Evolution of minimalistic theatre - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 2 Post By snyderkv
  • 2 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By v0yce
  • 2 Post By uniquepattern
  • 1 Post By snyderkv
  • 1 Post By snyderkv
  • 2 Post By uniquepattern
  • 1 Post By drunkpenguin
  • 2 Post By drunkpenguin
  • 1 Post By Rob-Houston

post #1 of 27 Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Minimalist theatre

Here are a few pics of where I started pre-minimalist life and ending with huge energy savings, less clutter and wire mess.

So far, big load off my shoulders. I feel more financially free, free to move out whenever I want in a single trip with a hatchback. No credit card lines that make me a corporate slave. No boss whose ego I have to stroke in order to secure my stuff payments and the freedom to lose my stuff without fear of loss due to reduced emotional attachment to it. I've seen how people love their physical DVD copies of a movie they haven't watched in 10 years because they identify themselves with their stuff. Considering you can't take your stuff with you when you die, it doesn't make much sense to form personal attachments with inanimate objects especially since they will be thrown away after you pass.

All in all, I think this is the future of home theater as more people want smaller hassle free systems that still get you in the door of the latest technology wile improving aesthetics, power, space savings, simplicity and WAF.

Started 14k NAD trio with ML Spires
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	1968737

Replaced with on-walls but still too much

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	1968745

Final result no AVR Wireless system with Ikea table

Name:	IMG_0286_FIX.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2028825

Name:	IMG_0334_FIX.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	2028833

-Signed up with audible and threw away books
-Digitized all awards, coins, pictures and documents
-Gave away my physical movie disks and stream everything via Fire Stick.
-Reduced 5 remotes to a single iPod via Harmony app integrated with Echo Dot.
T-Bone and eljaycanuck like this.

Last edited by snyderkv; 03-15-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Just imagine having NO Speakers seen, but having a 7.4.2 Atmos system.

Equipment hidden away in a Closet.

A Ultra Short Throw Projector projecting onto a bare wall.

Basically a stark Cubical.....very 1984-ish

Very do-able right now....and for less than you can really imagine.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Aesthetics be damned. When I have folks over for a movie night or music listening, the last thing I'm going to do is put them on a folding chair. To each their own and if you enjoy your area, enjoy it. A lot of us happen to enjoy the "trappings" of recliners and shiny discs.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion 8's -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - B&W 602's - B&W center BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
Fluance bipoles for rears

post #4 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Not really a minimalist forum .. But to each his own and congratulations on your stuff and financial freedom! Just don't wonder why you are the only once sitting in your theater watching Avatar.. my butt huts just looking at that!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #5 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 05:44 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Guys,

The Minimalist mentality often takes root in those who have experienced the excesses of the life and who then determine there is pristine beauty to be had in the simpler things. Much the same as snyderkv.

Sometimes it hails from those who have out of need made do with less, and found that "less can be more" if one appreciates what blessings one does have.

snyderkv simply wants to share something that has in fact become a revelation to him. While it may not be what we want in life...it has become an important part of his quintessential being.

Above all else, we should be glad that someone with different ideas and thoughts from outside our norm takes the time to express himself on this bastion of technology.

So.......all ya all git off n his case !!!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Guys,

The Minimalist mentality often takes root in those who have experienced the excesses of the life and who then determine there is pristine beauty to be had in the simpler things. Much the same as snyderkv.

Sometimes it hails from those who have out of need made do with less, and found that "less can be more" if one appreciates what blessings one does have.

snyderkv simply wants to share something that has in fact become a revelation to him. While it may not be what we want in life...it has become an important part of his quintessential being.

Above all else, we should be glad that someone with different ideas and thoughts from outside our norm takes the time to express himself on this bastion of technology.

+1
I felt it important to quote this for review...

I also enjoy a minimalist lifestyle at times... just not with my HT setup.....
post #7 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just imagine having NO Speakers seen, but having a 7.4.2 Atmos system.

Equipment hidden away in a Closet.

A Ultra Short Throw Projector projecting onto a bare wall.

Basically a stark Cubical.....very 1984-ish

Very do-able right now....and for less than you can really imagine.
I did actually here are my in-wall surrounds and height attached.

One big problem, wires still ran across the room front to back and you can't have active in-wall speakers due to fire hazard. In addition, they have to hook up to a bulky AVR. Wires did all go to my closet in a nice neat wall plate with banana plugs. End result? Spaghetti factory that I dreaded pulling out to work on.

You must be talking about the LG projector. Not enough lumens for a living room. But what need is there for a projector when OLEDs are thinner than my projector screen? I'm confident that OLEDs will make projectors obsolete within the next two or three years.

