AVS Forum banner

Help me spend $8k on a new HT room

560 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SmittyJS 
#1 ·
Help me spend $8k on a AV setup.

So my wife and I decided to finish our basement and turn half of it into a theater room.

I've been given a budget of $8,000 to handle sound and video.

I'm wanting to go 4k esp with the upcoming launch of the Optoma UD60, and if possible I'd like to go Dolby Atmos since it's new construction I get in-ceiling / in-wall speakers fairly easily.

Here is what I've worked out so far - 5.1.4 setup.

Video – Optoma UD60 - $2800
Processor = $2k Yamaha CX-A5100
Amplification – dual Emotiva A500 = $1000
RSL C34E ceiling speakers qty4 = $500 & RSL inwall Surround back = $170
Speakers (L/C/R) = Elac Uni-Fi UF5 $1000 / UC5 = $350
Subwoofer=$500 SVS-SB1000 ($450)

The subwoofer will actually replace my stereo setup in the bonus room above the garage, which means my SVS PB16-Ultra will be going to the basement.

This will be a MOVIE only room - so very little music, as I already have a dedicated listening room.

See less See more
#2 ·
That leaves little wiggle room for acoustic treatments, which are needed for the best sound. Is there any way you can squeeze some funds from another category - maybe a less expensive processor?

#3 ·
^+1

For less than $2k, you can get an AVR to handle the processing and amplification, with maybe a single less expensive amp to power your front stage (might be wise since the UF5's are slightly less efficient than your RSL selections).

I've had Onkyo, Pioneer and Marantz AVR's, in that order. The Marantz is by far my favorite (SR6011, purchased from Accessories4Less for $1,000). Assuming you go this route, that frees up roughly $1500 for acoustic treatments. If I weren't a renter, I would upgrade my own. Hell, you could do a lot with $500, even if only in the interrim.

#4 · (Edited)
I'd like to +1 the previous two comments. I don't think you need a processor stand alone. Just get an AVR with preouts and get front stage amplification.

I don't know how your room handles acoustics and its layout but I'd recommend a minimum of two subwoofers if you have more than one seating position (which you probably do). At least consider getting another SVS-SB1000 in the future if possible.

If you like DIY there is also a speaker and sub building route you could take. That's what I did.

Is that Optoma one of the new DLP 4k projectors using the new TI chip?

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I already own a few acoustic panels -- I'll def. get those in this room for sure! I hadn't considered using a receiver for back/surround amplification - that's not a bad idea. the reason I wanted to go with the Yamaha pre is because it's one of the few that I see that use Sabre chips for DAC's which I just love the sound of. I use an Auralic Vega (Sabre based) dac in my listening room so I wanted to stick with the Sabre chips for the HT... however, I know that's not a necessity. do you know of any other receivers that are using the Sabre DAC?

#6 ·
Their high end receivers do too, as do pioneers.

I personally think as good as those speakers are the quality difference of the processor and amp will be wasted somewhat. I'd spend more money on acoustics or even better speakers than the Elacs I would consider that.

My biggest beef with the Elac speakers is they can't play loud enough to reach reference levels cleanly in medium to large sized rooms. They are also amp hungry speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I agree with some of the other posters that you should go with a good AVR instead of separates. It will save you a considerable amount of money and you can to a smaller amp if needed. Also since you are looking for Theater only use, have you looked around at other speaker ideas. Since your mid construction you have a TON of options. Since your going with a projector if you used an AT screen you could locate your front stage behind the screen out of sight. You could do what many have done in your spot and go with some of the models from DIYsoundgroup. They have many options that will put out a ton of sound on little power. Say you spent $2k on an AVr and dropped the amp take that $1k plus the $1350 you were going to spend on your LCR and take that $2350, you could do 3 1099's from DIY SG for $1350 give or take, that will pump out much more sound than the Elac's. The drawback is of course you have to build them, but you can run those at refrence level easy on almost any AVR on the market because they are so sensitive.

#8 ·
If this is a mixed use room and you think you will be using the space with lights on I would consider a screen that can handle some ambient light. That of course adds cost though.

At your price point there aren't a lot of speaker options that aren't diy. If you don't want DIY and want better, you will need to spend more.

#9 ·
I don't know I mean if he goes the AVR route he could free up a good bit of money if he wants to stick with non diy speaker options. I think going with a separate processor and amp is a bad idea just because of the added cost with little benefit. But he could go diy for the front stage, which is where the majority of the sound is going to be coming from anyway and then buy up whatever surround and atmos speakers he wants. As with most things audio related its all subjective of course. I just think that going diy up front would free up additional money for use in other areas of the room that maybe could use it. Possibly more room treatments, maybe better seating, projector or second sub etc.

#10 ·
Yeah my point was even if you add 2 grand to his speaker budget and make it $3500, In the non-diy arena the options that are as good or better than what we are talking about would be something like JTR. I think it's a great option but they might stretch the budget too much.

Realistic dynamics are an important part of the movie experience and there just aren't a lot of speakers out there that can do it.

Maybe power sound audio or HSU could be good too. I've not heard them but they look promising as a cheaper option.

Realistically you should concentrate most of the budget into the speakers. From a sound standpoint it's the most important single factor outside the room itself. The difference between competent receiver and a processor amp combo is maybe at best a 5% improvement. The difference between ok speakers and great speakers can be more like 50% improvement.

#12 ·
OK - So I can go with different front speakers.. some of the options I'm looking at right now are

Tekton Paradigm - if I go this route I'll need to use the receiver for all 9 speakers, but these are super efficient speakers
PSB Imagine T -- might be able to squeeze a used XPA-3 with these
B&W 683 -- always been a fan of B&W signature sound
Used Vandersteen 2Ce -- I love their sound in general.

Man this is harder than I thought!

#13 ·
Here is what I've worked out so far - 5.1.4 setup.

Video – Optoma UD60 - $2800
Processor = $2k Yamaha CX-A5100
Amplification – dual Emotiva A500 = $1000
RSL C34E ceiling speakers qty4 = $500 & RSL inwall Surround back = $170
Speakers (L/C/R) = Elac Uni-Fi UF5 $1000 / UC5 = $350
Subwoofer=$500 SVS-SB1000

If it were me.....

Id ditch atmos (personal preference, not worth the Hassel to me)

Get oppo 4k bluray
Seymour av AT screen center stage uf or xd diy screen
Diysoundgroup.com speakers (I'd go wave guide, 88 special x 3 for front sound stage. Or htm 10 or 12).
Not sure what I'd run for surrounds honestly, new htm 6 would work I bet.
A marantz 6011 might make the list or pioneer elite, might check out what outlaw audio has to offer, I'm not receiver savvy right now so I'd research it.

The svs pb16 ultra might stay since I've never heard one, I'd want something with dsp though. Perhaps build 2 ported marty 18s, or one or two f20 horns.

A lot can be had for 8000$ in diy land for sound and screen. I know oppo blurays do a lot of sound processing and I'm currently running my outlaw 1050 in source direct from an oppo and im happy, dts hd can get a little crazy though! My knowledge of processors and receivers is limited. The value per dollar spent is extremely high in doing diy, and with flat packs and some coming with the option of assembled crossovers your only job is to finish the cabinets cosmetically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.