taylor tribute on HD DVD, The Eagles Farewell Tour on bluray, or Roy Orbison Black and White Night)

...and most importantly, I give up my center seat (aka the "Sweet Spot")
It's amazing how much more volume I can add and she doesn't care at all,
just grins from ear to ear singing along happy as a clam.

.But..when I'm down in the basement on my own, I can rarely get the volume above -25
and she's yelling down two flights of stairs to TTFSD!!!

Women
Methodical_1 and richlife like this.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2

post #34 of 100 Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Good Job Rich,

To convince my better half of any of my upgrades I usually put on one of her favorite Concerts,
(James Taylor tribute on HD DVD, The Eagles Farewell Tour on bluray, or Roy Orbison Black and White Night)

.But..when I'm down in the basement on my own, I can rarely get the volume above -25

Women
Hilarious! My wife refuses to take the sweet spot. And, as you know, it's all good. But maybe the trick is Black and White Nights...

post #35 of 100 Old 10-16-2016, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm in the process of changing the photos from thumbprints to embedded from Photobucket -- will clean up references when completed. It took a while to find, get into and learn again how to use my Photobucket albums, but it does make the thread more appealing.

I'm also currently looking into replacing my RX-V373 with the AudioSource AMP100VS and posted previously.

post #36 of 100 Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just made this post and wanted to add the tweak here for those interested in those RSL C34E speaks for in-ceiling Atmos.

The official Dolby Atmos thread (home theater version)

post #37 of 100 Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the confirmation a while ago that the AudioSource AMP100VS with Atmos compatible trigger is on the way! Look for a couple of more finishing pics once I receive it.

(I'm really getting tired of having to manually turn my RP speaker amp on and off... )

post #38 of 100 Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's mostly finished

I've had the AMP100VS installed for about a week now -- and also finally received the demo disks I ordered. Incidentally, I also added a Harmony 650 universal remote which makes things easier but to which I'm still getting used to -- and still programming... But THAT has made things a lot more convenient.

A couple of pics are included here of the complete room with full ATMOS positions shown. The pics aren't great, but the camera position is at the rear wall (next to the back surround) and at the front wall (behind the front mains and actually behind the ELAC DAES) so that all six YPAO measured seating positions can (almost) be seen. For review, that total distance front to back is about 26 feet.

The amp acts basically the way I expected -- pretty transparent change except that I now have an amp that comes on when my A3060 is turned on. (It's probably just psychological, but I also "feel" that the output of this amp is cleaner. The specs are low THD and music just "sounds" better. Yeah, real head case! )

I spent a good 10 minutes talking with Stuart from AudioSource about the volume setting for the amp. Although I'm not keen on setting any amp volume to max, based on his input I think that's fine. Basically, the amp will never be under full load, regardless of the input power. So I set the control at the max 12 dot (and for my own comfort, backed it off to 11.5 ), which allows the Yamaha pre-out level to be comparable for all speaker outs when running YPAO.

But this class D amp does output some heat. It's not extreme, but way more than my A3060 and I'm happy to trigger my Z-Fan from it. Also of note is that the amp is about half the height of the RX-V373 I was using, which therefore allowed me to go back to a living room setup that looks more appealing instead of having the huge block of black components sitting in the unit in front of me. Re-inserting the red oak shelf provides a little comforting release from BLACK. Compare the pic here to the one in this post #26 on p1. (My wife is VERY pleased.)

Ok, so this day looks a little foggy(?) in the pics... But zoom a little to see two things on the right side. The wall unit with two shelves in the now broken up black block (which I like) and the center sofa table which has the wrap for my YPAO setup sitting on it. The two sofa seats farthest away from the TV are positions 4 (center) and 3 (end) of my YPAO setup. In the center of the room is the MLP with seat 2 to the left. Seats (YPAO positions) 5 and 6 are the two dining table seats that are set behind the MLP. From an ATMOS perspective the MLP and seat 5 (just behind) are the best, most ideal sound perspective. Somewhat amazingly to me, seats 2 and 3 to each side still provide an excellent ATMOS sound bubble -- it's just that they are at the respective sides of that bubble. With the circling helicopter demo, the listener hears the chopper circle around the room, but from the perspective of their seat. I had not really appreciated how marvelously ATMOS creates the sound immersion before hearing that demo.

