In Ceiling Center Channel - Anyone Ever Done This? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone ever placed a center channel speaker in the ceiling?

My screen for my front projector is ~6' in front of my cabinets where I currently have my speakers housed. While the sound from the speaker is not altered in any way by the screen (it is placed underneath) I still can sense that the sound is coming from behind the screen and not from the screen.

It was suggested to me to place the center channel (using a Sonance or the like) in the ceiling right in front of the screen, and to angle the tweater/midrange towards the seating area.

Anyone ever tried this??

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The whole idea for a center speaker is to have the sound coming from the screen. Using a cabinet 6' behind the screen is not correct setup for the center speaker. YOu should put the center speaker on a small stand and place it directly below the screen. And a ceiling mounted center speaker? Far out, but far away sounding as well. You'd need to lay on the floor in front of the screen and look up to hear the voicing properly. Revise your setup to make proper use of the center speaker and you will enjoy your system far more!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Steve,

Not so simple, I put the screen about 6' in front of the cabinets in order to maintain the correct seating to screen width ratio as well as the fact that the ceiling area above the screen will not accomodate a recessed screen (no clearance in the soffit).

My current center channel is in the correct position relative to the screen but at 6' away the dispersion pattern of the spaker is such that the sound comes thru muffled.

I played w/ the center channel underneath in the cabinet and although it is 6' behind sound is clear and not muffled in any way. I then took the speaker out of the cabinet and put on the floor (angled up) directly below the screen. This configuration is even better as the sound now seems to eminate from the screen (and not from behind).

So, my choices are:

1. Put speaker below
2. Put speaker below and move under the screen when doing serious listening / watching
3. Try this idea of a ceiling mounted center channel in front of the screen (some of the models allow you to angle the midrange and tweater).
4. Redo the whole room!

I am trying to choose the best option.

Suggestions??

Steve
post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 08:44 AM

Greetings!

Another choice...Get an acoustically transparent screen (Stewart Filmscreen makes micro-perforated screens) and place your center channel behind the screen.

For what it's worth...

------------------
Best Regards,

Darryll

"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

Visit our web site for our dedicated home theater / media room, The Nexus.

Best Regards,

Darryll

"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Darryll,

Can't do this as the screen would be 6' in front of the speakers.

Stewart has told me that unless the speakers are within 6"-12" from the screen they will not guarantee the setup.

Steve

post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Seems the only option open here is a center speaker below your screen. This will certainly sound the best given your setup.
You can get some large ceramic cones, or something similar, and place two of them under the ends of the very front of the center speaker, to angle it up towards the listener.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a different approach.

What if you place a pair of quality monitor speakers, on the left and right sides of your screen, one speaker sitting on top of each main speaker, (or on stands at center height), angled inward to create a center phased image?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2000, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Placing the speaker below and right under the screen seems to be working fairly well.

I am curious to try the in ceiling speaker from Sonance or equivilant including the SpeakerCraft Aim 5.

I also came across a ceiling speaker lift that would allow me to mount the speaker right behind the screen and on command angle the speaker down at the listening area. In this manner I ccould go with a perf on the leader and a normal center channel speaker.

Take a look at
http://www.auton.com/content/product.../speakers.html
http://www.auton.com/content/examples/ceilingspkr.html

Any ideas on this device or whether this approach would work??

Steve

[This message has been edited by gages (edited April 16, 2000).]
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page