HDMI cable vs conduit - deathmatch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI cable vs conduit - deathmatch

Folks - need sage advice!

I have 30 feet of existing thin, ribbed plastic conduit inside a finished ceiling and walls. Maybe 1". It runs through the ceiling, then makes a 90 degree turn to drop to the floor. I'm trying to fish an HDMI cable through it, and it gets stuck at the bend. Largely because of the size of the head. My current setup is 1080p, but I'd like the wiring to be able to support 4K.

I searched through the forums, most of the suggestions involve using a lubricant. That didn't work. I couldn't find an answer for some of the other options I'm considering:

(1) Could a mini/micro HDMI cable work? The head would be smaller, so would go through. Once through, I could attach a mini to regular HDMI adapter.
(A) Can't find a 30 foot mini/micro HDMI cable. The largest I can find is 25 feet
(B) Any concerns with 4K at that length (and with the adapter?)

(2) If that's a bad idea, then any other suggestions on a 30' HDMI cable with a smaller head?

(3) Any other thoughts? Any cables available with removable heads?

Sage advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about 2 CAT6 ethernet cables and an HDMI to ethernet extender? It will support your needs now and having CAT6 will future proof you for awhile as the extenders get better.
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 113
very dicey to get an HDMI end through 1" smurf tube , especially with a 90 degree bend . Making the head , the part where your pull line joins the HDMI end is critical , if your string is along the side when you tape it , you will be pulling at an angle , even if very slight , it will **** when you start the turn. If you don't create a taper to the end , then the leading edge will catch on one of those ribs.
try taking a piece of string several inches long , loop it over the front face of the HDMI end with a little slack , then securely tape the string to the cord behind the head. Connect your pull line to this , so it can pull from the front center of your cable, then wrap electrical tape from the metal part of the HDMI out the string a bit , you are trying to build up a bit to make a "ramp" , but don't tape up on the plastic part , you don't want to increase the overall diameter any more than you have to . Be careful with your tape , you don't want any sloppy wraps that can catch during your pull.

It was like that when I got here

post #4 of 9 Old Today, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
How about 2 CAT6 ethernet cables and an HDMI to ethernet extender? It will support your needs now and having CAT6 will future proof you for awhile as the extenders get better.
I would do this.
post #5 of 9 Old Today, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
very dicey to get an HDMI end through 1" smurf tube , especially with a 90 degree bend . Making the head , the part where your pull line joins the HDMI end is critical , if your string is along the side when you tape it , you will be pulling at an angle , even if very slight , it will **** when you start the turn. If you don't create a taper to the end , then the leading edge will catch on one of those ribs.
try taking a piece of string several inches long , loop it over the front face of the HDMI end with a little slack , then securely tape the string to the cord behind the head. Connect your pull line to this , so it can pull from the front center of your cable, then wrap electrical tape from the metal part of the HDMI out the string a bit , you are trying to build up a bit to make a "ramp" , but don't tape up on the plastic part , you don't want to increase the overall diameter any more than you have to . Be careful with your tape , you don't want any sloppy wraps that can catch during your pull.
I don't think he has smurf tube. I pulled a 75' HDMI through ~50' of smurf tube with a bit of help pushing on one end, while I pulled on the other. He has rubber water proof electrical conduit.
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
I don't think he has smurf tube. I pulled a 75' HDMI through ~50' of smurf tube with a bit of help pushing on one end, while I pulled on the other. He has rubber water proof electrical conduit.
He said thin ribbed plastic , thats smurf tube , not the official name of course . I'm not sure what you mean by rubber waterproof , maybe the liquidtight flexible metal or nonmetallic conduit? That would be ridiculously cost inefficient and overkill for an hdmi run , at least the metallic version would , in comparison to the tubing designed for low voltage . For his sake I hope thats not the case . Either way , pulling would be the same .

It was like that when I got here
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
He said thin ribbed plastic , thats smurf tube , not the official name of course . I'm not sure what you mean by rubber waterproof , maybe the liquidtight flexible metal or nonmetallic conduit? That would be ridiculously cost inefficient and overkill for an hdmi run , at least the metallic version would , in comparison to the tubing designed for low voltage . For his sake I hope thats not the case . Either way , pulling would be the same .
You're right! I just read some r's an b's and my head went to rubber. And yes, I was referring to the liquid tight stuff.

My entire basement is "smurftube". I have 3 large radius 90's in my 1" conduit and I pulled a fat 75' HDMI through it. If tube wasn't properly secured, I can see it moving some when pulling a thick cable through. I had that problem with a couple of my tubes and it made it a nightmare to pull through.

Last edited by Aberk; Today at 10:41 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just ran a Celerity DFO cable from mycablemart. I ran it through a large smurf tube, so don't have have your conduit issues, but man this cable is tiny and durable. The connectors are miniaturized as well and there is a dongle that needs to be used on either end to go to HDMI. I suspect it will probably make it through your conduit, but would be an expensive error in judgement if it doesn't....

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=6562
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks all for the advice. Yes, it's a 1" smurf tube, alas.

So far, I've found a 25' micro HDMI to HDMI cable + 5 foot HDMI extension + micro HDMI to HDMI adapter. I'll see if that works - I'm concerned that there will be too much signal attenuation due to the joints, but will know when I test it out. That would be the simplest and cheapest approach as the micro HDMI head is small and easy to fish.

The optical cable that AlphaG suggests would work, but is very expensive at $250+

The Cat 6 approach is also viable, though I know nothing about baluns and it seems like a lot of folks have had issues with configuring that system.

Does anyone know which HDMI cable has the slimmest head? The MonoPrice Ultra Slim seems to be the smallest I can find, but I can only find 15' lengths. They are active cables though, and most folks advise against using them for an inwall application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
cable , conduit , hdmi , Home Theater , mini