Screen wall build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen wall build

My screen wall is 12'5" wide. I have a 120" diagonal screen to go on it. That leaves me 20 inches on each side. I also have a 7'8" ceiling height. I'd like to build a short stage and a false wall to hide my speakers and sink in my screen. I don't know how far to build the wall out in order to give the speakers enough room to work. I also don't know how far to set the screen back. I really want to hide my bookshelf mains that are on stands. Can you guys share some pictures of your set ups if you have something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post
My screen wall is 12'5" wide. I have a 120" diagonal screen to go on it. That leaves me 20 inches on each side. I also have a 7'8" ceiling height. I'd like to build a short stage and a false wall to hide my speakers and sink in my screen. I don't know how far to build the wall out in order to give the speakers enough room to work. I also don't know how far to set the screen back. I really want to hide my bookshelf mains that are on stands. Can you guys share some pictures of your set ups if you have something similar?
This is the best pic i have uploaded at the moment.

I didn't make this but it was here in the basement when I got here. The indent was some sort of shelving area the previous owners had made.

It's about 6 inches deep, almost enough for my mains, but not quite so I built stands:

My mains (older DIY) are ported in the back and I don't hear any difference between pulled away on my stands, or pushed back on the shelf. I would guess if your mains are bookshelf speakers, they don't need much space around them cause they were designed to be on a crowded shelf. Biggest consideration I would have is to keep the front 180 degrees clear. If the area was really deep you could possibly push them back into a cavity and make them sound poor.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

So if I frame out a wall with 2x4's, how do I attach material to it to cover up the studs? I assume this "GOM" material is used to cover it? Or is there something better or cheaper?

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post
This thread might be helpful.
Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, some great reading there, but photobucket pics aren't coming through on my android! I guess I'll be forced to read it at work now. Lol. Thanks for that link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page