the search for a good HT magazine continues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2000, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I travel a lot. In order to pass the time on flights, I have been snagging as many HT magazines as possible. So far, my vote goes to Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater after reading the latest issue of it, Home Theater Magazine, and Audio Video Interiors.

However, I have to take time to complain about the content of the latest purchase. I picked up a copy of Stereo Review's Sound & Vision, which I found to be full of ridiculous statements and totally inacurate information. The highlights:

Editor in Chief Bob Ankosko's opening letter in which he seems amazed that prices of electronics are cheaper and more feature-rich than they were in 1984. The same letter proclaimed that online prices were the same or higher than those of ads in local printed publications.

I guess we should all re-check those great bargains at Circuit City.

Michael Antonoff, in a response to feedback from a reader objecting to the previously published assertion that in the near future a digitally wired wall might be capable of playing back dreams(p. 19):

"...Still, the idea that the brain's electrical activity will never be tapped electronically strikes me as even more unlikely."

And he's Technical Editor!

A DVD review of players for "every budget" in which progressive-scan DVD players was not even mentioned (actually, in several blurbs on DVD players, I didn't see the word 'progressive' anywhere in the magazine).

A comparison of D* and E*, in which they described "Toshiba's DST3000 set-top box performs the same functions as the Thomson receivers..." Now how can they claim to know the performance of a piece of hardware that doesn't exist yet?

Their New Products section, p. 25, in a blurb on the Sharp portable DVD player:

"If you watch Jedi master Yoda decree, 'Size matters not' in The Empire Strikes Back on Sharp's DV-L70U portable DVD player, you'll believe him..." and further on in the same review "if you want to watch the whole Star Wars series, the 2 1/4lb player..."

If you watch any of the Star Wars series on ANY DVD player, you are truly from another galaxy! Either that, or the Force must be seriously with you if you are able to get a rectangular VHS tape into a round DVD hole.

But the one that really, REALLY irked me with pushing the envelop of ridiculous and creative use of ignorance was an article discussing AOLTV, which portrayed a picture, complete with AOLTV menu, of Washington DC's NBC affiliate, WRC channel 4, in which the CBS logo was displayed in the lower right-hand corner! (p. 122)

Is it possible that magazines like this actually sell to the same person more than once, much less an entire subscription? Are the editors and writers of this information even high school graduates? Are cute little tidbits of untruth what it takes to build a reader base?

Sorry folks, I don't often rave about ignorance and apparently deliberate claptrap to lull an audience, but I had to get it out on this one. There were actually some articles that were worth the read (as compared to the instructions on the barf bag in the pocket in front of me), but blatant misinformation, even once, was enough to turn me off of this one forever.

My advice - unless you like flashy advertisements (Sound & Vision had plenty - even cigarette ads), stick with internet forums on the subject of HT. It's the only place I've consistently found the truth to be the norm, rather than an exception.

The search for intelligent life in the galaxy of HT publications continues...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2000, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Another good one is The Perfect Vision.
Old 04-07-2000, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For a good, long flight you can't beat Widescreen Review. Usually you have to read the articles at least 2-or-3 times as they are very technical.
Old 04-07-2000, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I bought Home Theatre Magazine because the cover looked really nice, but what a dissapointment inside.
Baimo
Old 04-07-2000, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was a subscriber to every A/V type
mag that went out of business and
transfered your subscription to SRSV !
Audio mag's recent demise has again
lengthened my subsription to SRSV !
I really hope that HOME THEATER,WIDE-
SCREEN REVIEW,and STEREOFILLED GUIDE
TO HT don't go out of business and give me over to SRSV ! STEREO REVIEW
wasn't particularly good and it's
new incarnation is nearly worthless.
I just wish I owned an animal that
required litter,so I could put SRSV
to it's best use! I'm not sure how
much longer I get SRSV,I just pray
the few useful mag's out there stay
afloat. If they fail,I could get SRSV
forever.I guess I could move and fail
to leave a forwarding address!

------------------

Ms. Bitchlist

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 04-08-2000, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With the demize of Audio magazine, hope to maintain a reasonable level of excellent technical information died. The Flachetti publishing group done it again; destroying one of the best American publications around.
The Current incarnation of Stereo Review is a mixed bag and many mistakes are being published. This one is clearly wasting the talents of people such as Ranada, Nusaine, Pohlman, et al., by obvious corporate idiotic policies...

Home Theater and A/V Interiors are a glossy joke and nearly useless. Can't learn anyhting with real technical depth there. But some readers enjoy seeing what the rich do to lavish upon themselves.

SGTHT has improved a bit but man, are they behind times! They really messed up when they let Gordon Holt go, the one who could have really done great things if left alone to unleash his knowledge of both video and audio matters.

Widescreen Review is been floudering quite a bit the least several issues, but some of the technical depth printed occassionally via some articles redeem the mag's attempt to educate the great HT masses...

That pretty much leaves The Perfect Vision journal, which with some notable exceptions is currently providing the best there's in HT technical information in printed form!

-THTS
Old 04-08-2000, 06:24 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree, TPV is really starting to put it all together.

