AVS Forum banner

Media Room layout thoughts...

407 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  T-Bone 
#1 ·
Please pardon the crude design of my media room. Best i could do with the tools i had available. :0)

I am looking for what might be the consensus on the best layout for my 5.1 home theater. The room dimensions are 12'x14' with 10" ceiling except where the dotted line goes down, that is an angle down roughly 45 degrees from the ceiling. It's roughly 1400ft*3 . In the middle of the wall on the right is a fairly large double window with heavy blackout curtains. The bottom wall has french doors which we keep open due to the sofa blocking them. the first image is our current set up, the second is how I would like to set it up. the two chairs have to remain in the room, for WAF.

I just purchased my speakers and they will be delivered tomorrow. Along the top wall I have a bookshelf that runs from wall to wall with roughly 8" on either side clearance.

System is as follows:
60" LG LCD 1080p TV
Marantz SR 7001 AVR
Xbox One for digital media
Raspberry Pi as media server from Digital Movie and Music Library running Kodi as an OS.
L/R BIC Venturi DV62Si bookshelf speakers on 30"stands.
Center BIC DV62 CLRS
BIC V1020 Subwoofer
Rears BIC Venturi DV62Si ( no stands yet for these, as placement will be a factor. I might mount them in corners up on the wall with adjustable mounts.)

I was hoping i might be able to get some input on how best to get the most out my new gear. WAF is always a factor. I basically have two options. One the wife likes and one the wife is not crazy about. Y'alls input will help to determine which is better suited for viewing and listening.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you ever plan to have guests? Option left might be better for the sweet spot if you could bring the couch forward some. This would allow surrounds behind you a bit more. But if you plan to have movie night with a few people option right probably makes more sense.

Soundwise, you might hook up the subwoofer and see which wall it sounds better at. Put your couch there and call it good.

#3 ·
I prefer the option on the right where all seating is focused toward the tv. that would give you more space away from the surround speakers so they aren't right at one ear or the other if you're in the primary seating - the sofa.

#4 ·
I prefer the right image... I prefer symmetry... And rear speaker placement will be easier.

I would pull the sofa away from the wall about a foot. Surrounds on stands would be preferred. In the interim, you could place rears on floor behind sofa and pointed up towards ceiling (not ideal... But will work until you get stands or mounts).

-T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.