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1969289

Last edited by snyderkv; 02-20-2017 at 01:17 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
I did actually here are my in-wall surrounds and height. One big problem, wires still ran across the room front to back and you can't have active in-wall speakers due to fire hazard. In addition, they have to hook up to a bulky AVR with knobs, buttons, HDMI cables, transmitters etc. They did all go to my closet in a nice neat wall plate with banana plugs. End result? Spaghetti factory that I dreaded pulling out to work on. Getting rid of the AVR forced me to remove the in-walls. Eventually, an ATMOS sound bar will be in place of the wireless Klipsch and further reduce my footprint.

Attachment 1969289
Then you can eventually get rid of the soundbar and just use the built in TV speakers! It's the future.

And then you can get rid of the TV and just watch everything on an ultra portable tablet. FREEDOM!!!!
hifiHigh likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0yce View Post
Then you can eventually get rid of the soundbar and just use the built in TV speakers! It's the future.

And then you can get rid of the TV and just watch everything on an ultra portable tablet. FREEDOM!!!!

Still too much equipment...
The future of the minimalist HT is sitting in the middle of a dark empty room with nothing but your imagination...
rboster and eljaycanuck like this.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for the nicely written summery. I wasn't trying to push minimalism onto others but others may find some tidbits useful and can decide to follow if they choose.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How would a 1mm OLED have built in speakers?

Last edited by snyderkv; 02-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you can dish it but can't take it? Lighten up. I was going to respond but I didn't think you were supporting the thread anyways.

I can take it, I just don't understand why you felt the need in the first place....

Personally I enjoy a minimalist lifestyle in many other areas of my life. Clutter can be very irritating... I thought it was a novel approach to try it in an HT environment, where "more" is usually recommended to be "better"...
post #13 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I deleted the comment. I thought you and Voice were encouraging each other to run jokes so I tried a witty comeback.
uniquepattern likes this.

Last edited by snyderkv; 02-15-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I deleted the comment. I thought you and Voice were encouraging each other on running jokes so I tried to jump in.
No worries...
So what lead you to try the minimalist lifestyle in the first place, if you don't mind my asking? Have you found any difficulties you didn't anticipate?
post #15 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
No worries...
So what lead you to try the minimalist lifestyle in the first place, if you don't mind my asking? Have you found any difficulties you didn't anticipate?
Good question. Probably an accumulation of things. Disclaimer, I'm no writer like Mississippi man but I'll try and circle back for corrections at a later date.

Poor growing up and warehouse jobs when I was 19 made me hate life so much I was forced to come up with alternative solutions. I got a loan for IT certification and quit my job. I drove a Geo metro on fumes to school and back but I told myself I could do better if I put a bunch of batteries in this thing and did find an article on how to do so in 2001 but I didn't have the cash. However, I realized then that the idea of reducing expenses outweighed creating more income (because I had none). Due to my moving around and bumming at my friends, having stuff was not an option. In fact, stuff would have prevented me from moving freely at the time.

I finally got a real job at 24 and tried real estate after reading a Rich Dad book. I remember a line that said once your passive income exceeds your expenses, you're technically rich. Playing cash flow, you can beat the game every time and exit the rat race if you start as the blue collar rat. (because he has no expenses). The lawyers and such require way more turns thus reinforcing the idea that reducing expenses is as valuable as creating more income.

Currently drive an electric car and I don't pay for electricity. My 500 sqft condo is free/clear. I typically take long sabbaticals on very little savings. However, while unemployed, I was reminded that my 5.1.4 system and clutter was weighing me down keeping me feeling the anxiety of outlasting my cash reserves. Only when you're unemployed do you look at your stuff and ask yourself, why did I buy that? I could survive for an entire year off the money I put down on my home theater system.

I realized the less stuff, the more flexible I am to pick up and leave on retreats knowing that I don't have stuff dragging behind, depreciating, sucking the energy out of wallet (literally things are energy hogs)

When you get older, you experience the death of those you care about and you look at their belongings and stuff they cared so much about and held close but will now end up in a dumpster. You aren't taking it with you when you die. I quickly digitized everything after some of these thought experiments and was able to emotionally detach myself from things that I previously identified myself with. Books also reinforced this idea.

Now a few subjective tidbits. My friends Onkyo/Klipsch setup blew my separates away. Room correction and processing is more effective than expensive metal. I downsized again and again without losing much audio quality. Plus I read all the Richard Clark challenges, coat hanger tricks etc and realized I was a victim of marketing

That being said, I want to mention that even though less is more, it doesn't mean you have to go cheap. Minimalism isn't about saving money although that's an extra benefit. You can have the things that add value to your life while realizing that maybe you don't need all 6 television sets, cable or sentimental items packed away never to be seen again. One way that helped me reduce clutter was to count my items, not like a contest to see how little I can own but to analyze something in your hand asking yourself a few questions. 1) Why do I need this 2) Does it add value to my life. 3) Do I need it or want it 4) Can I borrow it from someone in the future or perhaps rent it i.e. special tools you use once every 5 years. I was surprised how much stuff I was able to throw away and had fun doing so. I'm still into home theater, I'm just trying to get there from a different angle.