Widescreen Review points in a different direction, but is fairly interesting, too, and has integrity like TPV.

SGHT has potential but has yet to prove every issue is a worthwhile read. And like Stereophile, I have small doubts about their integrity. I do look forward to receiving my issues of WSR and TPV every month or so, but I've yet to even subscribe to SGHT. It's just not worth it at this point. Same with Hometheater Magazine.

All would do very well to monitor this forum, especially SGHT.

Paul
Old 04-16-2000, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that "The Perfect Vision" does have some excellent equipment reviews. But they take up far too much space on movie reviews and, worse yet, french style movie analysis. Anything beyond a brief description of the film is too much for this type of magazine, we can go elsewhere for better movie reviews.

Old 04-17-2000, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Norde,

The analysis of The Wild Bunch in a recent issue of TPV was worth its weight in gold! An amazing sumary of SP's masterpiece and written with such depth and breadth, it was hard to stop reading. To my knowledge, no one else is doing what that writer is doing for movie reviewing.

TPV has shown a penchant for publishing truly in depth-movie analysis seemingly unsurpassed by anyone else, so it adds to the value of this journal.
And who can forget the series of articles by Joe Capporiccio that were ran in the older TPV format regarding the film industry and the shameful state of archived movies camera negatives, and the fiasco of earlier widescreen laserdisc releases from source materials with much less than stellar pedigree? Aha, TPV, and thank God for that! An eye opener and boy, did those articles jarred the Hollywood movie studios! Lots of positive changes came about because of those articles authored by Joe. Too bad he was silenced...

Personally, I could do with less time spent on audio gear reviewing, particularly when it expands over two or three issues, but TPV isn't the only one doing that; WSR and other publications are even worse in this respect.
I want to learn more about films, video as well as film technologies as these intimately relates to the home theater front, our hobby, one that leaves less room for "private" empirical interpretation than audio, because scientifical parameters can be easily technically tested and verified, but the pool is drying up all too fast!...

-THTS

Old 04-17-2000, 07:10 AM

TPV and Widescreen Review are the most in depth magazines out there and I never miss an issue. I find that I always learn something noteworthy from TPV and WR.

I had been reading SGHT from the very beginning (1995 or 1996)and really for those of us hard-core enthusiasts the magazine has less and less to offer. Back in the good old days (when they were under their old publisher and had Lawrence Ullman as their editor) their articles were always very informative, technically in depth and always strived to educate you. Thomas J Norton used to write such excellent articles and reviews but then I found that the magazine started dumbing things down. Its such a shame. Now its a "fluff" magazine with too many pictures and not enough substance. I still enjoy Michael Fremer's column, but now I just read it in the newstand...substance wise its become so thin that you could go through it in about half an hour.
Old 04-17-2000, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

I would have to agree with most of you except for Widescreen Review. While they make great attempts to give technical reviews of HT equipment, I cannot stand the way they treat the DTS vs. Dolby Digital argument. Gary Weber has blown this format war way out of control. It is one thing to have an opinion, it is another to bring this argument into every single article written in the magazine. Now, I can agree with him that most DTS recorded material sounds better, I just do not want to read that statement every other paragraph. For this reason alone I do not subscribe anymore. But I do admit I pick up an issue here and there when I see them on the rack at the book store.
Old 04-17-2000, 04:03 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

I agree wholeheartedly with one thing especially: I've learned more, and had more enjoyment from 4 months of hanging out at this forum, than I have from the last two years of reading most of these HT publications. It used to be that magazines like The Perfect Vision, of which I am otherwise a big fan, seemed ahead of the curve. No more, though. If you want to be current about the state of the art, you better check forums like this one out. Too often now, magazine printing schedules mean that the pubs are months behind the times. Has even one of them reviewed a properly set up HTPC, to date. I remember one reference to a Digital Connection HTPC product in TPV that was out of date before it hit the newstands. This forum has been talking about the relatively inexpensive cutting edge performance available to those comfortable with PCs for a year or more!

Paul

Paul
Old 04-17-2000, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

Hear, hear! You're absolutely right...about forums like AVS (my favorite, btw, but also like Home Theater Forum mainly because of Tom Vodhanel and Stan, the MEN when it comes to bass repro!). A lot of you guys have brains the size of watermelons, unlike the many pea-brained so-called "reviewers" of a/v gear in most rags now days, and let me tell 'ya, have learned a lot from you (Mark, Mark, Rich, Dennis, Tony, Cliff, Alan, David...and the rest; you know who you are!). Keep it coming! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS
Old 04-17-2000, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Personally,

I am keeping an eye on the May 15 issue of SGHT. I'm excited about it.

(Sorry, my lips are sealed...)

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Old 04-18-2000, 11:17 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I think I figured it out... and it's about time. I just may have to subscribe to SGHT after all.

Paul

PS By the way, where are you in Ottawa? My brother, also a Mark, works on Clarence Street, downtown in the Market, and lives in Aylmer.
Old 04-18-2000, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

All,

We have to remember the preciousness of the availability of this brain-trust we call the internet. To have near instantaneous interaction with anyone around the world is amazing.