From the front, the left main is the black block in the bottom center. Look carefully and you can see the YPAO microphone stand on the back of the MLP. (I also used that to make "head height" with those dining room chairs. )

I found the demo discs to be very useful. The best to me is the Atmos 2015 Nov with the audio tracks including the helicopter that is frequently referenced. In my room, it's not a perfect circle -- nor is the room a real square for the Atmos speakers. Instead, the chopper circles in a more oval pattern back around front and back. The other disc is the Reelwood demos. That one is little disappointing because most of the "DTS" demos are DTS HD MA rather than DTS:X. The DTS:X are music videos -- very good, interesting and, at least to me, a little erratic in audio quality. Of course several are late-60s re-masters of live concerts, so they started with less than ideal material. I have found that the effect for these with my Atmos Scene is as good or better than with my DTS:X Scene setup. I found the DTS:X Scene with "Heights" is more like the "bright" sound that some describe as characteristic of Yamaha (though that is not true). The Atmos Scene does not seem that way at all. But I still have a lot more listening and testing to do...

Last edited by richlife; 02-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #39 of 100 Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, I got those last pics oriented right and cleaned up a bit. I did that on my PC with the Win10 Photos app instead of trying to guess how Photobucket would handle it. Interesting -- with only one attempt to use the "Enhance" function on Photobucket, I found the same function in Photos to be far more effective.

post #40 of 100 Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So over in the Yamaha Axx60 thread, I've mentioned (as in, shoved it down their throats) the music Blurays and DVDs I've been going back to listen to (and watched, though not as critically) since I've gotten this great system setup. After all, I've said it several times, it's music, not movies, that really drives this quest for as close to perfection in sound as I can afford. (Before retiring years back, that was more -- so I have a foundation. Now I just want to do the best I can with what I started.)

It occurred to me that we've been tossing around favorites and yet that thread was not dedicated to music, but instead to the HTs we've set up around particular AVRs. And looking around AVS Forums, I really don't find a thread that is "music talk". (Please let me know if I'm wrong.)

So since this is my thread about my theater and music system, why not just continue my thoughts here.

As I'm typing, I have Gary Moore The Definitive Montreux Collection playing. Right now he's ripping my heart out with "Parisienne Walkways". <pause> <seriously -- long pause> If I can do no more than to turn a few more people onto Gary Moore, I think that's just fine. But to really appreciate his music it would also help to hear his Blues for Greeny CD and check out Peter Green and the original Fleetwood Mac. There is so much more in what these folks produce than you can find in just one album.

But my point in starting this post was to simply list my special favorite artists and maybe special performances. And to hope that maybe some others might be willing to share those that you especially covet. <pause for T-Bone Walker's "Stormy Monday" -- perhaps the greatest blues song ever written>

So without attempting to prioritize, the guitars I listen to most: Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Tab Benoit, Joe Bonamassa...

My music taste is extensive, but it should be obvious the rock and blues are pretty much at the top. Alongside Beethoven.

Any suggestions both artist and DVD/CD are why I started this...
haggis likes this.

Last edited by richlife; 11-18-2016 at 09:45 PM.
post #41 of 100 Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Nice place mate, your den is probably larger than most homes where I am... love the woody feel of the room, cheers.
richlife likes this.
post #42 of 100 Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And on to another stage. Working on accustoming my wife to the fact that a new, 65" full HDR WCG 4K tv will be a worthwhile purchase even though our 55" Vizio (with it's HDR limitations) is just a year old. I'm starting with the Samsung KS9500 as the standard to go by (and maybe an end-of-model-year purchase). Despite the good looks, I'm not convinced at this point that OLED will have the longevity for the high cost. And 2017 is going to bring some definite new improvements in LCD Quantum Dot as well as OLED tech. This isn't the right time to force a purchase.

But the item I've been struggling with most is the Samsung K8500 4K BR player that will finally arrive tomorrow (after BB has had their hand in a weeks' delay). There are known issues between this K4500 and my M55-C2 tv. I know how to make the best of it, but it's going to take time and probably make me a little crazy. And that assumes I get one of the "good" ones. (I just bought new Certified High Speed cables from Monoprice.) I've studied what I can of the other existing 4K BR players. The OPPO is clearly the way to go, but it could be 3x the cost and actually has yet to be seen, let alone proven. I really have no doubts, but I'm willing to wait on updates "final testing". The Panasonic is good but has mixed reviews and is way over-priced compared to OPPO. The Phillips may be better than Samsung, but to me that judgement is a toss-up. Bird in hand... AND it can be returned if i just get TOO "crazy".