/k
uniquepattern likes this.

Last edited by snyderkv; 02-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
special tools you use once every 5 years. I was surprised how much stuff I was able to throw away
OHHH NOOO Mr Bill! Not the tools!!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #17 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like the way you look at things, very refreshing... I started doing something similar many years ago. While I was planning for a long distance move, I couldn't get over just how much crap I had (and how much it was going to cost to move it all)... So I started to purge things... Its amazing how much stuff you really don't need to get by in life, and how liberating it is to not feel like a slave to those things either by having to maintain them. Sometimes more is not better...
chadsmith013 and snyderkv like this.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I like your room! It looks very classy and elegant. Nice job.
snyderkv likes this.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #19 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 688
I have done the full circle myself.........

Started with nothing, craved everything, got everything, realized it was hassle.......went to nothing, now I have everything and live like I have nothing.

It is just stuff........I do not measure myself with it or have emotional attachments to it.

As mentioned above, when you can sit in a empty room as be as content as in any other situation, then your happiness is not situational based or material based.

When your happiness is material based or situationally based , it can be lost or taken.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #20 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@unretarded

I started with nothing. Stayed that way into my late 20's. Got myself together a bit and found a woman to help me pay for stuff. So we bought a lot of stuff! We love stuff. My grandpa used to say "you can't take your money with you" and I have followed that for a while now. But, I am NOT a packrat. If we stop liking part of our stuff we throw it away, then buy new stuff!

You can take a kid out of the poor neighborhood, but you can't take away the dreams that were created in that poor neighborhood.
bluer101 and unretarded like this.

post #21 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
snyderkv.....I sort of get where you are coming from because I now find myself doing something similar but on a much smaller scale that you have . I replaced my pre-pro and amp with an AVR and sold my side surrounds while searching for something cheaper. I also recently sold my theater seats in favor of a sofa borrowed from another room in the the house. My next step is to do a listening test with my Triad Gold LCR's compared to Behringer speakers that are 1/10th the price...if all goes well the Triads will be history.
And yes my 3d projector is on the way out in favor of something cheaper. I like you also find that less is sometimes more and find that I am just as happy if not more with life after my downgrades. Not to mention that my wife finds it simpler to operate LOL. Some people suggest that instead of investing in this hobby one would be better off with an iPad a good set of headphones and a subscription to Netflix.... probably not a bad idea. I suspect though that not too far into the distant future all of us will have the ability to have our very own $100K home theater for a fraction of the price.... compliments of a smart phone and a VR headset...Cheers!
post #22 of 27 Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's ok

Kudos
Cool Post.

Reminds me of where I was after my divorce. Early Eighties....

Big empty house - sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor.
I needed a room mate to keep the bill collectors at bay.

Moving in day for Steve, my buddy.

Steve showed up in his 18 year old VW Beetle. - Packed
We unloaded a Fender Strat, a Gibson Firebird, a Fender Twin Reverb amp and one of those giant army duffel bags.
I said, "I can get a van at work and we'll get the rest of your stuff."
He looked at me and said "That's everything"

I learned a lot about minimalism from Steve.

Went on to make a small fortune and lost a big one.

Starting all over again at 60...

Make do with what you have and be happy with what you got. (Steve was happier with 2 good guitars than I was with my 15 Mid level ones)

Going to do my Multi Purpose Room with the same approach.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Its amazing how much stuff you really don't need to get by in life, and how liberating it is to not feel like a slave to those things either by having to maintain them.

Good point on maintenance. Not just monetary but the emotional cost that stuff can have on the mind.

Like my former $2000 NAD amp that no stereo repair shop would take because they couldn't lift 100lbs onto their work bench.

Or my car that was well known by the enthusiast community to not start one day and without warning. I since freed myself of these things and am happier.

Last edited by snyderkv; 02-20-2017 at 11:31 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbldr View Post
Kudos
Cool Post.

Going to do my Multi Purpose Room with the same approach.

Great thinking
Welcome to the forum by the way.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks

I hope you at least have a couch... You can always walk away and leave it.

I look at it this way. Keep it pared down, It's all just stuff.

In the process of losing a ton and a business, it brought me back to when my buddy moved in.

So after all is said and done I have my wife and my dogs and a couple of close friends.

All the rest, while nice, is just stuff - that if it came down to it, I'd do just fine without it.

Keeping some of my toys makes me happy though and keeps me busy at a hobby level

I think you're on the right track.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I think Ted Kaczynski's minimalist house maybe available to rent!
drunkpenguin likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-Houston View Post
I think Ted Kaczynski's minimalist house maybe available to rent!
Ironically his current house is even more minimalistic. And also, available for a high price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page