One of the negatives of this format is that fact-checking sometimes is replaced with flames...and the inadequacies of language often keep the point from being made.

I still think that print has value...and I now hope to be able to add my two cents to the fray. Keep your eyes on the Guide to Home Theater...we've got some changes and additions going on...

That may sound like a sales pitch, and I apologize if it offends...but like Mark, I have a little insider knowledge of a new column...and we are attempting to structure things to provide more timely reporting of fast moving technical advancements. It is indeed an exciting time to be in the Home Entertainment industry.

John

John Gannon
rogue philosopher & general gadfly

AudioVideo Insight consulting

Previous Guide to HT (Ultimate AV) tech editor & Perfect Vision writer
Old 04-18-2000, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I couldn't agree more, print certainly has its value, which can be backed up by the number of forum readers and posters who also subscribe to different HT magazines. It is also much easier to hold a magazine while sitting on the throne http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Since I have not yet picked up copies of Widescreen Review or The Perfect Vision, I am unable to comment on my enjoyment of either. As stated in the original message, SGHT is the only one so far that I found (as a reasonably new enthusiast of HT) to be both informative and enjoyable. Of course, "forum university" is by no means the definitive criteria for being a magazine reviewer, but I was compelled to post the original message because of the gross misinformation I was subjected to for $4.95.

I have subscribed to SGHT, and look forward to receiving my first issue - hopefully the aforementioned May 15 issue, and hope its content continues to improve.

Having been a gadget and technology freak for years, HT is one of the most exciting obsessions I have ever had. I am fascinated by the news and views I have picked up so far, and agree wholeheartedly, it is indeed an exciting time for us.

And, taking a wild guess, I will go out on a limb and congratulate Mark, David, Alan and the rest of AVS Forum http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Nethawk

- New enthusiast of HT (I'm convinced this stands for "Here Tomorrow")

Old 04-18-2000, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark R,

Is got to be about HT-PCs...and about time!

SGTHT tends to get stuck too much on companies like Proceed (not unlike TPV with Revel, btw) and certain speaker makers.
Very little is talked about newer and more advanced display and video processing devices (Crystal Image, Quadscan, et al) is discussed, let alone "reviewed." These are at the heart of HT'ing, after all.

Since I am a subcriber, I'll be looking for whatever "surprises" SGTHT might have in store for the reader...

-THTS
Old 04-18-2000, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does anyone have information on subscribing to "The Perfect Vision Journal"

Phone number or web site etc?
Old 04-19-2000, 06:15 AM

John, Mark

I will keep an eye on the next SGHT.

It used to be a great magazine and hopefully will be again. And John if you are going to write that new column, I will definitely be re-subscribing again. The best thing about the reviews of video displays was your comments and assessments. Much like John Atkinson's measurements for Stereophile, its things like that which really made me sit up, study, observe and think.

Lloyd
Old 04-19-2000, 08:14 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Frank D,

Go to their website: wwwtheperfectvision.com

Paul
Old 04-19-2000, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Lloyd,

Wow, thanks! Actually, we landed a person with an even more hyperactive brain than myself to follow the computer technology...you might even recognize him from here. Sorry to be so obtuse...secrets are fun to keep.

I get to be Technical Editor (I'm still pinching myself...) filling the not insubstantial shoes of Tom Norton himself (it just dawned on me what a tough act I have to follow, luckily he's still there to kick me into line).

We are very much aware of 'things entertainment'; and the energy level under Tom's leadership is rising. We are moving to Los Angeles to be closer to the heart of the whole industry.

I've been in this crazy industry since 1981 (more than half my life now)...and I really hope to use my talents to benefit everyone. I just have to temper my enthusiasm a bit...I can be overwhelming at times.

J

John Gannon
rogue philosopher & general gadfly

AudioVideo Insight consulting

Previous Guide to HT (Ultimate AV) tech editor & Perfect Vision writer
Old 04-19-2000, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Umm...so that is it! M's...the new... computer... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS
Old 04-20-2000, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm gonna try the PERFECTVISION,I did not know about it.I've never seen it at a newstand.......

------------------

Ms. Bitchlist

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 04-21-2000, 07:36 AM

The 2 best are "Widescreen Review" and "The Perfect Vision". "Perfect Vision" is published by the same people who do "The Absolute Sound", an audio magazine. "Absolute" and "Perfect" move in a big way towards the lunatic, ******** fringe of this hobby.
"Absolute Sound" has had articles lauding the benefits of placing silver dollar sized ebony wood pieces on the walls of the listening room. Supposedly, this "transformed" the room into sonic perfection. This was a product of a company called "Shun Mook" and was quite expensive.
Back when digital recording first appeared (on records, CD had not yet come on the scene), around 1980, "Absolute Sound" actually published an article that stated that the digital sound recorded on a record would cause microscopic fractures on the tonearm of your turntable. I am not kidding! Hip length boots are needed at times to wade thru this stuff.
It is fun to read tho.
There is a lot of nuttness in the audio field. Take what any of these sources say with a grain of salt, unless it's backed up with real facts.