As an add-on here, I've put in so much time/effort on getting this HT updated, improved and tweaked, that I missed a few things along the way. Such as the Rolling Stones new blues album Blue & Lonesome. Well, I'm caught up thanks to Spotify. (Hmm, maybe I also forgot to mention that I've added a Spotify account to my Yamaha Inputs...) One thing I remember well about the early Stones what how much I loved it when they played the blues. At that point, I was too young to know what the blues actually meant as a music genre and it took me years to figure it out. But I sure knew that I liked what they were doing! This album takes them and me back. Love it!
pilgrimpete likes this.

Last edited by richlife; 12-06-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #43 of 100 Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I liked the Samsung UHD player and would have got one but I still need to be able to play SACD and it wasn't a feature - so I wait for the more expensive but more capable Oppo.

Good luck with the TV convincing! I was in a similar position with my wife but she was very agreeable with it all. We were going to buy another TV anyway for the living room and I'd already made a winning case that the wall was so wide, anything less than a big-screen on it would look sad. Ended up moving the 70" from my media room there and then putting a new Vizio 75" with HDR in its place. The original TV was still working great, is 4K but it just didn't have HDR which I was hoping to get into.

Equipment: Vizio P75-C1 UHD HDR TV; Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060 Receiver (7.2.4); Audio Source AMP100VS 2 Channel Amplifier; Polk RTi8 Towers; Polk CSi A6 Center; 2x Polk FXi A6 Surrounds, 2x Polk FXi5 Surrounds; 2x Polk PSW125 Subs; 4x ELAC A4 Debut Atmos Speakers, 4K Dish Network Hopper 3; Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray disc player; XBox One S console; XBox 360 console; Apple TV (4th Gen.)
post #44 of 100 Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post
I liked the Samsung UHD player and would have got one but I still need to be able to play SACD and it wasn't a feature - so I wait for the more expensive but more capable Oppo.

Good luck with the TV convincing! I was in a similar position with my wife but she was very agreeable with it all. We were going to buy another TV anyway for the living room and I'd already made a winning case that the wall was so wide, anything less than a big-screen on it would look sad. Ended up moving the 70" from my media room there and then putting a new Vizio 75" with HDR in its place. The original TV was still working great, is 4K but it just didn't have HDR which I was hoping to get into.
Good to hear, Pete! This is getting easier as we go. I just worked out next year's budget in detail and, well Look! There's room for a new 65" 4K UHD TV.
pilgrimpete likes this.

post #45 of 100 Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Good to hear, Pete! This is getting easier as we go. I just worked out next year's budget in detail and, well Look! There's room for a new 65" 4K UHD TV.
I ended up replacing the TV, the receiver, the gaming console, the Apple TV and the satellite boxes this year (and probably the Blu-ray player in another week or two). Next year for me will be replacing two rear speakers in the 7.2 setup and possibly one or both subs and then adding the four ceiling speakers. I think that will be my limit then for the year (and maybe the one after) as the wife has graciously put some other house plans back to accommodate my hobby!

I really like how your room looks and I bet it sounds fantastic. I need to do a reconnaissance mission soon, up into my attic to see how accessible my ceiling is from there. I liked how you could easily get into yours to add the ceiling speakers.

Forgot to add, I will need an amp I suppose if I am going for 11 speakers. Another cost to add....
Save
Save

Equipment: Vizio P75-C1 UHD HDR TV; Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060 Receiver (7.2.4); Audio Source AMP100VS 2 Channel Amplifier; Polk RTi8 Towers; Polk CSi A6 Center; 2x Polk FXi A6 Surrounds, 2x Polk FXi5 Surrounds; 2x Polk PSW125 Subs; 4x ELAC A4 Debut Atmos Speakers, 4K Dish Network Hopper 3; Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray disc player; XBox One S console; XBox 360 console; Apple TV (4th Gen.)
post #46 of 100 Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Figured you could use some help since your effort looks a little pasty...
pilgrimpete likes this.

post #47 of 100 Old 12-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Good Job Rich,

Women
HAHA! This made me laugh. I have to wait until she's out the house to crank it up.
richlife likes this.
post #48 of 100 Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here the final pic shows all the hanging wire and speakers with their covers.

