Basement Build - major project - need help on layout - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basement Build - major project - need help on layout

Hi all,

I am undertaking a significant (in my eyes) project renovating our basement in SE Pennsylvania. It's a true subterranean, poured concrete unfinished basement with two small windows above grade. The idea is to create 1,000 sq. ft. of comfortable living space. One bedroom, full bathroom, office, partial kitchen and of course, a living room/media room. Oh, and adding a full walk-out for exterior access.

I need some help decided on speaker layout and determining if it makes sense to do 5.1.2, or 7.1.2 (or 9.2.4 ). However, before we get into that let's start at the beginning.

Step 1.
Create a plan.

Step 2.
Remove 60 years worth of clothing and old furniture. This was arguably the most difficult part to date. We sent a majority to the Purple Heart Foundation and the rest moved into storage.

Step 3.
Move a bunch of earth.

Step 4.
Design the bar. The counters and floors are just for the rendering - actual material TBD.

Step 5.
Install support beam, remove lally column and let the framing begin!

Step 6.
Finalize living room/HT setup. Would love some help here!

My thought is this:

The rear surrounds will be mounted 12" off of the corners at ceiling height. This will fit nicely with the soffit acting as the "wall" on the left.

Current equipment:
Sony 75" XBR75X850D
Denon AVR-X4300H
2- MartinLogan ESL's
MartinLogan Motif X center channel
2- Martin Logan FX2's
1 - Rythmik LV12R

I'm thinking 5.1 will be sufficient in this space but I'm open to thoughts on 5.1.2, 7.1.2, etc. I'm just afraid I wont be able to take advantage of additional speakers with my seating configuration.

I know the chair will be outside of the sweet spot for the ML's in front- that's why my spot is the middle of the sofa

Last edited by Nick M; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 129
My room is about your size and I have 7.2.4. Most would likely call it overkill...I love it. My room is oriented 90 degrees clockwise from how yours is. I'm not sure how to accommodate your rear channels though.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberk View Post
My room is about your size and I have 7.2.4. Most would likely call it overkill...I love it. My room is oriented 90 degrees clockwise from how yours is. I'm not sure how to accommodate your rear channels though.
Do you have any diagrams of your setup? I'm interested to see the speaker placement. (edit: nvm, just read your build thread)

I would like to rotate 90, but our sofa is about 9' long and wouldn't leave much room on either side. Which means getting theater chairs and I'm trying to balance the budget and approval rating. My lovely wife has been very flexible with the budget, but she definitely wont give up her sofa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms