Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes
I'm going to need to upgrade my old AV rack to something newer as I upgrade my setup as the wood side supports on my current unit have started to bow out and it's being held together by canvas tie-down straps at the moment.
I like the idea of something steel as it seems it would be the most robust. Is there anything out there better than this for the price right now? It's a Peerless 30U steel rack on casters.
I have one of these that I bought for my AV closet for the same reason - the amount of gear on the "AV stand" was becoming a problem, and I had to access the back of the gear a lot more than I had expected to...
Check around the web - the shipping charges for the drop-shipped rack can vary wildly, and can easily bring this into the same price range as the Omni rack.
I'm very happy with my Peerless rack, but some things to know:
- The rear rails do not face out (they face to the sides), only useful for shelf supports. You CANNOT rear-mount gear.
- The shelves and vent plates are all included - when comparing to other rack solutions, keep this in mind
- The casters work well, even on carpet
- There are no provisions for side panels (can't seal up the rack for active airflow / cooling)
- You'll need a bag of "cage nuts" to rack most gear (not included, I bought a box of 100 on eBay for ~$20)
I think it's a great rack at a great total price (because of the 5 shelves included). It's well-built, and comes fully assembled, so make sure you can navigate it to it's home. But if I was going to have it exposed out in a room, I'd go with a different unit like the Omni or the Middle Atlantic RDR models which have side panels and door options.