This is what I needed - some real life photos of the angled speaker install relative to the main listening position. These photos and real world reviews, base on the location of the in ceiling speakers, help to confirm that I am on the right track with where I plan to install my in ceiling speakers. Maybe I missed it, but do you the RSL mounted out front also?

Thanks for the photos, sometimes it's hard for me to vision based on those non real world photos that's out there with no real person review.
post #49 of 100 Old 12-22-2016, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I take all the help I can get too... BELIEVE ME!!

Lost somewhere in the verbiage is that I use ELAC A4s for FPs. There's a little chatter about the DAES being "fake" Atmos, but they are fantastic for me. I suspect a lot of the issues may have to do with DAES being mounted low on top of or being integrated into the top of the front RL speakers. From my experimenting, I found that the sound is clearer, more focused when I mounted them high. You can see them in the Front view of my setup. Despite the sloped ceiling, the reflection point is only about 4' above the ELACs. If they were on my (rather tall) towers, they would be more than 3' further. I think getting a "tight" reflection off the ceiling could be important.

But, no, I don't use RSLs for the FPs.

post #50 of 100 Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Most won't notice, but I got the mods to move this thread to this more appropriate forum -- and many thanks for the great service! I asked and within a few minutes the change was made...

So I made a comment in the Yamaha ...A3060 Owners forum that I had personally learned that (despite being very happy with my 7.2.2 setup) I was able to find a 7.2.4 configuration that is distinctly "more better". I'll describe details below, but if you look at this pic, you'll see some of the ways that this is truly a "weak" 7.2.4 setup -- but it sounds great!

This shot taken from in front of my tv and looking over the MLP, shows the connected dining room with the open loft overhead. To each side just behind the MLP are the new (and temporary) Rear Presence speakers. You can see that the right RP speaker is propped on top of the wall unit (left side of pic), while the left (yes, on the other right side ) is balanced on a step ladder and on a box set of "The Lord of the Rings" to match the height. Not ideal at all being only about 6 feet up and only three feet behind my Side Surrounds -- but it works! And what it does properly, is to push the Atmos rearward effects back behind the MLP.

This was tested with my only Atmos movie -- John Wick. NOW I know the difference between the rain splashing actually overhead with 7.x.4 versus with 7.x.2 -- big improvement!

Next post for the details of what's WRONG with this setup and how I want to correct it.
The pics are really nice!

Ashley HomeStore
post #51 of 100 Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjohn View Post
The pics are really nice!
Thanks. Just hoping to be helpful -- it's really hard to imagine this stuff without seeing the room, knowing the room size and/or the speaker placement. These are the details I always ask for if someone asks for help.

post #52 of 100 Old 12-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Blues music thread, enjoy

Blues music

How did you like

You might enjoy this. One of my many favorites.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.1.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Pioneer SP-T22A, JBL 12" Wireless Sub

Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony BDP-BX650, ATV G3, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Smart Control with Touch Remote, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #53 of 100 Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Blues music thread, enjoy

Blues music

How did you like

You might enjoy this. One of my many favorites.
You're right! I very much enjoy it -- ever since I bought it months back.

And if you have not yet listened to Tab Benoit, do yourself a BIG favor...

post #54 of 100 Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Good Job Rich,

Women
Stumbled across your post when looking the OP's photos and couldn't help but laugh.

Our wives must be twins. With about $20K in sound equipment, I really would like to hear it. As it is, I mind as well have a sound bar. At least, there's not much point in audio upgrades so I'm doing video upgrades instead. lol
richlife likes this.
post #55 of 100 Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I certainly get that! I'm sort of fortunate. Hunh?! My wife grew up in a family of 8 kids. She is nearly immune to sound external to her own interest. She just turns the tv up... Of course, when my audio experience is complete, I'm the one with TTFSD!!!

Fortunately, I designed my house with sound insulation between certain walls. I does help to have more than 30 years marital experience... (now approaching 50!).

post #56 of 100 Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Fairly early in our 5 year marriage, I got a high end pair of headphones. The particular design is one of the open ones.(open to air??, whatever).

She even complained that those were too loud. I almost had her committed on that one.

Congrats on your long marriage. Its kind of a rarity these days.
post #57 of 100 Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Fairly early in our 5 year marriage, I got a high end pair of headphones. The particular design is one of the open ones.(open to air??, whatever).

She even complained that those were too loud. I almost had her committed on that one.

Congrats on your long marriage. Its kind of a rarity these days.
Thanks for the congrats -- like all others, we have the difficult times, but I am truly a lucky man!

Have you tried a full, over-ear, closed design? Just, at your age, do watch the volume (says the old man). Me and a good set of earphones and the Doobie Bros. (among others) did a real job on my ears at about 7 years into my marriage. The non-stop ringing is a permanent fixture. And that experience has a lot to do with why I really much prefer a great set of speakers! (Slightly different cost though. )

post #58 of 100 Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the congrats -- like all others, we have the difficult times, but I am truly a lucky man!

Have you tried a full, over-ear, closed design? Just, at your age, do watch the volume (says the old man). Me and a good set of earphones and the Doobie Bros. (among others) did a real job on my ears at about 7 years into my marriage. The non-stop ringing is a permanent fixture. And that experience has a lot to do with why I really much prefer a great set of speakers! (Slightly different cost though. )
Same here about the non stop ringing. Strangely, the volume of the ringing changes depending on how much sugar or carbs I've eaten. Might be an alarm to stay away from the sweet stuff. lol

I've got a pair of closed headphones but the open ones are of a higher quality. Think wife was just being a bit touchy that day. I think I'll give them another try and see what happens.
post #59 of 100 Old 01-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Richlife, I installed those Infinities over the holiday break and they were worth the cost of admission. I have been enjoying Atmos and DTS:X since.
post #60 of 100 Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Disgusting, isn't it -- quoting myself. But it does serve to get me back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Richlife, I installed those Infinities over the holiday break and they were worth the cost of admission. I have been enjoying Atmos and DTS:X since.
Good to hear. Now you know why so many of us say that those immersive tracks contribute more to our enjoyment than a simple upgrade to 4K/UHD. It's just a game changer.

From my end, I'm also looking forward to improvement, but of a different kind. As I said above, a new 65" will be coming. I've spent almost as much time trying to decide on a tv (and consequently learning about technology, brands, models, etc.) as I did trying to learn about and setup Atmos/DTS:X. So more than a month later and after input from CES reports, I came up with MY winner! I'll hold off until April (or whenever it becomes available) and get the new LG OLED65B7P -- http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65B7P-oled-4k-tv . Borrowing from a sentence in another post I made today, I like the late 2016 reviews for these LGs and the comparisons with LCD alternatives. Add to that the slight improvement in the 2017 specs, all the support for the various HDR options, the comments I've received from current OLED owners who share similar lighting conditions and the availability through Costco with the advantages that offers -- it finally became clear.

There's been a lot of talk as the year ended and the new models are introduced about "future-proofing". As the recent HDMI 2.1 announcement shows, there is no such thing. But with every HDR mode known being provided from the outset in the 2017 models, the LGs are probably as close as we'll get at this point. The minor increase in luminance and even more minor color gamut bump, will help in my bright room -- though I may still need to use those shades...

Anyway, as much as I enjoy Atmos/DTS:X, I think I'll also find a huge improvement with a 10" larger screen (the largest my wall unit and room can manage) , OLED and full HDR WCG. (At least I will after 3 long months... )

Along with everything else, I haven't yet pointed out that I now have an OPPO 203 UHD BR player -- returned the K8500. I've said how there is a huge experience impact with Atmos/DTS:X and anticipate another comparable impact with a new larger tv. Well, the OPPO as a piece of equipment has had more effect on my HT than anything else since the A3060! Fortunately, I've seen almost none of the issues with this player that some others have had to deal with. It performs magic in upscaling DVDs and BRs. Audio quality is superb and includes a new capability for me with SACD -- another fantastic music capability. "Brothers in Arms" on SACD is spellbinding and breathtaking! Those words actually do have meaning.

It's continuing to be an amazing year! Starting with the Yamaha, going through the upgrades for Atmos/DTS:X, winning the OPPO in a contest and now looking forward to a new full capability UHD OLED, I can only feel amazed and thankful.

Last edited by richlife; 01-14-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page